The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Tink 08-01-2008 04:18 PM

For the first time in 3 years I'm ahead of the curve on college funding for the two kids. Done! Now go study!

And I had 60 absolutely-ass-kicking minutes on the treadmill at lunch for that mid-afternoon pick me up.

jinx 08-03-2008 10:18 PM

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL162.../328634848.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL162.../328634858.jpg

zippyt 08-03-2008 10:43 PM

My Nephew Tim ( the Only one I will Deal with ) his girl and their kid came for a visit this week end ,
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/...f502ceeb17.jpg
we went to the river ( HOT DAY )
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/...c93594bcc6.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/...d13fe46fb7.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/...a6158ccb_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/...c118bbd850.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/...539841e9_b.jpg

It was a Good visit !!!

DanaC 08-04-2008 05:59 AM

Your nephew has the sweetest face. Especially on that last pic with little'un sprawled over him.

Sundae 08-04-2008 08:25 AM

I've just applied for my Open University course.
They should get back to me re financial assistance as soon as they've processed the application. I have until 1 September to get the funding agreed.

I've made a start at least.

Clodfobble 08-04-2008 11:29 AM

Congrats, Sundae!

skysidhe 08-04-2008 12:10 PM

I always love seeing Zippyt's photos. They always leave me wishing I was a part of that family.

good photos again jinx

Tink 08-04-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 473649)
I've just applied for my Open University course.
They should get back to me re financial assistance as soon as they've processed the application. I have until 1 September to get the funding agreed.

I've made a start at least.

Nice start. Sometimes I think about school again, but.....I love my job so it's not like a new vocation is in the offing.

Congratulations!:cheerldr:

TheMercenary 08-04-2008 06:19 PM

I had Knee surgery in Nov of 2007 after tearing two meniscus in my knee doing two rugby matches back to back (I am the Ref). It was a long and slow rehab, much longer and slower than my last knee surgery on my other knee. I was having guests from the UK for an exchange in my house for 14 days on St. Pats Day as that is a big 70+ rugby tourny down here hosted by the Savannah Shamrocks. I was really aiming to get back on my game by then. I came close, did three games and totally set myself back to rehab all over as well as synvisc injections. I worked myself back up to 9.5 min miles on the treadmill but still had not run on grass or done any cut runs. This last Sat I was the head ref for a 7's tourny and did about 8 games over the day and was easily able to sprint the full 100 meters (but not effortlessly). I am very happy that I had minimal to no post game swelling. Now I can get back in my game and really hit the pitch to get all the speed back I need for 15's and rebuild my cardio.

Aliantha 08-04-2008 08:17 PM

I got some king george whiting fillets today. They're not native this far north, and very few fish mongers bother bringing them up, but today I was lucky! I also got some nice salmon and tuna, and some prawns and squid tubes.

Later I'm making a chocolate cheesecake.

jinx 08-04-2008 08:23 PM

That's awesome Merc, glad you pulled thru... I've always feared knee injuries, not sure why...
I did 6.4 miles in 2hrs (15 degrees incline) on the treadmill today, which I haven't done in weeks. Been spending too much time lazing at the pool, but posting pictures really helps motivate ;).
Oh, I also did 3 sets of 10 crunches with 50lbs for the first time ever. 50lbs! Woohoo.

Elspode 08-04-2008 09:36 PM

Well, crap, Zip. Not only did I miss getting to meet you and Carol, I missed you fambly as well.

DanaC 08-05-2008 01:34 AM

Sundae, good goin' honey:)

Merc, that's good news

Merc, that's good news

Merc, that's good news, you must be relieved to be back in the saddle :)

DanaC 08-05-2008 01:36 AM

What's making me happy is Cicero's new fur-baby. I am so glad she managed to get permission from the landlord. I can think of few people more obviously in need of a dog:)

Sundae 08-05-2008 04:43 AM

... It is good news of course.
But not 3 times worth...? ;)

Tink, it's a spare time course. Each module is given a certain number of points and you study them one at a time. The first is worth 30 points and is an introductory course, or a diploma in ots own right. It will take 9 months of study at 8 hours a week. Later modules can be up to 16 hours a week. It's still a big commitment as without funding it will cost £610 and getting a degree takes 6 years.

Jinx - you're quite right being proud of them. They look very comfortable on the water.

Glad you're on the mend Merc. Sounds pretty grim. Anything to do with knees creeps me out because mine are so cracky.

Ali - please don't do this to me for the next 9 months. I am going to have to go to the fishmongers now. And it's raining. Sounds gorgeous.

DanaC 08-05-2008 05:16 AM

Bloody laptop and it's over-excitable touchpad! I got halfway through typing my reply and it clicked away from the screen, so I went back to the page and completed my post.....not realising the half-finished post had been posted twice! I didn't even notice til you pointed it out lol.

Tink 08-05-2008 10:03 AM

Coffee. Cup numero uno. Gonna head to the Cafe here and get some scrambled eggs and douse them in hot sauce in a sec.

SG, good luck with the funding. I'm sure good things will happen.

HungLikeJesus 08-05-2008 10:16 AM

SG - when you start school you're going to have to create a "kick-me-out-of-here" thread, like lookout123 did.

Come to think of it, I need a "kick-me-out-of-here" thread.

lookout123 08-05-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

like lookout123 did.
and we all see how well those work. :D

HungLikeJesus 08-05-2008 11:46 AM

Hey, lookout, don't you have work to do? Go on, get out.

How was that?

bbro 08-05-2008 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to Austin to see this guy...and his parents, I suppose:right:

Tink 08-05-2008 01:14 PM

What a cutie!

Shawnee123 08-05-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tink (Post 473967)
What a cutie!

I second that! :)

bbro 08-05-2008 03:15 PM

Thank you both! I am so excited. I have actually only seen him in person once. It is weird to see someone grow up in pictures.

He's my nephew BTW

Cicero 08-05-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 473863)
What's making me happy is Cicero's new fur-baby. I am so glad she managed to get permission from the landlord. I can think of few people more obviously in need of a dog:)

lol! Yea. I'm doggy deprived. (Some may call it doggy desparate)
:D

This ties in with what is making me giddy (happy) today! I'm making plans to drop by again after work to go visit the sweet puppy. (The guy is being very casual about drop-ins and the door is usually open)

I have to get more photos before this dog grows up. I feel like I'm missing out on stuff already! I'll have to be patient it's only 3 or 4 weeks before she's mine full time.
:o

Her 3 week birthday was yesterday. 22 days old today!

DanaC 08-05-2008 04:53 PM

When we brought Pilau home, we were armed with instructions from the breeder for his diet. We continued their practice of giving the pups instant porridge, or scrambled egg for breakfast. No sight sticks in my mind from Pilau's first weeks with us more than that of porridge all over his muzzle. He adored porridge and scrambled egg. Still does. Every Preston Guild* he gets a little as a treat.

*cultural note: if something occurs 'every Preston Guild' it is very occasional.

Razzmatazz13 08-06-2008 11:55 AM

I might have to get this ringtone

Tink 08-06-2008 12:53 PM

Funny! That'll make heads turn when the phone goes.

Me, did 60 minutes on the treadmill this morning and heading back at lunch for the weights.

Clodfobble 08-06-2008 04:03 PM

I made a pasta salad last night that kicked ass! But what's really making me happy is Mr. Clod liked it too--he and I seem to have polar opposite tastebuds; if I love something he's bound to hate it, and vice versa. So it's always a big victory when I find a recipe we both like.

Flint 08-06-2008 04:17 PM

He's supposed to suffer in silence, living out the rest of his years never telling you that he secretly dislikes your mother's meatloaf recipe.

But congratulations on the pasta.

May you be touched by his noodley appendage. :fsm:

Tink 08-07-2008 11:26 AM

Off early today to go volunteer at a Fashion Fundraiser for the Starlight Children's Foundation and vacation day tomorrow.

TheMercenary 08-08-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 473862)

Merc, that's good news, you must be relieved to be back in the saddle :)

Thanks, I really am glad. The true test will not happen til regular 15's starts in a few weeks.

Sundae 08-08-2008 09:21 AM

Just cheered our team on entering the Bird's Nest.
Okay, so they can't hear me, but it's a big thing for me - I watched the entrance of the teams every Olympics.

I was proud to see they didn;t have mobile phones or cameras. Good for them - enjoy it the old fashioned way.

We watched the Opening Ceremony at work for inspiration. There were a lot of elements there we are familiar with, having worked with the British Chinese Community all year. Including the bizarre fondness of the Chinese for bagpipes...?

I was the only one left to watch the teams entering, and even I felt I should bow out after I saw ours. Although I've just caught the USA from my desk. HUGE cheer went up, they all look really hppy and bouncy. Nice white caps and big teeth :) Seriously, they always put on a good show.

BigV 08-08-2008 11:26 AM

Tomorrow is Saturday. Big day!

happy, eh.... not well kindof, but nervous excitement is more precise.

heavy on the nervous

Juniper 08-09-2008 01:07 AM

I just finished my last paper for my political science class. whoo hoo!

Stress Puppy 08-09-2008 07:19 AM

Magic.

Elspode 08-09-2008 04:48 PM

I'm happy today because last night, Selene and her partner Kaleigh were handfasted in our magickal backyard. Over 70 of our friends and loved ones were in attendance. The ceremony was conducted by my very good friends Mike Nichols (globally known Pagan author and researcher) and Jeff (aka Thorgo, former coven brother and Selene's first new High Priest as of last Friday), with me calling East in conjunction with Kaleigh's best friend (who had never done such a thing).

Kaleigh's parents were in attendance. They are wonderful people. They had previously supported Kaleigh in her first "marriage" to her now-ex partner some ten years ago - a full blown marriage replete with printed invitations, gifts and the whole enchilada sans legality. Despite their inherent lack of understanding of our poly lifestyle and the polyfamily that it creates, they were completely onboard with their unqualified love and support for their daughter. Side note - Kaleigh's 60 year old mother is *hot*.

The ceremony was vastly more elaborate than the handfasting (and wedding, for that matter) that Selene and I had. At the last minute, our accquaintances The Blue Pipers (a wonderful gay male couple) volunteered their services, and piped the new couple into and out of the circle. Many bubbles were blown at the end of the ceremony...can't wait to see the pics taken as the photographer entreated the assemblage with "more bubbles! more bubbles!", and I supported him by yelling, "Blow me hardies, blow, damn ye!"

We lit a fire and grazed on numerous tasty finger foods, played music through the PA, and had drumming and fire spinners. My own partner Ruairi (Tree Fae) and I were asked several times when we, too, would grace our community with a similar ceremony...but we aren't at that point - yet.

It was a profoundly perfect evening. Once again, we have imbued our covenstead with energy, love, and sharing.

I truly wish you could have all been there with us as we formally added a new member to our extended family.

HungLikeJesus 08-09-2008 05:43 PM

Elspode - I was thinking about you last night when I watched "Season of the Witch," which is not a typical George Romero film. It wasn't what I expected, but I liked it.

morethanpretty 08-09-2008 06:51 PM

Congratulations Els and to everyone else involved!

Chocolatl 08-09-2008 07:03 PM

Bubbles! Sounds like it was a beautiful event, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of those pictures. Best wishes for Selene and Kaleigh.

jinx 08-09-2008 07:06 PM

Sounds lovely Splode, can't wait to see the pictures *cough*..

Elspode 08-09-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 475170)
Sounds lovely Splode, can't wait to see the pictures *cough*..

Cough? Howscome?

jinx 08-09-2008 09:04 PM

Because I want to see them.... and I'm a little surprised you didn't include any in your post.

ZenGum 08-09-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 475143)
....."Blow me hardies, blow, damn ye!"....

Awesome way to get hitched. But one stray comma can mean so much:

"Blow me hardies, blow, damn ye!"

"Blow, me hardies, blow, damn ye!"

"Blow me, hardies, blow, damn ye!"

:lol:

xoxoxoBruce 08-09-2008 10:51 PM

Damn, I'd love to be your neighbor, 'spode.

Come to think of it, I'd love to talk to your neighbors, without them knowing I know you. :haha:

Elspode 08-09-2008 10:53 PM

Dude next door was mowing his lawn, then stopped...until we began the ceremony, then he started again, and continued until the ceremony ended...and then quit.

We also have a dragstrip a mile away. It was...interesting.

xoxoxoBruce 08-09-2008 10:56 PM

Probably wanted to watch. :D

DanaC 08-10-2008 06:35 AM

Elspode, did you ever watch Star Trek Enterprise? Whenever I read about your poly-lifestyle, it makes me think of the Denobulan Doctor Phlox :P

Griff 08-10-2008 07:58 AM

Congrats to your community Elspode. Do you journal? It seems like your life's journey has a book in it. Setting aside convention gives your life a special insight that others would value. It may even lend something to the greater good.

classicman 08-10-2008 10:51 AM

Congrats to you and your family Els.

For me, A whole weekend away from it all - is it friday yet?

Elspode 08-10-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 475213)
Elspode, did you ever watch Star Trek Enterprise? Whenever I read about your poly-lifestyle, it makes me think of the Denobulan Doctor Phlox :P

I've never seen that particular iteration of Star Trek, Dana.

DanaC 08-10-2008 02:31 PM

Denobulan (sp?) marriages work like this: each spouse has up to three spouses:P

xoxoxoBruce 08-10-2008 02:51 PM

Great, but who cleans the damn toilet? :haha:

DucksNuts 08-10-2008 08:59 PM

Guys reactions to me wearing pigtails today :D

BTW, you guys kinda blow because I have been absent and none of you fuckers noticed.

Just as well Im not needy or anything :p

SteveDallas 08-11-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 475346)
Guys reactions to me wearing pigtails today :D

Photo? :angel:

TheMercenary 08-11-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 475184)
Because I want to see them.... and I'm a little surprised you didn't include any in your post.

I agree, I would really enjoy seeing the pics as well. Post them in the photo thread.

Elspode 08-12-2008 09:10 PM

I'm happy today because, after a lengthy hiatus, I am able to spend time with Leslie again. Now, we'll see if that is to be an ongoing thing, or if it will be otherwise.

Sundae 08-13-2008 05:00 AM

I decided to check online to see if I could get a manual for our anserphone. Yes, of course I could!

So after being here nearly 5 months and accepting that we use a standard message because no-one knew how to personalise it... I can finally give callers some useful information! Starting with the fact that we're only here 10-6, Mon-Fri. Perhaps it's because we're an arts company, but a surprising amount of people call a couple of times over the weekend, leaving increasingly baffled/ irritated messages.