The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #16
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wait.

What?

a life without money= a life not worth living?

Can UG be serious?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Naw, he can't be! He said I'm inconsequential. We know that isn't true!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

And he didn't say anything about Boris....
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Jesus did approve of feeding money to the State, did he not?
He did.

"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s."

Handed a coin of the realm, he examined it and found that it had Caesar's name on it, and basically declared that this was something of earthenly concerns while his concern was the Kingdom of God.

But if that ain't enough:

Luke:
Quote:
21:1 And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
21:2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
21:3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:
21:4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.
21:5 And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,
21:6 As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
The poor widow paying more than her share of taxes is praised; the temple filled with riches is not a substitute when earthenly concerns are left to rubble.

Quote:
And did not Jesus speak favorably of the freedom that is the human birthright?
[citation needed]
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Does UG want us to be rich? Rich people go to hell; it's the most plainly-stated aspect of Christ's teachings, that is completely ignored by, well, fucks like him.

Can it be more plainly stated than this?
Quote:
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
So important he said it twice.

The story of Lazarus.
Quote:
There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
Luke 6.
Quote:
Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God. ... But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
Luke 18.
Quote:
And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? ... Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. ...thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
James 2.
Quote:
Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
SamIam

I checked for a citation, but only found a bunch of very off the wall websites. UG needs to spend more time with his Bible and less time with his babble.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fuck me, Undertoad, that was awesome! You da Man.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I checked for a citation, but only found a bunch of very off the wall websites. UG needs to spend more time with his Bible and less time with his babble.
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Fuck me, Undertoad, that was awesome! You da Man.

'Twas indeed!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thanks you guys! I know my Christ's teachings. This atheist performed two full runs of Godspell last year!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

To be an American athiest, it's required to have more than just a passing knowledge of Christianity.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
To be an American athiest, it's required to have more than just a passing knowledge of Christianity.
The same is not, however, required of Christians.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #27
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Chained up in the basement and ballgagged?
As opposed to those simpering fools that you laughingly call conservatives who have kneeled down and signed pledges that place unrealistic limits on what can be done to get our fiscal house in order.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote