View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 06:06 PM   #1389
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Today I replaced the switch on my 25 year old sliding miter saw for the second time. The Bosch website says it's not available (obsolete) as do all the online replacement parts companies. I found it from a switch manufacturer and inadvertently paid 2nd day priority mail postage. Just as well bc I needed it yesterday.

The last time I replaced it was about 5 or 6 years ago and I forgot what I had done vis-a-vis the wiring. I looked at the diagram (a photo, actually) of the correct wiring and second guessed myself. I followed the color of the spade terminal in the photo rather than the direction the wires were coming from. Saw ran then made a low humming/growling noise like a motor trying to start. I ran to unplug it as it emitted some fragrant smoke from the vent.

Not an expert but I'll definitely take "Not Good" for $500, Alex.

Wired it the correct way and the saw ran without any more smoke but still a lingering aroma.

I thought the saw had a brake when I bought it, and when I replaced the switch the first time (with an OEM part) it no longer had a brake. I wondered if I had done something wrong or if it didn't actually ever have a brake. Still no brake. I checked the brushes and there is a lot of meat left on them and they look fine.

Main worry is: did the smoking do some real damage that will caus ethe saw to shit the bed when I need it most?