The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

BigV 12-14-2012 04:20 PM

I'm happy today because my kid didn't get shot at school today, and neither did any of his schoolmates.

Griff 12-14-2012 05:06 PM

A guy who just started bowhunting our place this year heard about Merlin and actually spent a good chunk of today looking for him. Good people are good.

orthodoc 12-14-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 843762)
If he can swallow it, he can probably pass it.

And since he passed it, we can deduce that he swallowed it ...

and he's totally worth it. ;)

ZenGum 12-14-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 843796)
It would take a helluva lot of extension cords for any of them to be lit, although I guess some of the tinsel-ish garlands might reflect oncoming headlights at night...

You don't have solar powered Xmas lights over there?

Clodfobble 12-15-2012 10:19 AM

I'm sure you could order something like that online for an exorbitant price, but no, I've never seen them myself. We have LED bulbs, and people think that's weird enough.

xoxoxoBruce 12-15-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 843863)
A guy who just started bowhunting our place this year heard about Merlin and actually spent a good chunk of today looking for him. Good people are good.

That's a good reminder, thanks, it brightens my day. :D

Griff 12-15-2012 02:46 PM

In the bitter-sweet department today, Benny had always watched Merlin catch Frisbees showing no desire to get involved. I figured he simply wasn't interested. Turns out he was just respecting the alpha dog. Benny is quite Frisbee mad actually. :)

glatt 12-15-2012 02:50 PM

That is bittersweet.

richlevy 12-15-2012 06:07 PM

My wife is downstairs making potato latkes. I've gone through almost all of Hanukkah without having any, except for a few (literally) made by my sister.

The house smells of oil and potatoes. These are the kind that are made from a dry mix from a box, but I love them. And she's making multiple boxes at once, so that we can reheat the leftovers for days.

My only dilemma is the age old ketchup vs applesauce decision.

Tonights the last night, so this is a great way to close out Hanukkah.

BTW, when I say 'my wife' and don't use her name, it's not intended to be a lack of familiarity. The Cellar is my hobby and I try to keep her name out of it, given that I don't use an alias. Sometimes I slip up with this.

Trilby 12-15-2012 06:11 PM

ketchup vs. applesauce??????

no no no---sour cream!

footfootfoot 12-15-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 843864)
And since he passed it, we can deduce that he swallowed it ...

and he's totally worth it. ;)

Good mom. Bask in your accomplishment.

orthodoc 12-15-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 844056)
Good mom. Bask in your accomplishment.

Thank you. Although it's his accomplishment, not mine. :)

As for latkes/platski - sour cream first, last, and always!! (I learned that platski is the Ukrainian word for latkes, but I suspect it's Polish - probably all of my 'Ukrainian' is Polish. And my French is Quebecois ... I'm a linguistic mess!)

footfootfoot 12-15-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 844061)
Thank you. Although it's his accomplishment, not mine. :)

As for latkes/platski - sour cream first, last, and always!! (I learned that platski is the Ukrainian word for latkes, but I suspect it's Polish - probably all of my 'Ukrainian' is Polish. And my French is Quebecois ... I'm a linguistic mess!)

I think you can take some credit for not raising a slacker who feels everything is owed to him. We are hoping he is of the 1% of lawyers to whom the other 99% give a bad name.

Griff 12-15-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilby (Post 844044)
ketchup vs. applesauce??????

no no no---sour cream!

I had them twice so I had applesauce and then sour cream.

orthodoc 12-15-2012 07:38 PM

Yes, he's in that one percent. His undergrad was in bioengineering and he still loves biotech. IP law is good. :)

(You can't tell I'm proud of him, can you? Thought not.)