View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #29
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
And when you do, you're being an ass. *shrug*
Having had periods when I was overly thin and unable to gain weight (along with times when I was the other way around) for various health reasons, I agree.

My youngest niece is tiny. She's started gaining height, and is now quite tall, but she is still very very slim. I suspect she may always be. She eats as much as any 13 year old. And though she mostly eats a healthy diet, she also likes to pack in a cheeseburger when she can. McDonalds seems to be one of her and her friends' regular haunts.

The truth is whatever shape you are as a woman someone will make you feel shit about it, even if that someone is only yourself. Mostly though it's other people. And yes, women can be bitchy and jealous and all that, but men make casual comments all the time about women's body shape either to their faces or in their hearing.

It seeps into every part of our culture. A constant running commentary, of which this thread is part, on what shape of woman is attractive.

Positive, negative, anti-fat, anti-thin, health-related, beauty related, real and fantasy women. All the time, everywhere in every possible public forum, in all media, across the world, how women should look, act, sound, earn, parent, dress, plan their families, shape their bodies.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote