View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #34
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Oh I know why it's being done, the profit motive is huge. . .

Sometimes I think the greatest problem with humanity is our willingness to trade quality for price.
It's not just the genetic manipulation that is scary.

I'm personally much more concerned with the use of antibiotics. All the meat eaten in the US comes from animals who have been fed large quantities of antibiotics, whether they need it or not. It's understandable. The farmers want to have healthy animals. Healthy animals are bigger, and have more meat on them. A sick animal may even die. Dead and sickly animals cost the farmer money. A nice plump chicken looks more appealing to the consumer in the store than a skinny sickly looking one.

Only problem is that there are traces of antibiotics left in the meat once we start eating them. Overuse of antibiotics allows germs to get stronger. The weak bacteria die from the antibiotic, and the strong ones live and have children.

The country is basically conducting a strain improvement program on its bacteria. Breeding the bacteria to be more resistant to antibiotics. The antibacterial soap and everything else only makes it worse.

If I were dictator, I would forbid the use of antibiotics in animals. They should only be for human use, under close scrutiny by a doctor.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote