The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

She's saying I should go to Blue Bell where there is a family dentist who screwed up work in my mouth so I brought the story here and we all mocked him relentlessly until a year or so later he actually showed up here
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I recall the mocking - I dont remember him turning up - but then my memory is shocking these days:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #48
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Congrats! I'd love to have one, if I didn't need to get a house with a garage (or even a driveway) as an accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I didn't buy the Full Self Driving option.
Good call. I'm a Tesla fan (and investor) but the one thing I can't argue with critics on is that I don't think it's ready to be paid for now, let alone when they started offering it. Paying for it is essentially like buying the top tier on a crowdfunding site to get access to the beta. Maybe for a game like Subnautica, but maybe not for something that steers my car.

Quote:
It was another $7,000 to get that. I can still add it at any time, but the price went up: it's now $8,000. The theory is that, as it develops, it will be more and more useful over time, and they will continue to increase the price.

If they ever reach complete full autonomy driving, the value is supposed to skyrocket, because at that point the cars can become robo-taxis and just generate money. Some people think it will be worth $100,000.
Would you let your car wander for extra income? Seems like a pretty big mindset change.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #49
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If it made me $30k per year, yes I would!
Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #50
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Musk generates a constant trickle of hints that car autonomy is closer than we expect. That doesn't correspond at all to how things currently operate, but Musk figures there will be a sudden whomp of improvement... by end of 2020. I'm not buying Full Self Driving now, because I'm betting that his schedule will lag -- but I could be wrong.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...opilot-2q-2020
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #51
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh and I missed commenting on this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I'm a Tesla fan (and investor)

well done sir well done
Old 07-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #52
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Thanks. Wish I'd been braver, but can't complain.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Any color but white is an extra $1000, but I just could not have white, due to the racial.
It's a beautiful color but racial? Driving a white vehicle is a racial statement?

Quote:
In all gas cars, when you put your foot down, there is a one-mississippi that happens before you get all of the go-fast power.
I had my one-mississippi removed, along with some physical changes. It took some getting use to at lights, leave a extra half car length and make sure the guy in front is moving before pressing on the go pedal. I would imagine you're in the same boat except for the wizardry that keeps you from running into things.

Quote:
...when you take your foot off the gas, the car uses its forward momentum to recharge the battery. This slows the car considerably --
But the brake lights don't come on?

Quote:
Interior. I really dig the minimal design. No visible air vents, no dash indicators or controls, it's all on the touchscreen.
No line of sight indicators of any information.

Quote:
Tesla actually requires that you name your car.

Quote:
Yes and you have a key that's like a credit card, you can hold up to one edge of the door to lock or unlock it. But mostly you use your phone. Once your phone is set up as a key, you just walk up to the car and get in; the car unlocks for you.
There's no key and fob to do that? You have to have a phone? You can't get in if the car loses power?
Quote:
And with that system, there's no "key in the ignition" step. You just press the brake pedal, and the car adjusts the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel to your settings, and turns on climate (and lights, and wipers, etc). Then you just put it in Drive and go.
----
You walk about 10 feet away from the car, and it recognizes you've walked away and nobody else is in the car. So it locks itself and shuts down the climate and stuff.
You are not in control, the car does what Steve Jobs Elon Musk wants and you get used to it.

Quote:
Third-party website TeslaFi fetches the data from your car and compiles reports about your trips, your charges, etc. geekery dream
Right TeslaFi, division of NSA. Some of their calculations take a huge leap of faith to believe but a comparison if they're off the same amount each time.

Quote:
Musk generates a constant trickle of hints that car autonomy is closer than we expect. I'm not buying Full Self Driving now, because I'm betting that his schedule will lag -- but I could be wrong.
Musk was counting on Trump to cut the red tape but that won't happen.

Bottom line, the perfect car for you. It's already given you enough boners to justify the cost. Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #54
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's a beautiful color but racial? Driving a white vehicle is a racial statement?
S'a joke sir

Quote:
But the brake lights don't come on?
They do.

Quote:
No line of sight indicators of any information.
Could be worse, you could need the information. Like tach, water temp, oil pressure, fuel gauge, these are all no longer needed.

There are a few things I would prefer to have in front of me, but none of them are typical dash indicators. I'd like to have the navigation in front of me, I imagine some cars may have that but I don't know of them.

Quote:
There's no key and fob to do that? You have to have a phone? You can't get in if the car loses power?
You use the regular key which is a credit card, doors are managed off a separate battery from the drive battery.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:40 AM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, you bought blue because you wanted blue. Jokes like that are not a given these days when you listen to the extreme positions being taken.

The brake lights come on from the regen braking without the pedal?

Could be better too, turn signals, high beams, SPEED. You're mistaken, you still need a fuel gage. If it has to be a display at least put it in the center of the wheel.

So there is no way to open the door, at least from the outside, if it doesn't have power regardless of which battery it works off of.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:40 AM   #56
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
t's already given you enough boners to justify the cost.
A whole set of factors lead this to be about the same monthly nut as my previous ride. That includes credit improvements, insurance provider switch, electric provider switch, and the savings of about $80/month in gas once we get back to commuting. And a down payment with a big ol' bonus I got at work

Service should be less. Tires will be more.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:43 AM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

More for tires? What, were you buying crap tires for the other one?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:05 AM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
The brake lights come on from the regen braking without the pedal?
Yes, it goes according to the rate of slowdown

Quote:
Could be better too, turn signals, high beams, SPEED. You're mistaken, you still need a fuel gage.
All the major bits are at the top left of the 15" screen and I don't miss seeing them right in front. It's about the same amount of glance down.

High beams I just keep on automatic; the car manages that.

Don't need a fuel gauge. I'll start every day from home with like 280 miles range. So unless I'm going to drive for 4 hours, I don't need to know the range at all. On a longer trip, the range is managed by the navigation system, generally going to the next supercharger.

In a gas car, you're trained to manage your car's fuel status carefully; and even though you can run out at any time, you run it low for conveniences' sake. You need a gauge. And you need it to be accurate, but it never is...

Quote:
So there is no way to open the door, at least from the outside, if it doesn't have power regardless of which battery it works off of.
That's true, although the battery systems are carefully managed. Meanwhile, I was locked out of a car three times in the last 10 years. Keys locked in the car. Key broken off in the trunk lock. Fob low on battery. Let's see how this next run of ten years goes.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:07 AM   #59
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
More for tires? What, were you buying crap tires for the other one?
I'll need them sooner, because car is very fast.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:44 AM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But you're not doing burnouts, speed shouldn't make a great deal of difference other than the faster you travel the better your tires should be. I know I have to pay more for Z rated tires.

I never agree with the automatic headlights choices. I shouldn't say never, but often disagree. I can tell if there is a vehicle approaching around a blind bend or over the crest of a hill at night. The lights won't dim automatically until it sees his lights and by then he's caught my high beams full in the face. I try to dim them before that.

If you start out in the morning with a full charge and if you don't need heat or chill, and you drive slow and safe, then you're good 280 miles. That's a bunch of ifs to take into account without looking at a fuel gage.

But none of that matters because it's what you've wanted for a very long time and now you've got it... plus next year you'll grab the brass ring and live happily ever after.