Thread: Chimney Liner
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Chimney Liner

We have an oil burning furnace that the installers set up to vent straight into a bare brick chimney with no topper on it. We didn't know at the time that it was an issue, but in subsequent years, the burner servicing company has been on me to get the damn thing lined, and put a lid on top. The brick sheds 'crumbs' and the rain turns that into a gritty paste that sits in the bottom of the chimney, and slowly blocks the friggin hole up. It got bad enough once to choke the burner, and fill the house with noxious fumes. So, I finally got my head out of my arse and saved the money I needed to correct this.

It was beyond my capability, and it was feared that I'd either make it worse or fall off the roof to my death, ...but the quote i got was $1500!

My brother is a plumber, and I have on old friend that lives nearby who owns an HVAC business. Between them, we got the job done for $550 ish. I still have to stuff the hole at the bottom with steel wool and then mortar it up with high temp cement for insulation (as soon as i find some), but it's good to go otherwise.

here's the view up the chimney from the bottom:
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote