The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mornington Crescent (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13290)

limey 02-09-2007 01:00 PM

Mornington Crescent

I think the Cellar is ready for this. I know that there are some experienced players out there, SundaeGirl has it in her genes, Steve Dallas is surprisingly knowledgeable, Labrat is reading up on the rules, and I'd be very surprised if CycleFrance is not a regional champion ...
I hereby open the inaugural round of Mornington Crescent in the Cellar. In deference to the presumed number of novice players I suggest we play by the simplified Cardew/Fordyce conventions, as amended in 2006, this amendment subsequently annulled in Janaury 2007 by the Hainault (via Newbury Park) regulation.
I'll open play with a generous move ...
East Finchley.

SteveDallas 02-09-2007 01:13 PM

I'm sorry, I admit I've not play under the Hainault regulation. But was there not some talk of a change to make the Cardew/Fordyce convention more in line with the Islington Protocols, thereby removing the need for such regulations in the first place?

Griff 02-09-2007 01:15 PM

Canary Wharf (Steve that was done away with in the third revision)

Undertoad 02-09-2007 01:18 PM

Uh, I think I've got the basic notion down.

"Russell Square"

Is that OK?

Griff 02-09-2007 01:19 PM

ah, well-played

barefoot serpent 02-09-2007 01:24 PM

does Stoke-on-Trent count?

glatt 02-09-2007 01:25 PM

This is hysterical to someone who doesn't know how to play. Please continue.

jinx 02-09-2007 01:42 PM

Hmmm..... I'm going to have to say..... Dollis Hill.

SteveDallas 02-09-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 314342)
(Steve that was done away with in the third revision)

Thanks, I had forgotten about that revision.

Glatt, feel free to jump in and make a move, once you've read and undertstood all the rules.

Happy Monkey 02-09-2007 02:25 PM

(It's too bad you can't play Mao via bboard...)

Cloud 02-09-2007 02:26 PM

As a Yank, I'm at a distinct disadvantage here. My only exposure with this is from an uncle's, er . . . longtime companion who was a master player. He used to get us playing Acacia Avenue, but I'm sure this group is far too advanced for that. As he grew older, he grew funnier, and used to yell, "no inverse crossings!" at us when we cut across his backyard. Alas, he is no more, as he was fatally stung by a mating platypus while "on holiday down under" as he had put it. However, he willed me his battered (and rather smelly) copy of the annotated Finsbury rules, so I hope you will allow this variation in play.

In his honor, I'm going to make an obverse play and say --Vauxhall.

DanaC 02-09-2007 03:14 PM

Ooof. Didn't see that move coming.

limey 02-09-2007 03:41 PM

I'm delighted to see that this has got off to a flying start, but I'm afraid your move, Cloud, of Vauxhall, puts you in huff and has to be disallowed, especially in view of the Islington Protocol about which I had totally forgotten (thank you Steve).
I therefore counter with
Island Gardens.

lumberjim 02-09-2007 04:20 PM

ooo. dirty.

glatt 02-09-2007 04:35 PM

I downloaded the PDF of the amended rules from the second international congress and am only about halfway through, but I think I've discovered a weakness in the standard strategy. This may be a foolish mistake, but I'm moving straight to King's Cross.

Please have mercy on me.

limey 02-09-2007 04:42 PM

A very crafty play, glatt. It seems that both you and UT (who also seems to have an excellent grasp of the rules) are born exponents of the game. I may have been mistaken in giving such a generous opening move ...

limey 02-09-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot serpent (Post 314348)
does Stoke-on-Trent count?

Don't think that no-one noticed your ingenious move to Stoke on Trent, barefoot serpent; you almost put UT in knip.

Cloud 02-09-2007 10:35 PM

Okay, I've had to cheat a little, and get help from my grandson, since my copy of the Finsbury rules has a big--unidentified--stain obscuring the section on permissible counters to knips, and loops, which I need.

They are teaching his class MC as a memory and strategy aide, based on a text called, "Let's Play Morningstar Crescent: Simplified American Standard." Based on his help (he's 7):

Shepherd's Bush to block.

monster 02-09-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 314434)
Okay, I've had to cheat a little, and get help from my grandson.

Grandson? GRANDSON? I need to see picture proof you're old enough to have a grandson.
Preferably nekkid picture proof.

Oh Mornington Crescent? Hmmmm

Shepherd's Bush was ruled PG13 and as such is unacceptable in the basic verion of the game. I believe that puts you in Knip and offers me the opportunity to sneak in a quick World Trade Center :eek: I sense an Aldwych coming on.....

Cloud 02-09-2007 11:41 PM

I beg your pardon, Monster, but I believe your interpretation of the rules is incorrect. Certainly, I'm older than 13 (with FIVE and 3/4 grandchildren, no less), so Shepherd's Bush should be a perfectly acceptable move.

However, in the spirit of cooperation, and given that most of us are still learning the ins and outs, I'm going to ask for someone to offer me a trade-up play, in return for a--I think it's called a one-over?--so I can get myself out of knip, thank you very much.

some help from the more experienced players might be nice. Show us newbies how it's done!

monster 02-09-2007 11:49 PM

Could we compromise with World Trade Center but no Knip and I'll protect you against Aldwych?

(There are no newbies -Limey was just trying the sucker-punch)

Cloud 02-09-2007 11:53 PM

That's sounds fair. As I understand it, two players can cooperate on a one-over, as long as there are no loops in play. I suck at games, sorry.

except for Trivial Pursuit. I kick ass at Trivial Pursuit! not the music version, though.

limey 02-11-2007 02:41 PM

In the recent definitive match of Smy vs. Smye manouevres like this were brought into question, though I think that was quite understandable as there were only two players in the game.
This game is developing along an interesting trajectory, with the translatlantic stamp certainly making a difference to the moves chosen - I'll venture into new territory myself and suggest advancing to Greenwich Village ...

Undertoad 02-11-2007 03:45 PM

Am I a novice or is that a disqualification?

Cloud 02-11-2007 05:32 PM

Assuming your advance is an actual play, rather than a "suggestion," Limey, I believe that introduces a North-South vulnerabilty. Therefore, my next move will be to:

Walthamstow Central.

limey 02-11-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 314760)
Am I a novice or is that a disqualification?

You are right, UT, I shouldn't have presented the move as a "suggestion". I am sure that you have referred to the reports of the 1826 friendly transatlantic tournament between teams from Horse Springs (USA) and Altrincham (UK) in which this matter was clarified in a friendly manner. I stand corrected and will make no more suggestions, only actual moves.

Undertoad 02-11-2007 06:46 PM

Phew... I'd hoped I wasn't speaking out of turn.

monster 02-11-2007 07:00 PM

Well clearly the only sensible move to be made from Wathamstow is direct to Grange Hill -the Bronson Memorial Manoover (sic). Get out of that one!

SteveDallas 02-11-2007 07:33 PM

You've got it backwards I'm afraid... the Bronson Memorial Manoover, if that's really what you want to do, would require you to move to Cockfosters.

monster 02-11-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 314832)
You've got it backwards I'm afraid... the Bronson Memorial Manoover, if that's really what you want to do, would require you to move to Cockfosters.

I think you're a little confused -that's the Brisley Maneuver, also known as the Brown Line Detour.

http://tv.cream.org/arkwelimages/gh.gif

SteveDallas 02-11-2007 08:24 PM

I have a great deal of experience with the Brown Line Detour, and I assure you that's not it.

monster 02-11-2007 09:16 PM

I bow to your greater knowledge, but stand by Grange Hill as the next stop.

Cloud 02-12-2007 12:44 AM

I know myself. I'm going to get my feelings hurt if I continue to play, so I think I'm going to withdraw. If anyone needs to consult the Finsbury rules for any reason, just let me know.

Play fair!

Undertoad 02-12-2007 01:00 AM

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But I do want to play Barking. I feel strongly about it. Barking Barking Barking!

Cloud 02-12-2007 01:10 AM

down boy!

limey 02-12-2007 02:45 AM

I'll take the bait, UT - Isle of Dogs!

Sundae 02-12-2007 03:15 AM

Can we please move out of East London as I see them as stations rather than moves... There's a wonderful Italian ice cream shop in Barking...

Anyway.

As Barking is wild - being a mainline station - I move Barking to West Ham to Stratford- two to three privilege sacrificing Plaistow (as this is where my ex used to live so I'm glad to be rid of it).

CzinZumerzet 02-12-2007 04:28 AM

I can't believe the opportunity for this classic move presented itself so readily! Playing as a veteran of many years standing, since before the Jubilee and The Oyster existed, I give you

Camden Town.

Cyclefrance 02-12-2007 05:58 AM

Time for an east-west Joker - via the Circle Line jug handle which isolates Earls Court (I have a feeling that might be about to be played - could be wrong though - bit of nail-biter) - so it's High Street Kensington with a compulsory northbound intervention.

Griff 02-12-2007 06:01 AM

I think that closes the Canus Gambit.
Warren Street

limey 02-12-2007 12:53 PM

I knew Cyclefrance was of championship ability ...

Spexxvet 02-12-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 314835)
I think you're a little confused -that's the Brisley Maneuver, also known as the Brown Line Detour.

Isn't it the Ball-Sac Binding Maneuver?

Cyclefrance 02-12-2007 06:25 PM

You're getting too close to Hampton Court introducing the Ball Sac Binding Manoeuvre (and that can be painfull - as well as being overground)

But I think I have time to slip in a Shepherds Bush while you're not looking...

SteveDallas 02-12-2007 06:28 PM

I'm beginning to see that radio broadcasts that I've heard have been heavily edited.

monster 02-12-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclefrance (Post 315164)
But I think I have time to slip in a Shepherds Bush while you're not looking...

I'm going to queer your crafty pitch for Shepherds Bush with a little Swiss Cottaging.

CzinZumerzet 02-13-2007 03:57 AM

Speaking of which - Hamstead

Sundae 02-13-2007 04:05 AM

Hampstead I presume?
At which point you lay yourself wide open for the classic blocking manouevre:

Euston

(try & get back to Mornington Crescent from that one! HA!)

CzinZumerzet 02-13-2007 04:21 AM

Hells teeth! And I was poised to leap en passent to MC from there.

OK and don't say you weren't warned.

ANGEL:worried:

monster 02-13-2007 07:16 AM

Well that's just backwards! I'm rolling a nine on that one and moving to Marylebone.

CzinZumerzet 02-13-2007 08:04 AM

Hokey Dokey.

Really elegant reversal there Monster, and to be sure Marylebone does challenge the 1926 ruling on High Church traversal, at least with four or more players. Interesting precedent in (I believe) 1953 due to its being Coronation year of course. Thought provoking. Anyway I digress. OVAL

Cyclefrance 02-13-2007 08:21 AM

Hardly cricket CZ! And I'm sure the 1926 ruling was amended by the d"Oyly Carte variant of 1936 covering odd-numbered players on weekdays. Add to this the Festival of Britain appendix (Skylon mark 3 revision) and I am left with no choice other than to play ST. JAMES'S PARK. Not very good-spirited, I admit, but my hands are tied, as I am sure you will appreciate.

limey 02-13-2007 12:40 PM

Almost certainly a feint by CF to bring on a cascade (Parks and Gardens in this case) as referred to in the Wheatstone Memorial Game currently ongoing elsewhere in the ether ... There is , of course, the possibility of a Hagiographic Strategem as perpetrated in the Vatican City Mornington Crescent Tournament of 1933 ... hm... which to choose ... better be quick before someone blocks me ...

St Pancras!

CzinZumerzet 02-13-2007 02:25 PM

Zounds B-Limey, you'll have to get up a little earlier if you think you're going to slide that one past us. Pretty reminiscent of the famous Ruskin-Redgrave manouvre of 1932 if I'm not mistaken. Before our time admittedly but re-enacted by Garden v. Rice at Chichester during the Summer festival of 1976, the year of the great drought and silver jubilee. I am surprised at you but nevertheless impressed!

In the spirit of Brooke-Taylor, Kew Gardens.

Cyclefrance 02-13-2007 03:16 PM

Damn'ee CZ - you know horticulture 's my weak point, but it's not the end of the line yet you know... unless.....

MORDEN

Undertoad 02-13-2007 03:33 PM

Simply because I'm a new player, I'm not afraid of the controversy:

Heathrow Terminal 4

monster 02-13-2007 07:39 PM

*sharp intake of breath over the teeth*........

Tonchi 02-14-2007 02:13 AM

Tower of London, please. And I claim the dozen scones (heh heh)

CzinZumerzet 02-14-2007 05:18 PM

Tonchi I think perhaps you meant Tower Hill where the District and Circle skim west just before the old Tower itself, unless yours was a devious ploy to liberate the stone=scone under cover of playing the game...? Deeply sneaky.

Out at Terminal Four Ut, pretty wild and wily, we must watch you very closely.

My work today took me into the lives and loves of Bedlam so partly in their honour I give you LAMBETH NORTH

lumberjim 02-14-2007 05:20 PM

one up, two down. drink.

Tonchi 02-15-2007 02:28 AM

If you stop at Tower Hill first, the ravens will see you coming and block the scones nicking. Tower of London manoever was taught to me by a Chilean refugee from the Pinochet regime in 1974, and I feel it only fair to mention it only works outward bound. Carry on.