View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #2038
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Depends who your team leader is.

Some take it very seriously, which is why I need to do it - my bonus and level of pay rise relies on my performance rating. Some don't bother reading it at all.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was based on something concrete and if they gave us a decent amount of time to do it. And if it was genuinely helpful in terms of development.

They do the typical corporate thing of taking something that has a good amount of research underpinning it - using targets and measurable goals as a means to improve productivity and morale, encouraging self-reflection and a sense of personal autonomy etc etc - and then they put it through the corporate mincing machine until it is almost unrecognisable. The goals are too opaque - you can do a really good job, work incredibly hard and be very conscientious and end up with a rating that feels like an insult, mainly because of how it is presented and used. Like, you get a rating of 'performing' which sounds like you are coasting along, just about doing your job - when you read the description it of that rating, it sounds like a really good employee, who does a good job, works hard, is conscientious - and ends up with a bonus worth very little. You read the description of what you have to do for the next rating up and it sounds almost unattainable. The whole thing serves instead to reduce morale and encourage an unhealthy obsession with ratings, and people feeling unappreciated and defeated before they start, thereby increasing stress levels.

I don't really want to engage in the game. I see people emailing round for feedback, and 'shouting out' on Yammer - all of which people then put into their document to justify why they should have a halfway decent payrise.

I don't think I should have to be employee of the year to warrant a payrise above 1.45%
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote