The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

xoxoxoBruce 07-11-2010 01:01 PM

Maybe you could melt it down to do plumbing repairs or something. That way you'd have one less to dust. ;)

Jaydaan 07-12-2010 08:14 PM

I finally found someone to help us with our website! A guy out of the States, who was out of work. Dossy. He said he will get the site up and running, and I can pay him once we start making money. So if anyone needs software help, website help or anything like that, let me know and I will make sure he gets a hold of you. I love people who help others out in a pinch and will support them as much as I can.
That, and I am excited we are about 2 weeks from launching our business!

classicman 07-12-2010 08:25 PM

way to go! Pay it forward....

Clodfobble 07-12-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydaan
Dossy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbandictionary.com
Setting high expectations yet leaving much to be desired. Full of self-proclaimed greatness that is never met. Overhyped, yet disappointing.

I'm going to guess that word has different connotations in Canada, eh?

Jaydaan 07-12-2010 10:45 PM

lol, no clue, its his name.... Dossy Shiobara

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2010 11:10 PM

Dossy Shiobara

lookout123 07-14-2010 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this in the yard before the kids did. At a little over five feet long this is the biggest one I've seen, let alone killed.

skysidhe 07-14-2010 05:40 PM

:eek:

scary

Do you get many rattlers? and do people normally carry anti venom?
I am glad you found it first lookout.

I have never seen a poisonous snake in the wild. After a little research I found out it is because we only have a 2 foot sub species of the rattler and those live in the desert areas.

lookout123 07-14-2010 06:24 PM

We always know they are around and we see one each year usually but this is 2 giant ones in our yard less than a week apart. Very scary indeed.

kerosene 07-14-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 670665)
We always know they are around and we see one each year usually but this is 2 giant ones in our yard less than a week apart. Very scary indeed.

I was just talking to one of our baseball families who is moving to Phoenix next week. They say in Arizona, you guys grow the scariest bugs and creatures. We always hear people warn about rattlers here, but we only find bull snakes (which don't bother me.)

classicman 07-14-2010 08:15 PM

So lookout ... whats for dinner?

Lamplighter 07-14-2010 08:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene (Post 670669)
I was just talking to one of our baseball families who is moving to Phoenix next week. They say in Arizona, you guys grow the scariest bugs and creatures. We always hear people warn about rattlers here, but we only find bull snakes (which don't bother me.)

By coincidence these pics were posted today on another forum that I visit.
I think the bridge is near Loma, Montana, and the author says it's a "bull_gopher snake".

classicman 07-14-2010 08:55 PM

Wow!

Jaydaan 07-15-2010 12:09 AM

I got a 200G bag of MINI liquorice allsorts!! nom nom nom. I might share, but I might not :)

glatt 07-15-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 670689)
By coincidence these pics were posted today on another forum that I visit.
I think the bridge is near Loma, Montana, and the author says it's a "bull_gopher snake".

That's a smart snake. So was it under the bridge and saw the birds' nests and figured out how to get up there to get the eggs, or did it just happen to be on top of the bridge, and it smelled the eggs?

squirell nutkin 07-15-2010 07:34 PM

Eggs? He's got a whole bird in his mouf!

I am happy because I told Time Warner I was leaving them for verizon and they begged me to stay and told me they'd drop my price from $49. per month to $29. per month for 6 months.

At which time I will call them again and tell them I am leaving them for Verizon and then they will either let me go or drop my rate again.

Shawnee123 07-16-2010 07:07 AM

Hmmm, wonder if I could do this with my cable/internet? Oh yeah, I'm too scared to call and ask.

squirell nutkin 07-16-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 670952)
Hmmm, wonder if I could do this with my cable/internet? Oh yeah, I'm too scared to call and ask.

nahh, asking doesn't help. You call and say "I (meaning you, not me) want to disconnect"

And they'll say "But Shaw, why? Why would you do this?"

And you'll say "Because a magic squirell that is invisible told me to. And, I found a much cheaper rate form Verizon."

And they'll say "How about if we give you our customer loyalty rate of much less for six months?"

And you say, "OK, I'll call you in six months and we;ll do the whole thing again." Only don't say this last part out loud.

Clodfobble 07-16-2010 09:56 AM

We just did this exact thing with Time Warner. Saved us $30 a month.

Shawnee123 07-16-2010 10:01 AM

I need to grow a spine. I should also do that with my phone (threaten to switch, not grow it a spine.)

GunMaster357 07-16-2010 03:58 PM

Know what ? I'm Happy !!!!!

I'm on holidays.

DanaC 07-17-2010 05:51 AM

I got final confirmation of my PhD studentship. Full scholarship for three years: fees and maintenance allowance :)

Pilau (who has been on synthetic morphine for the last week) is feeling better and acting more like himself. Last night he made a valiant effort to steal some cooked sausages.

Trilby 07-17-2010 06:25 AM

way to do it, dana! congratulations and yay for Pilau, too.

Griff 07-17-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMaster357 (Post 671021)
Know what ? I'm Happy !!!!!

I'm on holidays.

Cool!
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 671078)
I got final confirmation of my PhD studentship. Full scholarship for three years: fees and maintenance allowance :)

Pilau (who has been on synthetic morphine for the last week) is feeling better and acting more like himself. Last night he made a valiant effort to steal some cooked sausages.

Big news, well done Dana!

Chocolatl 07-17-2010 08:40 AM

Congrats, Dana!

Undertoad 07-17-2010 10:27 AM

Dr. DanaC

Doc Dani

Assistant Pilau

Just trying these on for size.

classicman 07-17-2010 10:57 AM

Great news - thats wonderful!

ZenGum 07-17-2010 08:09 PM

Doc DanaC has a good sound to it.

Clodfobble 07-17-2010 09:16 PM

I'm sorry, Doctor who?

Ah, I slay me...

skysidhe 07-17-2010 09:40 PM

ha! nice...good call clod.

and congrats dana

kerosene 07-17-2010 11:04 PM

:)

We just got back from a pig roast...it turns out it was more like a high school reunion...I reunited with 5 former classmates from high school...haven't seen any of them in 15 years and they live in the same town. I am not sure why, but it was way too much fun.

skysidhe 07-18-2010 12:22 AM

Pigs in a pit are good. mmm

sounds like you had a good time kerosene

DanaC 07-18-2010 06:57 AM

Ta muchly guys:)

Pig roast sounds fun kero!

Bumping into old school friends after a big gap is a fascinating experience I think.

Sundae 07-21-2010 02:56 PM

Last day at school today.
May be my last day ever (refer to whichever thread I wrote in re changing from being on sick-leave to actively seeking work).

So why is this a happy thread?
Because so many children came up to tell me they'd miss me. And this is assuming I'll still be there next year in the class they are leaving.
And I had a five minute chat with Katelynn's Mum on the way in about how K was always coming home and saying, "Mrs O did this and Mrs O said that" etc.
And Grace - who is moving to another school next year - cried and hugged me and asked if I could go to her school too.
And when I was walking home I fell into step with Luke's Dad who immediately knew who I was and thanked me for the gift bags I gave out for my birthday earlier this month, and also said L spoke highly of me.

And I even got some cards and a few prizes! Unexpected and closely treasured. The real thrill is the fact I am just a (two day!) volunteer who these parents have never met and they can only have had my name from the children. A box of chocs here and there isn't all that much, but having touched a child's life briefly is amazing.

If I am not in paid work in September I will be back with a new class.
The good thing is that that's the nature of schoolwork.
I'd rather go to a new school and get paid than remain where I am unpaid - of course!
But if that's not an option I have to figure out a way to work and not give up my voluntary commitments (I've been provisionally accepted as a volunteer by the Girl Guide movement - that's evenings so I can do it whatever else happens)

So it's all good; one way I'll be volunteering in a school rated "outstanding" by OFSTED and knowing that they value me, the other way I'll be back working for a living and improving my life and hopefully back in school at some point.

squirell nutkin 07-21-2010 02:58 PM

My Chip re-setter for my ink cartridge continues to rule.

glatt 07-21-2010 03:21 PM

Sundae, that's fantastic. You deserve the accolades and more.

limey 07-21-2010 04:45 PM

Dana, Sundae - I'm really looking forward to meeting such talented, charming and successful people in Glasgow next January!!
WTG everyone - lots of good news and smiles all round!!

Lamplighter 07-22-2010 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Mom, I'm a Mom too.
This young doe is back visiting us with her 1st offspring.
She wouldn't let us get closer for a pic, but her fawn is looking good.

This family comes around at this time of year to show off their young,
and then disappear until the next summer. Given we are in a developing urban area, each year we fear the traffic will take a final toll.

xoxoxoBruce 07-22-2010 02:09 PM

Cool, are those RR or trolley tracks?

Lamplighter 07-22-2010 03:31 PM

Historically they are Southern Pacific, but were abandoned by SP and are now a sight-seeing trolly that only runs when the mood strikes.

classicman 07-22-2010 03:34 PM

The tracks on the far left look a lil wavy.

Lamplighter 07-22-2010 03:38 PM

More excitement for the tourists...

TheMercenary 07-22-2010 04:53 PM

In a few more years you will have an opportunity to harvest a tasty meal.

xoxoxoBruce 07-22-2010 04:54 PM

Thanks, I thought they looked kind of wavy. :D

Sundae 07-24-2010 06:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went to the Job Centre on Thursday and even found a vacancy using their system while I was there.
It's within public transport reach (although it will require a bit of commitment) but Mum has raised the idea of possibly getting me a second hand scooter again. In truth I'll be very surprised to get to interview stage, but it's a start, and a really unexpected find. I'm waiting for the application form, but in the meantime am doing my research on the internet re the school and the specific things they are looking for.

It's an infant school, so children up to 7, and it's working with a specific pupil. But it's a job and I long for it! And and the pay is quite low. But of course once I'm working I can legally do anything else I fancy to pick up extra money - babysitting, Saturday job, holiday work etc. I have no intention of overloading myself immediately, but it's there as a possibility if I want to save for something.

Talk about jumping the gun! I'll keep you updated of course.

These are the flowers my lovely teacher bought me as a thank-you.
She really is charming - she bought a little something for all the people who come into read, ALL the TAs she works with (as she takes different classes) and the dinner lady who supervises our class. She has class in both ways :)

Trilby 07-24-2010 07:22 AM

Nice! Here's another for you :flower:

Clodfobble 07-24-2010 08:27 AM

I wonder where the teacher ever got the idea that you love pink? ;)

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2010 08:35 AM

:lol: Beat me to it. The teacher sounds like an observant and thoughtful person, with a knack for choosing the right gift.

Shawnee123 07-24-2010 08:47 AM

How sweet! :)

What's it like, to be appreciated at work? ;)

Getgo 07-24-2010 12:51 PM

Still too early to say.

squirell nutkin 07-24-2010 01:09 PM

Is the job hunting process in England so bureaucratic across the board? It seems like its a wonder that anyone is working. Can anyone start a freelance business or just go around and find a place they'd like to work and just apply, or do you have to go through all the rigmarole no matter where you work or what you do?

busterb 07-24-2010 01:26 PM

Saturday. Bath day, and boy do I need it.
Looks like no hope for rain from Bonnie. :smack:

Sundae 07-24-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 672421)
I wonder where the teacher ever got the idea that you love pink? ;)

I know! She must have been going through my rubbish!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 672427)
What's it like, to be appreciated at work? ;)

I'll tell you when I get a job :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 672468)
Is the job hunting process in England so bureaucratic across the board? It seems like its a wonder that anyone is working. Can anyone start a freelance business or just go around and find a place they'd like to work and just apply, or do you have to go through all the rigmarole no matter where you work or what you do?

This is rigmarole associated with 1) coming off benefits (welfare/ social etc) and 2) looking for a job which fits in ideally with a mother's schedule. I didn't choose the job because it was hard to find, I found out that I really wanted to do this job after doing it without pay. I've been looking at websites and in the local paper for months looking for work as a TA, and this is the first advertised vacancy I've found.

In order to receive any funding while I am trying to work as a Teaching Assistant I need to prove I am available and looking for work. Which is understandable. But if I take any part time work to tide me over while looking I lose any other money. I WANT to work, I just don't want to go back into a job that's going to bring me back to the state I was in last year - in daycare.

I've already drafted a letter to the local schools re my (limited) experience and desire to work. But this is the public sector - if they don't have the budget/ vacancy/ need they will not hire. I'm also inhibited re lack of transport. While the 'rents will finance it WHEN I have a job they are not willing to pay up front beforehand. Again, I completely understand and am very grateful that they will consider it in future. Even so I am looking at a 20 mile radius from home.

So it's not so much that job hunting in England is restrictive, it's my personal circumstances. But the positive is I've found something I am confident I can do.

If I've had no luck by Christmas I will seriously rethink - Job Seekers Allowance is very low and I am not looking to be on it long-term. It will cover my debt repayments (only three now) and keep me & Diz alive, but nothing more. But in the mean time I'm still looking at networking - volunteering especially.

lookout123 07-25-2010 11:50 PM

Watched Steve Byrne's new comedy special. Laughed out loud the whole damn time. If you like standup, this is a must see.

glatt 07-26-2010 12:35 PM

Healthy family.

TheMercenary 07-26-2010 06:18 PM

I am off work. %^ hours later... and 40 hours off.

Shawnee123 07-26-2010 06:46 PM

I am happy despite all the crap I'm dealing with. For a number of reasons: I realize I am not a failure because I have crap, everyone has crap. For friends who reach out to you. For even realizing that there are some damn good people on this earth, and we are just all trying to do the best we can, stumbling sometimes, but trying.

Thanks to everyone for helping me today. Your words and kindnesses mean more than I could say.

TheMercenary 07-26-2010 07:14 PM

I shot a Armadillo tonight, that makes me very happy.

Lamplighter 07-26-2010 08:50 PM

An illegal immigrant from Texas ?

classicman 07-26-2010 09:05 PM

an AN AN