View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #189
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

from here:
The “free speech debate” isn’t really about free speech

The “free speech debate” isn’t really about free speech
The debate over “cancel culture” is about something real. But it’s not about free speech.

Please give this article about twenty minutes of your focused attention. It's an excellent article. Here are my first thoughts about it:

1 -- reality is just a story we tell to each other.
2 -- not every thing is knowable from first hand empirical evidence.
3 -- we find people we trust, to some degree, for some reason, and give them credence.

(his thoughts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Beauchamp at Vox
What’s happening now seems novel because we are currently seeing a wave of social justice activism that seeks to redefine how we understand appropriate debate over these topics, sometimes even pushing to consign to the margins views that may have seemed tolerable in the past. These advocates can and have overreached, and should be criticized when they do. But on the whole, their work is aimed not at restricting freedom but at expanding it — making historically marginalized voices feel comfortable enough in the public square to be their authentic selves, to exist honestly and speak their own truths.
then our dialog disintegrates into cancel culturing each other's sources. naw, just dismissing the argument of the other by dismissing the source. we very often can't agree on first principles. on definitions. on what story is to be told. Sad.

I like this bit:

(his thoughts again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Beauchamp at Vox
It helps to think of this debate as taking place on a spectrum. Social justice advocates think the bands of acceptable opinion and arguments shouldn’t be narrowed, precisely, but rather pushed to the left — shifted to include formerly excluded voices from oppressed communities and to sideline voices that seek to continue their exclusion. Their critics think the traditional bands of debate are, broadly speaking, correct, and that we’d all be worse off if the social justice advocates succeed in moving speech norms in their direction.

Please read and respond, I'd love to know how you think and feel about this issue.