The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

xoxoxoBruce 04-08-2010 04:46 PM

What? College? Already? :eek:
But that would make you... um, elderly? :haha:

Griff 04-08-2010 04:55 PM

We're a little early. She's a sophomore and yes I am elderly, since I'll be 6 years qualified for Veteran's fencing soon.

Clodfobble 04-08-2010 05:33 PM

You really do have to start planning by sophomore year, though, especially since it's already April. Good for her (and you) for being prepared. Man, I still remember what an awesome time I had visiting colleges. Damn shame I didn't get to go to any of those. :lol:

(And in that vein, make sure you impress upon her the necessity of having a "sure thing" application--not just a school that she can get into academically, but one that can be afforded if, say, it turns out she qualifies for zero financial aid, the school she wants to go to unexpectedly raises their tuition by 40%, and/or her parents suddenly find themselves with a lot less income that year than they had planned on. The only reason I managed to go to college at all the year I was supposed to was because my mother had forced me to apply to the state university just in case, even though I was quite determined not to go there.)

Undertoad 04-08-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Haverford and Swarthmore are just beautiful and either could be a good fit.
Stevedallas would have a unique perspective here - I think he's worked at both?

fargon 04-08-2010 06:42 PM

I got a letter from social security today, and I have been approved for SSI. That is $959.00 a month on top of the $1228.00 I get from the Veterans Administration. I am also getting $14,000.00 in back pay. I now get fix the A/c in my car. get a Mac, and get a digital SLR. Keryx is going to cut her hours at work, and she can have any thing she wants. My god is an awesome God!!! Praise the Lord!!!

monster 04-08-2010 06:49 PM

excellent news for you :)

TheMercenary 04-08-2010 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Day.

glatt 04-08-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 647186)
Haverford and Swarthmore are just beautiful and either could be a good fit.

both are great schools. All my siblings went to those two schools. I loved the Swarthmore graduation ceremonies. Beautiful campus.

classicman 04-08-2010 08:33 PM

Agreed - beautiful. I'm not far from Swarthmore - err perhaps thats a negative :blush:

xoxoxoBruce 04-08-2010 11:07 PM

Swarthmore's a dry town.

Griff 04-09-2010 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 647212)
I got a letter from social security today, and I have been approved for SSI. That is $959.00 a month on top of the $1228.00 I get from the Veterans Administration. I am also getting $14,000.00 in back pay. I now get fix the A/c in my car. get a Mac, and get a digital SLR. Keryx is going to cut her hours at work, and she can have any thing she wants. My god is an awesome God!!! Praise the Lord!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Griff 04-09-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 647205)
You really do have to start planning by sophomore year, though, especially since it's already April. Good for her (and you) for being prepared. Man, I still remember what an awesome time I had visiting colleges. Damn shame I didn't get to go to any of those. :lol:

(... academically, but one that can be afforded if

These are very selective/expensive schools, she'll need backup as a matter of course. We'll see how the financial aid looks, being heavily endowed Haverford is reportedly very good on that front.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 647211)
Stevedallas would have a unique perspective here - I think he's worked at both?

Good info, if he doesn't pop up, I'll pm.
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 647224)
both are great schools. All my siblings went to those two schools. I loved the Swarthmore graduation ceremonies. Beautiful campus.

Awesome. Feel free to pass on any info that may help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 647246)
Agreed - beautiful. I'm not far from Swarthmore - err perhaps thats a negative :blush:

We both know that ain't true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 647287)
Swarthmore's a dry town.

That no longer hurts my feelings, except that honesty is very important in an alcohol policy. Haverford seems very progressive on that count. Our contact there talked about how it plays out on that campus.

limey 04-09-2010 11:03 AM

Fargon - that's really great news!

Shawnee123 04-09-2010 11:22 AM

In Haverfield, Harvard, and Swarthmore, hurricanes hardly ever happen!

How exciting...the school search. Hard watching the kids grow up?

Griff 04-09-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 647439)
In Haverfield, Harvard, and Swarthmore, hurricanes hardly ever happen!

How exciting...the school search. Hard watching the kids grow up?

Not so much, its pretty cool really. I'm appreciating them now and hoping to help them choose a good path.