The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #61
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Training update: Since the 8K is on a Wed, it kind of throws off my schedule. I usually do long runs on the weekends, we'll see how this goes. I have my plan laid out, and ran 3.3 Sat, followed by a 7m bike with the crumb machine* in tow Sun. Today off.

Bought new shoes, and heard nary a peep out of my knee Sat or Sun, so that's good.

*Chex mix and bumpy trail don't mix...the trailer now needs a vacuuming...
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #62
LabRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
2771ft total climb, and 6024ft of elevation change. ouchy
OK, so Iowa is flat. Yipes. I'll have to see what the hilliest route I can make would be...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #63
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, Iowa's too flat... you should make a trip up to Wisconsin.
Quote:
In a charity run that places a firm emphasis on the word 'fun', several hundred people have taken part
in a race where water stops were dumped - and instead replaced with tables laden with thirst-quenching beer.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #64
LabRat

So, training for the 8K is fine, did 4.5 miles last week, then 4 miles of (Iowa) hills yesterday, and feel great. Now I'm "tapering" and eating for a good hard run on the 4th. Goal is to finish in under 45 min. Since this is a huge race, we'll see. Probably take me 2-3 min to get to the start line after the gun goes off

On another note, I went to the inaugural meeting of the Cedar Rapids Xtreme Triathlon Club on Wed night. I did a sprint Tri in 2000 (The Pigman) and will eventually get back into it once my family life allows for more free time. Training for a tri takes 3X as much time, since there are obviously 3 things to get in shape for.

Anyway, while there, I learned about a new cross country race just starting this year here in Cedar Rapids. The Devils Dash. Please check out the great website.

Anyone interested in participating???? I'll likely just be doing the 5K, run or walk will dependon if I ever get knocked up. I walked a favorite race the year it fell when I was 4 months pregnant.

I'd love to host some Cellarites!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #65
Flint
Snowflake

I think that logo had a few misprints. Here, I fixed it:
Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 06-29-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #66
LabRat

Not bad!!

Jeez, don't let Ducks see that. *wink*
Old 06-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
So, training for the 8K is fine, did 4.5 miles last week, then 4 miles of (Iowa) hills yesterday, and feel great.
We've been razzing you about Iowa being flat, but I'm sure on foot, especially running for time, some of those rolling hills look like the Rocky mountains. I'd get tired just following in a car.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #68
LabRat

Finished in 45:35, officially. Technically, was slightly under 45:00. Yeah! Very happy with my time, considering the conditions. Weather was 82 F and very high dewpoint/humidity at the start.

My daughter did her first ever kid's fun run. 200 yards, started and finished in the official race's gates, so that was fun for them. Parents ran with the little ones. She started by holding my hand, and within seconds, took off and left me in her dust. She tore through the crowd like she really wanted to win. I was really proud to watch her, especially since she has really good form . In fact, at the end she told me to "eat her dust"... I must make a note to work on her sportsmanship.

Unfortunatly, the pics are on my MIL's camera, but as soon as I get them emailed to me, I'll post them.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #69
rkzenrage

Perhaps I can go now?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #70
LabRat

That was sweet. Methinks you might want a helmet though, as those wheelee bars seem a little short if the race has an uphill start.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #71
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Every time I read this title I think it says "Foot Powder".
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #72
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

update

So, I"m signed up for next years' Indy500 minimarathon and i'm starting to do something, anything, for god's sake, just get off my ass and move a little,,,
Sorry, don't know what comes over me.
Yesterday I did 1.5 miles in 12'30" a better rate than i've had in ten years. I am now hopeful that with continued training I might finish next year in less than 2.5 hours. I'll pop back in from time to time to post updates if anyone's interested.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #73
LabRat

A half is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed doing one a couple falls ago. See post's #26/7. I didn't need to eat during it, like you typically do for a marathon, and the training schedule is a lot more doable if you have any life outside of work.

I scanned and posted the training schedules that I used, I think in the trail running thread. EDIT: it was in the "anyone here run a marathon" thread, which i bumped for your convenience.

I'm here and always ready to yap about running

Last edited by LabRat; 07-16-2007 at 11:56 AM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #74
jinx
Come on, cat.

I hate running (sorry) but have been doing 12-15 miles a week on the stairmaster and enjoying the hell out of it (75 steps p/m). I also enjoy that it pissed LJ off that he's moving faster on the eliptical but not covering as much distance... he's sure that its wrong but can't figure out why...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you don't enjoy the stair bastard. the lying stairbastard.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote