The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #16
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urruke View Post
While I'm all for reducing our emmissions into the atmosphere ...
So you don't want to buy a single sized carbon credit. Ok. Tell me, is the cost too high or are the C02 reductions just not enough?

My credit is for sale, that's no joke. This whole arrangement is designed to allow people to dump their guilt about SUV emissions and the like. I know, you know, we all know that this isn't going to have an effect and that the earth will always survive us anyway.

It's the guilt factor and the ability for someone to brag that they have indeed made changes to reduce their output, they bought some effing credits the other day.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I have to drive my truck to the supermarket and buy a couple of steaks to cook on my charcoal grill next to my outdoor fireplace... I'll get back to you on that.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Are you happy Merc? You killed my carbon thread.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Serves ya right, ya carbon spammer.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #20
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
Are you happy Merc? You killed my carbon thread.
Carbon Schmarbon... :p
Old 12-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #21
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Carbon Credits...
Over the last 20 months, I have taken taxis five times, been in shared private cars maybe six times, and taken trains and subways and the occasional bus everywhere else. I have even let my drivers license lapse.
I live in a very small apartment, very rarely eat any beef or other meat, and rug-up rather than use the heater.

SEND ME YOUR MONEY NOW!

All this will change radically as soon as I return to Australia (except the diet).
Public transport in Japan is excellent in the cities and viable for almost everywhere except really remote mountain villages and hiking trail-heads.
In Australia public transport is a half-hearted gesture used mostly by aged pensioners who have nothing else to do but wait for the bus.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #22
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
... I have even let my drivers license lapse....

....SEND ME YOUR MONEY NOW!...

....All this will change radically as soon as I return to Australia (except the diet).....
What is the process for renewing your license or reactivating it once you get back? Will you have to retake the driver's test? It seems to be a pain in the ass in the US for this situation anyway. There are options for holding it "almost renewed" for a few months until you return to the country, but it's still sort a pain in the ass.

Send you money?? You didnt tell us how much your carbon credit is selling for! Someone out there is ready to fire off money for your credit and are getting annoyed that you have not set a fixed price for it. Please, at least list the price of the credit if not the payment details so that some mean ol' nasty H1 Hummer driver can ease his guilt with your credit.

And lastly....your situation is most suitable for a carbon credit sale. You were driving a big SUV (with a big gun rack on the ceiling),... grilling beef steaks and baby seals on the charcoal grill next to your outdoor fireplace....while inside your 6000 sq ft house with the AC keeping the temp 68F....puffing a cigarette wildly.

That makes you a good candidate. You were a real carbon criminal, now you're a carbon saint.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #23
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Serves ya right, ya carbon spammer.
ya but...but...this is for the earth and it's atmosphere....and, and...all the little furry aminals and the baby seals.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #24
TheMercenary

I use to own an H2, does that count?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #25
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I use to own an H2, does that count?
(checks the manual)

Why.....why, yes I believe it does.

How much are you selling that reduction in carbon emissions for?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #26
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

On Driver's licenses:
People from Australia, Britain, N.Z. and Canada can drive in Japan on their home license plus IDP for one year. They can also get a Japanese license just by showing their home license and doing an eyesight test. I could have done this but I'm not planning to drive here; the roads are often very narrow, full of pedestrians, cyclists and shop's wares, and (worst) very few signs are in English.
Notice that these generous driving rules do not apply to US citizens - they have to do a practical test. It's true that in Japan they drive on the left, and so do most of the countries on the preferred list, but Canadians don't and they're allowed to drive here. I can only guess that the Japanese just don't trust you Americans. :P

I can reactivate my license as soon as I get back to Australia with no trouble. I've checked this out. Well, I've had my mum check it out for me. Thanks, mum.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #27
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of people have been killed in their own country while an American was driving on the American side of the road.

None taken.

You still havent set a price for your credit. It sounds like you've made quite a change in your emissions. Someone would surely like to buy it.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #28
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of people have been killed in their own country while an American was driving on the American side of the road.

None taken.

You still havent set a price for your credit. It sounds like you've made quite a change in your emissions. Someone would surely like to buy it.
Well ... I was actually pretty low emission by western standards before I came here. Also I'll be heading back soonish and don't want to have to buy my emission rights back.
But really, I was thinking of calling for bids. Anyone?

EDIT: Actually, this gets to the bit that bugs me about existing carbon trading schemes. They start with the baseline figure being what you were emitting in 1990 or some recent date, thus giving the advantage to those who were already the most polluting. If I ruled the world, I'd have the scientists figure out how much CO2 planet Earth can handle and divide that amount equally between the population, thus giving each individual person (or country?) carbon rights. Impoverished people/countries can sell carbon rights, and high consumers can buy them. Still working out the details. :P
Old 12-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #29
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
..... was driving on the American side of the road.
Probably drunk too now that I think about it.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
snip..If I ruled the world, I'd have the scientists figure out how much CO2 planet Earth can handle and divide that amount equally between the population... snip
Good luck with that, and gooder luck with getting two to agree on that number.