The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

infinite monkey 04-22-2011 03:00 PM

Jebus. I swear. I've screwed up a list and I have to hand enter a bunch of numbers to fix it because my heads been all wrapped up in the Cellar today but IT'S WORTH IT. That comment made me really stifle a hearty guffaw, SG.

plthijinx 04-22-2011 08:41 PM

Took off work early to come watch dr. Froth play a gig tonight. Should be a bad ass show!

ZenGum 04-22-2011 09:04 PM

Teh Cellar is making me happy today.

It has been a bit dull of recent weeks, but throw in one nutty noob and voila!
I just read the last 10 pages or so of the academy award thread. Wow. I had tears in my eyes by the end of it.
Sundae's tits invading France topped it off.

And I'm happy that Big Sarge is back and okay.

bluecuracao 04-22-2011 09:24 PM

Same here. I should have left the house half an hour ago, but it's just too much fun around here tonight.

Pico and ME 04-22-2011 09:31 PM

Ah hell, Ive been no good the last few days because of the cellar.

Griff 04-23-2011 09:01 AM

pensive pam was fun, I wonder what character she'll roll with next?

Sundae 04-23-2011 09:13 AM

It was a wonderful, if brief, interlude wasn't it?
Brought out the best in us.

I worry about my repressed anger sometimes.
It's so cathartic to be mean to someone knowing that it isn't real.
Maybe I need to take up a highly padded contact sport.

HungLikeJesus 04-23-2011 12:04 PM

You could be queen of the roller derby.

elSicomoro 04-23-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 726258)
pensive pam was fun, I wonder what character she'll roll with next?

Okay, so I was actually pensive pam.

Or was I?

plthijinx 04-24-2011 03:25 AM

oh lawd syc! lmao!

well i haven't posted about this yet, but last thurday i was promoted to a manager position at the track. i will only *manage* (ie. be responsible for closing duties) twice a week. but it's a start. no raise in pay at the moment and don't expect one. not at the present time anyway. just nice knowing that the trust is there.

Sundae 04-24-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 726300)
You could be queen of the roller derby.

I would love that SO MUCH!
Sadly, I haven't been physically brave since I was 12 years old.

limey 04-24-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 726521)
oh lawd syc! lmao!

well i haven't posted about this yet, but last thurday i was promoted to a manager position at the track. i will only *manage* (ie. be responsible for closing duties) twice a week. but it's a start. no raise in pay at the moment and don't expect one. not at the present time anyway. just nice knowing that the trust is there.

Good for you, plthijinx! (By the way, how do you say that?).

DanaC 04-24-2011 06:06 AM

As I recall the pronunication is pilot hijinx.

ZenGum 04-24-2011 06:07 AM

Sundae, I could almost see you doing that ... except for how easily you bruise.

monster 04-24-2011 07:59 AM

She could be Bruised Brittania

plthijinx 04-24-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 726533)

thanks limey and yeah, dana got it right :)

limey 04-24-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 726533)

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 726564)
thanks limey and yeah, dana got it right :)

I've always imagined the first five to seven letters are pronounced like that noise you make when a fly flies into your mouth and you're trying to eject it ... "plthiji" ... expect it would be better if it were "plthiju" I think.

Big Sarge 04-24-2011 11:57 AM

I always thought it was plthi-jinx

DanaC 04-24-2011 12:36 PM

I still have to mentally correct it from 'filthy jinx' which is how it looks to me.

BigV 04-24-2011 12:42 PM

Breakfast for me and the boys: biscuits and country gravy with some ground beef, scrambled eggs, fruit smoothies. I'm the customer for the coffee. The boys are making up for it with a continuation of their Mortal Kombat Marathon. Then, back to SakuraCon!

plthijinx 04-25-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 726580)
I still have to mentally correct it from 'filthy jinx' which is how it looks to me.

awwww man. never been called filthy before!

nah, i got it from air america when billy first arrived in country and was at preflight when the other pilots started kiddin around with him.

Tulip 04-25-2011 10:37 AM

Filthy Jinx....hmmm.....

elSicomoro 04-25-2011 12:29 PM

I have a girlfriend.

glatt 04-25-2011 12:35 PM

Way to go!

DanaC 04-25-2011 01:44 PM

Awesome sauce.

This the same lass you were interested in the other week?

Sundae 04-25-2011 02:33 PM

OMG I just got to talk to Sarge!
He is so lovely to speak to.
I'm afraid I was delighted by his accent and giggled a bit...
I just hadn't expected it - it's pretty sexy.

Just one ouchie - apparently last time you called it was gone 23.00 here.
It woke Mum up as she has a phone by her bed. She couldn't hear properly, but decided it wasn't an emergency and hung up. Which explains why I wasn't aware of a missed call :)

Trilby 04-25-2011 02:34 PM

OOOooo! Lucky Sundae! How cool!

Big Sarge 04-25-2011 03:26 PM

Sorry SG. I miscalculated GMT. Tell her I'm sorry. I thought that you on the line and when I said I wanted to.........

BigV 04-26-2011 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's "sunny" at the moment, but it looks like the weather's rolling in.... I'm gonna go plant that bamboo. Talk to y'all later.

HungLikeJesus 04-26-2011 04:41 PM

Thunder-snow!

pensive pam 04-26-2011 06:29 PM

ok, i have arrived on this thread now. i am sorry for posting my 'happy day' on the 'home base.' i am still learning, and have requested that moderation move the post to here as Dana suggested. sorry for the wrong forum site.

Peace,
Pam.

DanaC 04-26-2011 06:29 PM

Several things are making me happy today:

1. For the past couple of weeks I've been working on and off (in fits and starts as the mood takes me) on transcribing two ledgers containing summary details of all General Regimental Courts Martial held against British soldiers and militia between 1811 and 1825. Each record goes across two pages with several predefined fields filled in. I've been putting them into an Excel spreadsheet, with various fields to show what kind of crime (desertion, theft, violent, sexual) and against whom (civilian, comrade, regiment/king's yards), along with transcribing in full the details of the charge and sentence as it appears in the text.

It's laborious work. And I can only do it for a little while before I want to let my eyes close. But today i realised I had done just over 200 records :) It's starting to look like a useful document. Yey. I am hoping that I can get a few more done tomorrow and maybe start picking up the pace a bit now and get some momentum gathering.

2. Mum's totally loving her new I-pad. She got up this morning, made herself a cup of tea and some toast and then went back to bed and sat up watching comedy programmes on BBCIplayer. She is totally revelling in it. I am sooo glad I got everyone on board for that gift. Not that they took any real persuasion lol.

3. I have, it would seem, made a new friend in the Cellar!

HungLikeJesus 04-26-2011 06:35 PM

Are you going to use a pivot table to summarize the data? That would really only work if there are a limited number of repeating values in a given data field (like you've listed for crime and whom). Also, have you made drop-downs for the common data (i.e. validation), so you don't have to type it each time? That also helps reduce errors and variation in spelling.

DanaC 04-26-2011 06:57 PM

I haven't created dropdowns, but it does an auto type when I get so far into the word if it's a word or hrase I have already used.

The trouble is that there isn't really a consistency within the source material. There are repeating patterns, but for instance, the same regiment might be listed as 33rd Foot, or 33rd Regiment of Foot, or theymay appear as 1st Battalion, 33rd Regiment of Foot, etc. Likewise trials may be held at Sunderland, or at Sunderland Barracks. Or they may be held at Uptown Camp Jamaica, or just Jamaica.

Similarly, the sentences can be written differently: so, three months solitary confinement and put under stoppages, or three months in solitary confinement & put on stoppages. Where I am transcribing, rather than adding a 1 to a column (crime types and against whom, guilty, acquitted) I am trying to be exact. I may end up rationalising them at the end, at which point dropdowns would be useful. Until I know what else I am going to come across, and what permutations of regimental and company names, I think I have to just type :p

Big Sarge 04-26-2011 07:12 PM

Yeah! I now have 2 friends on here. TY pensive pam for the add

glatt 04-26-2011 07:51 PM

I fixed my computer! I love it when I learn how to do something new and save some money.

HungLikeJesus 04-26-2011 07:52 PM

Was it the power switch?

DanaC 04-26-2011 07:52 PM

Great stuff Glatt. What was amiss?

glatt 04-26-2011 08:11 PM

It was the power supply. Replaced it and it works!

monster 04-26-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 727528)
Thunder-snow!

I want thunder snow.

monster 04-26-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 727578)
33rd Foot

Wow, he is old! and gets around a bit.....

Griff 04-26-2011 08:48 PM

Someone sent me an anonymous invite to the secret forum! Awesome!

monster 04-26-2011 08:51 PM

*schtum*

DanaC 04-26-2011 09:16 PM

If i dont get a secret invite to the secret forum i bastard well invented I will be very upset...

Very upset

morethanpretty 04-26-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 727683)
If i dont get a secret invite to the secret forum i bastard well invented I will be very upset...

Very upset

Dana, you did it wrong. You should have started a new whole thread about how upset you are to not get invite to secret forum you invented.

footfootfoot 04-26-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 727683)

Very upset

Two nuns, Sister Mary Agnes and Sister Mary Vincent, are traveling through Europe in their car, sightseeing in Transylvania. As they are stopped at a traffic light, out of nowhere, a small vampire jumps onto the hood of the car and hisses at them through the windshield.

"Quick, quick!" shouts Sister Mary Agnes, "What should we do?"

"Turn the windshield wipers on. That will get rid of the abomination," says Sister Mary Vincent.

Sister Mary Agnes switches on the wipers, which knocks the mini Dracula around. But, he hangs on and continues hissing at the nuns. "What shall I do now?" she shouts.

"Try the windshield washer. I filled it with holy water before we left the Vatican," replies Sister Mary Vincent.

Sister Mary Agnes turns on the windshield washer. The vampire screams as the water burns his skin, but he hangs on and continues hissing at the nuns.

"Now what?" shouts Sister Mary Agnes.

"Show him your cross," says Sister Mary Vincent.

"Now you're talking," says Sister Mary Agnes. She then opens the window, leans out and shouts, "GET THE FUCK OFF OUR CAR!"

DanaC 04-26-2011 09:30 PM

Why are you trying to destroy my soul Moar?? Why would you even do such a thing?

[i lawled 3ft]

morethanpretty 04-26-2011 09:41 PM

I am sorry, I made a mistake and now I really regret it.....I am an awful person for insulting my friend Dana. Can we be friends again? If we can not be friends again I will just go and drink wine....I am sorry I do not deserve any friends,, I will drink wine and not post again tonight.

sad,
MTP

monster 04-26-2011 09:44 PM

ENUFF ALREADY!

BigV 04-26-2011 09:44 PM

hey mtp

before you finish that wine....

pls tell me you're happy with what you learned about your new keyboard experiments.

morethanpretty 04-26-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 727702)
hey mtp

before you finish that wine....

pls tell me you're happy with what you learned about your new keyboard experiments.

I'm quite positive I need a motherboard at this point. Not only do I have the keyboard issue, but my battery will not charge, I have to use it on the power cord. In my research A LOT of people said it was the motherboard on a Dell laptop like mine. Also, I suspect my fan is not working properly causing the laptop to overheat and shut off even doing my best to keep it from doing so. All these components are controlled by the MB right? So now I'm researching replacing the MB but I'm a bit intimidated looking at the guides right now, I just don't have enough knowledge to understand it all. Plus I'm nervous about installing it, it looks a lot more complicated than RAM, internal keyboard, hard drive and wireless cards...all things I have done. So I'm a little bit bummed about doing it, but thank you for validating my suspicion. If I decide I really shouldn't mess with it, BIL has a contact who knows someone who does free diagnosis and charges a flat rate of $35 for repair + amount of needed part. Thats not so bad I guess and the person comes with a good review.

DanaC 04-26-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 727701)
ENUFF ALREADY!

I know a song that'll get on your nerves
And this is how it goes ...
Oh, I know a song that'll get on your nerves
And this is hiw it goes...
Oh.....etc

monster 04-26-2011 10:58 PM

I'd take that song over the current meme.....

DanaC 04-27-2011 05:05 AM

lol

fair enough :P

BigV 04-27-2011 06:00 PM

It's raining--I'm happy!

SonofV is in the gym with two friends from school cracking up watching funny youtube videos--I'm happy!

The kitchen's clean--I'm happy!

I just got a call for an interview--I'm very happy!!

Aliantha 04-29-2011 08:26 PM

We're going camping for the long weekend! Dazza and the boys have already left in the boat to set up base camp and then D is coming back for me and the rest of the stuff. :) We haven't been camping since our Xmas holiday, so we've all been looking forward to this weekend.

DanaC 04-30-2011 05:12 AM

Glorious sunshine outside. This year's leaflets have all been delivered: did my last delivery stint this morning, 8:30-10:30. Am having a half hour to chill then I'm walking Pilau and after that I am off to my friend Jill's house, for a couple of hours of cider -fuelled chitchat.

All very pleasant and then round it off with Doctor Who. Hurrah!

jimhelm 05-01-2011 05:34 PM

I am presently relaxing on my deck with a cigar and a Yards Brewery Tavern Ale. Had a nice train ride into the city with the kids today, and visited the Liberty Bell. This is one of the things I had listed on my local tourist list from Cloud's thread. Been here 33 years, and this is the first time I've actually seen the Bell. It was the Kids' first train ride, and they had a great time. In a few minutes here, I'm going to put a DiGiorno Pizza in the oven and hop in the shower. Game of Thrones is on tonight, and I'm hoping to have a friend over to watch it with me. Pretty good day today.

zippyt 05-01-2011 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carols Mothers day Present ,
Now if we can Just have some time that it ISN'T Raining BUCKETS to set it up !!!

jimhelm 05-01-2011 05:43 PM

w00t!