The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #376
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

do those count as COVID-19 deaths or merely Darwin Awardees?
Old 03-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #377
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They volunteered for those trials.

They're NATIONAL HEROES!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #378
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
do those count as COVID-19 deaths or merely Darwin Awardees?
Same category or different as the guy who dies of a heart attack because the hospitals are overwhelmed?
Old 03-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #379
sexobon

If the guy who dies of a heart attack, because the hospitals are overwhelmed, leaves his toilet paper to the healthcare workers... he's a NATIONAL HERO!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #380
sexobon

And now for something completely different...

Here’s why social distancing makes you constipated—and how to get your poop moving again

Read it, if you dare.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #381
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This is quite good. A doctor in NY city who is treating the COVID-19 patients exclusively due to the volume of cases. It's a long video, I watched it at 1.25x speed with the captions on. Five stars *****

TL;DR

1 -- Hand hygiene. Wash your hands, sanitize your hands when you can't wash your hands.

2 -- Stop touching your face.

3 -- Wear a mask or a bandanna to help you become aware of your hands moving to your face. It does not need to be a medical mask. The mask will not prevent the disease, it helps you stop carrying the disease from your hands to your face.

4 -- Maintain social distancing

After these points, he discusses in detail a number of questions from the other members of his video meeting. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #382
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

More evidence that the Chinese death toll has been far higher than admitted:

http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/ur...mpression=true
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #383
Griff
still says videotape

Urn numbers would seem to be a good indicator.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #384
glatt

Urns should be fairly reliable for tracking deaths.

I wonder if anyone died of other causes during that time period. I wonder how many urns the funeral homes normally go through.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #385
Griff
still says videotape

When hospitals are over-whelmed folks start dying of things the shouldn't...
Old 03-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #386
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Off topic again, but I always hate to see a picture of a crematorium with smoke rising in the background.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #387
Griff
still says videotape

Ricky Gervais did a bit...
Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #388
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
… 3 -- Wear a mask or a bandanna to help you become aware of your hands moving to your face. It does not need to be a medical mask. The mask will not prevent the disease, it helps you stop carrying the disease from your hands to your face.
This needs clarification:

Bandanas and non-medical masks won't prevent the disease. Medical masks like the N95 most certainly can prevent airborne transmission to the respiratory route of infection. That's why healthcare workers wear them. Droplets from a close proximity cough or sneeze are quite hazardous; but, healthcare workers can't always avoid them even though droplets settle out of the air within a few seconds. The probability of non-healthcare workers being coughed or sneezed on by infectious contacts is lower; but, that doesn't change the efficacy of wearing medical masks if it happens.

In addition to droplets, aerosolized viruses that can hang in the air for extended periods can be stopped by wearing medical masks. The risk there; however, is thought to be low in any setting.

Even with medical masks, disease prevention is only as effective as one's proficiency with all of the recommended infection control techniques combined. It is for this reason that most non-healthcare people will not benefit significantly from having medical masks.

I used to teach aseptic technique and grade students on their application of it. It's amazing how many ways there are to break asepsis and cross contaminate things in the work area without ever realizing that you've done it. I've had students swear on a stack of bibles that breaches I told them I had observed while grading them never happened. They actually believed it; but, I video-recorded their procedures and ol' one eye don't lie.

The key is to not get discouraged and continue improving. The goal is to bring everyone up to a level of infection control proficiency that makes it worthwhile for them all to use medical masks. It looks like the pandemic is going to give everyone ample time to do that and perhaps there will be an ample supply by the time everyone is capable of making good use of it.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #389
Griff
still says videotape

Old 03-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #390
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In this day and age, it is vitally important NOT to listen to government representatives and agencies, world organizations, and national media. The people you must listen to are Internet geeks.

No joke

Here is a great Slate Star Codex blog post that really gives the lowdown on masks. He summarizes the actual science, and will tell you what the media is not smart enough to tell you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote