The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

footfootfoot 08-19-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 936494)
Momdigr came back a couple weeks ago from a trip to see family. For one, I'm happy she made the 700 mile round trip with no complications, as she's 65 and drove there by herself.

For two, GreatAuntieDigr sent me, ME, a quilt made by my great-grandmother before my mother was born.

I was stunned just by her generosity. And then I saw the quilt.

:eek:

It looks like it was made yesterday. Not so much as a popped stitch anywhere. The colors absolutely pop, no fading, or aging. None. Even the white backing, no stains, no discoloration, whatsoever. Nice and heavy, too, I mean, you could roll this thing up and really clobber somebody.

It's kind of mindboggling, really. This is a ~70-75+ year old quilt that, literally, looks brand new.

Go, go, Greatgrandmadigr!!!

Attachment 53037

Looks my great, great, great grand daddy's axe; the handle's been replaced seven times and the head has been replaced twice. Yep, that's a fine axe. They don't make em like that any more...

That quilt looks unused, maybe they only bring it out for special occasions.

Lamplighter 08-19-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

...the handle's been replaced seven times and the head has been replaced twice...
They don't make em like that any more..
Here's another squirrel/hunter/tree...

Is it still the same axe ?

xoxoxoBruce 08-19-2015 03:59 PM

When someone brought back an axe with a broken fiberglass handle, to Dad's hardware store, the manufacturer's instructions were to give them a new axe, and dispose of the head. I had so many axes I rehandled, I was giving them away down here. :haha:

BigV 08-21-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 935584)
Ha! I had a tingle of familiarity while watching the show, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together to figure out where I recognized that look from. Nice catch, Grav!

Giving Clodfobble a tingle, familiar or otherwise, would make the day of any number of male dwellars (prolly some of the ladies too... not judging). Today, it makes *my* day.

Oh yeah! [/Kool-Aid voice]

it 08-22-2015 12:57 AM

I just discovered youtube speed settings... Everything still audioable at 1.5 and flows so much more nicely. If only I could do this to people IRL...

Gravdigr 08-22-2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 936749)
If only I could do this to people IRL...

Oh, man, wouldn't this be cool...*Pause Button*, and then just walk away.

I want this.

Gravdigr 08-28-2015 11:12 AM

For some reason, I find this just cool as hell:

:D:D:D

xoxoxoBruce 08-28-2015 03:26 PM

I saw that when it was aired, and was worried he was going to crash through the door with the white BelAir behind him earlier. :unsure:

elSicomoro 08-28-2015 08:20 PM

Quick catch-up if we're not friends on Twitter or FB: I had gastric bypass in June...I've been battling weight issues for years. Separately, I lost my job 4 weeks ago, as it was a one-year grant-funded position and I wasn't offered a "replacement" or similar position.

So on the weight front, I'm down 90 pounds since January, which is when I started the bypass program...48 pounds since the actual surgery. Goal is to be down another 100 pounds by Christmas.

On the job front, I've had several interviews over the past 4 weeks, and was offered one job. Unfortunately, I had to turn it down due to a pay impasse. Fortunately, I have a job interview for a position I REALLY want on Monday...in Chicago. Then I got a call today to interview for a position on Tuesday...in St. Louis, which is my hometown. Then there is the possibility that the Mrs. might be getting a promotion to a position that could take us to another fine American city.

Just hopeful that everything works out for the family in the end.

elSicomoro 08-28-2015 09:36 PM

Then there is this fantastic episode of On Point with Sarah Palin that I am watching...featuring Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz, Orrin Hatch and Donald Trump. It has been a hot mess so far and Donald is about to come up!

DanaC 08-29-2015 05:40 AM

Wow, rollercoaster of a year so far for you then. Hope all works out and congrats on the weight loss. Also, good for you sticking to your guns on pay.

BigV 08-29-2015 11:16 AM

wtg elSic!

Sundae 08-30-2015 03:28 PM

Great to hear your news elSic.
Get the camera out, stat! We need photos.

Making me happy?
My weekend.
I haven't been happy all weekend, as I've started a new prescription and it does have side effects to start with. But I've had support.

And my colouring books.
Can't stay precisely inside the lines, because am currently a bit shaky. But I'm tidy enough to smile and smile at the end result.
These are the adult style books, with intricate patterns and drawings, not the kind you give to five year olds with crayons btw.

orthodoc 08-31-2015 04:19 PM

Congrats on the weight loss, elsic! Best wishes on the job front for you and the family.

Glad to hear about your weekend, Sundae. I never could do a good job on those intricate designs. Take a pic of one and post it!

it 08-31-2015 05:19 PM

you know how book is a collection of crazy stunts that have worked when people were stuck in situations that going by the book couldn't provide a solution? My boss made a decision I made at the spur of the moment into a default procedure.

I can now die knowing that I have left a lasting stamp (on a department that's probably going to be replaced by AI in a municipality that's probably going to be consumed into a larger municipality within a country that's probably going to get bombed in a nuclear holocaust within an area of Asia that's probably going to get covered with the rising sea line).