The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #151
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Plus, walk out of there with a mask on, and become suspect #1.

A live suspect #1, and hopefully only for a short time, but still.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #152
glatt

Yeah, but posting here about it for several years will hopefully exonerate me.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #153
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I understand. And the odds of trouble are still low anyway.

With this DC incident, It made me wonder how I would deal in the heat of the moment. People were really hurting. Would I put on my mask and just sit there watching others die because they couldn't breathe?
Of course not. Think man think, wallets, purses, and don't overlook money clips. bra stuffings and lunch money.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #154
glatt

I've spent the last couple hours trying to find statistics on Metro safety and transportation safety overall. It's not all nice and neatly organized, and I've had to do some ballpark estimating based on the numbers I can find.

The reason I have been thinking about this is that there has been a lot of talk lately about Metro's lack of safety and the need to shut it down to make repairs. The new General Manager is committed to fixing things, but at the same time, the Federal Transit Administration has seized control of safety issues and is throwing its weight around threatening to shut things down if the GM doesn't do things the way they want them done.

Everyone is talking about safety. Meanwhile Metro service has taken a nose dive. The FTA has demanded that trains be slowed way down so they draw less current and there will be less arcing. (Smoke by arcing has caused a death in an asthma sufferer as mentioned in the posts above.)

So anyway, Metro sucks now, and it's about to get a lot worse as they start shutting down tracks to work on them. All in the name of safety.

So let's look at safety.
Name:  Metro safety 2009 FTA report 2003 thru 2008 edited by glatt.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  86.4 KB

This chart came from a 2009 FTA report on the years 2003-2008. I annotated it to include the two bars on the far right. Those are my back of the envelope calculations based on easily found data on deaths in Metrorail, and the more difficult to find data on the number and length of trips. But I think my calculations are very close to being accurate.

What it shows is that even in the worst year for Metro, when the accident that kicked this thread off happened, riding metro was twice as safe as commuting by car. (On average) And if you widen the sample size to include the years Metro has been having a bad time, the accident and the asthma death, Metro is about 15 times safer than driving.

So when the FTA talks about shutting down all of Metro for safety, they are full of it. It will make passengers more likely to die on the road. They should leave the GM alone and let him schedule the maintenance in a way that is logical from a logistics and efficiency viewpoint. Metro is safer than they would have you believe.

Last edited by glatt; 05-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #155
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I never gathered the statistics, but that's been my feeling, too.

If they can use the current situation to actually do maintenance that had been deferred due to the budget, there may be a silver lining, but overall the Metro coverage has made me think of Shark Week.

Look how scary sharks/train accidents are! You should be scared of swimming/Metro!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #156
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But what happens as ridership increases? The system has been run by a bunch of appointed politicians who know jackshit about anything but the bottom line. One of the reasons it worked so well for you is they skipped maintenance that would interfere with your trip. But now that misguided policy has accumulated problems, and the perceived savings will come back with a vengeance.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #157
glatt

Yeah. It's been mismanaged. And hasn't been maintained.

Keeping it open so late was probably the final nail in the coffin. When they made that change a few years ago, they basically eliminated all maintenance then, and it rapidly declined.

On a more personal note, Friday is bike to work day. I'm going to try riding my bike in to the office for the first time. I have my route all planned out. I'm on bike paths for the first 5 miles and then once I'm in DC, I have about a dozen blocks to ride on city streets. Half of those streets have little bike lanes on them that are routinely blocked by double parked delivery trucks every block. It will be a test of my possible new commute during the upcoming track shutdown and 80% reduction in capacity on my line. Should take me an extra 15 minutes door to door, but I'll arrived tired and sweaty. I'll need to take a shower here. So I need to allow 30-45 extra minutes. Going home is uphill and will take an extra 30 minutes over my current commute, but no rush to get home and allowing time for a shower there is no big deal.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #158
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're gonna have to learn to fly.