The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I Just Can't Stand It

I can't take it anymore. I just can't. Seems the entire world has turned stupid. I know it hasn't, but, God damn if it doesn't seem that way. One example: Yesterday, I spoke with a sixty year old man who thought a chicken's gizzard was it's asshole, "you know, the part the egg comes out of". People, I shit you not. The man had managed to live his entire life without knowing what a chicken gizzard was, thinking eggs fell out of a chicken's asshole, but, was stupid enough to believe he was educating the room as to the actual identity of a gizzard.

That's not what's pushed me over the edge, of course. It's been an accumulative thing. It really does seem like the world around me is getting dumber by the fucking minute. Twice already this week, I've been driven to isolation by just sheer dumbfuckery.

Every day older I get, the less I seem to be able to tolerate willful stupidity. When I get to The House tonight to watch "NCIS", the guy who bought the TV will undoubtedly ask what fucking channel it comes on. We've been watching it since the pilot episode. What's that, six-eight years? He will have no clue and start surfing trying to find it if I don't tell him.

I'm taking a vacation. Not from home. Not from stupid people. Not from anything other than my own senses.

I'm dumbing down. Ima start drinking right around 7/7:30. I got six hundred bucks in my pocket, and I'm staying drunk til I'm broke. Fuck it, why not?

Why shouldn't I? Ain't gonna hurt nobody but me. Gonna make my life real easy for the next few days, though. No responsibilities, I'm drunk. I can say/do anything I feel like, and people have to look over me, cause Ima be drunk. That's how it works for the rest of the world the rest of the time, Ima give it a shot, fuck it, y'all look over me for a change. God damn right. Feel better already.

And if that guy that uses 'motherfucker' like a pronoun calls ("Motherfucker you are crazy as hell.") me a motherfucker, I'm going to the liquor store for the express purpose of buying a big goddamned bottle to crack over his fucking head. I know he don't mean it in a mean/derogatory fashion, but, as I've told him a hundred times, I don't like being called a motherfucker. I'll have to hit him with something, he's too big for me to whoop his ass the ol fashioned way. And if he whoops my ass, well, I won't feel it (not right away anyway), cause Ima be drunk. Yay.

I have tiger DNA and Adonis blood. Or something.

I'm a winner.

Team Me. Fuck yeah.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

After being exposed to Hep, TB, and STDs today (that's a healthcare mandatory training joke), instead of heading right home to contemplate some really awful photographs that are part of the training in solitude, I decided to head to the Target to hook up on some Easter Stuff, since I accidentally found out that Easter is this weekend by listening to the radio this morning. Hey, when you're not a Christian, you miss that whole Palm Sunday thing, you know?

So, anyway ... I was in the Target and was reflecting on that very issue of burgeoning stupidity. Not a cause, to be sure, but a consequence ... The DVD section was THREE TIMES the size of the book section. More than THREE TIMES if you don't count the aisle of coloring and activity books as books. Four times, if you ONLY calculate based on the adult book section.

yeah, I'm using a lot of capital letters. But this is upsetting to me.

And I don't think the difference is entirely driven by the popularity of ereaders.

It's the rise of stupid.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

I would congratulate Gravdigr on his wise decision, but by time he comes to and finds his way back to the Cellar, it will most likely be a moot point. However, I'm joining Gravdigr's team, anyhow - just for the gizzard ass.

My comments on the state of the printed word are unprintable. And my Kindle died. Yes. However, a friend informs me that Dr. Zhivago is still available on the books by the pound shelf at the local public library. He figures it won't last for long, though.

Other than that, Cortez has no bookstore, especially now that the only Kindle in town is on the fritz.

But MY evening has been made special by a conversation I had with my ex-husband earlier today. Prior to this most recent exchange, I hadn't spoken with the man in ten years. I now remember why. I also now remember why I divorced him. All, I'll say is that he is one extremely lucky, stupid bastard that he is a 400 mile, seven hour drive across the mountains away. He is even luckier that I don't have a few stray white crosses or a snort of coke - even a minor hit of speed - would do for me to hop in the truck RFN, 1:40am MDT, and keep going until I pulled up around 8:30am this unlovely morning in front of his fav over-priced coffee shop where I would have a nice little woman to piece-of-shit chat with him in front of the local coon hound crowd that passes for what he calls "friends" these days.

Yesssss...

I would like to strike a blow for the decline of Mr. Stupid.

Last edited by IamSam; 03-27-2013 at 03:05 AM.
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When I worked in a shop in Leicester, one of my co-workers understood the word "gullet" to be a verb. As in, "I'm going to gullet a fish."

Chris and I vigorously disagreed, at which point she got all huffy and drew on her Newcastle heritage. Which was inexcusable, as we couldn't prove that the word wasn't in everyday use in Newcastle in the middle of a busy Saturday in Leicester.

And no, I never did bother to look it up on the internet. People lie on there you know. All I know is Chris and I laughed so hard that day I'm surprised we didn't damage any major organs. Poor Teri. She was a real Mrs Malaprop sometimes, so how could we ever take her lessons in Geordie-fish-fillet-speak seriously?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

I remember GD being shitty with me because of my dumbism
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
It's been an accumulative thing.
Been a cumulative thing.[/irony]
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
glatt

NOVA tonight will have a show on that Russian meteor. It will be smarter than anything on any of the other channels and should be fun to watch too. Fireballs in the sky, shattering glass from a shock wave. A bit of science discussion about what's possibly out there that might come next.

But mostly the fireball and explosions.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Idgie: He won't even sit in the same room and have a meal today.
Sipsey: Oh, it don't make no kind of sense. A big old ox like Grady won't sit next to a coloured child, but he eats eggs... shoots right out of a chicken's ass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And one more thing: how dumb is it to BUY gizzards for eatin'? I mean, it's a fucking digestive organ. It's got, like, sand or something in it.

Moses: An' when they was no meat we ate fowl. An'when they was no fowl we ate crawdad. An' when they was no crawdad to be foun', we ate San'.
HI: You ate what?
Moses: (nodding): We ate San'.
HI: You ate sand?!
Moses: Dass right . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be here all week. Try the Kentucky Whiskey Infused Liver.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Nirvana
Back in 10

How dumb is it to be self destructive?
How dumb is it to waste $600 some bucks on self destruction?

Irony thy name is Gravdigr.

Seriously maybe that guy is one of those sheep hybrids I told you about
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
After being exposed to Hep, TB, and STDs today (that's a healthcare mandatory training joke), instead of heading right home to contemplate some really awful photographs that are part of the training in solitude, I decided to head to the Target to hook up on some Easter Stuff, since I accidentally found out that Easter is this weekend by listening to the radio this morning. Hey, when you're not a Christian, you miss that whole Palm Sunday thing, you know?

So, anyway ... I was in the Target and was reflecting on that very issue of burgeoning stupidity. Not a cause, to be sure, but a consequence ... The DVD section was THREE TIMES the size of the book section. More than THREE TIMES if you don't count the aisle of coloring and activity books as books. Four times, if you ONLY calculate based on the adult book section.

yeah, I'm using a lot of capital letters. But this is upsetting to me.

And I don't think the difference is entirely driven by the popularity of ereaders.

It's the rise of stupid.
At Wally World about all you can buy are God Books, Amish Romance, and whatever wampire/werewolf/stoopid fantasy creature series is popular right now. There you go, the dumbing down, the rise of stupid. Sheep.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
infinite monkey

And gravdigr, you go on witchoo bad self. You do what you want, holmes. Let loose.

In the meantime, I will be looking up what the procedure costs for removing sticks from peoples' asses. If'n you mention fun/food/drink, you will surely be told how bad it all is for you.

So. Meh. One Life. Imma enjoy it. And one day Imma party with ya, grav!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
infinite monkey

Oh, and your 'you motherfucker' friend? I actually had a friend tell me last night to STOP TALKING about an innocuous subject because she didn't understand it anyway so stop talking about it. With 3 other folks in the room.

She has no idea how I've evolved. We just laughed at her rudeness. A year ago I'd've held up my hand and say "oh no you DI'INT" and would have walked out of her house.

People are mostly the suck. With a few exceptions. You know who you are.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
At Wally World about all you can buy are God Books, Amish Romance, and whatever wampire/werewolf/stoopid fantasy creature series is popular right now. There you go, the dumbing down, the rise of stupid. Sheep.
amazon reaches everywhere. And, FWIW, the wallyworld website has a much broader range of interesting reading than you would expect.

Perhaps a means of combatting stupid is to take books you are done with and leave them in places where people wait. Doctor's offices, bus stops, auto mechanic shops, whatever. Maybe they'll get thrown out when someone is cleaning up, but maybe they'll get picked up and read and change someone in a positive, even if small, way.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
infinite monkey

Oh yes, I get a lot of movies and books from Amazon.

Probably the local wally world caters to our locals. But I have found books there...it's not like a Barnes and Nobles or anything though.

I find Amish Romance to be a really hilarious genre. I'm waiting for the Robot Romance craze. What are the chances of two crazy young robots finding love?

I like the idea of leaving books, except I keep all my books. I would like to leave them around for car sitters and bench sitters. Car sitters who wait for whoever they got in the store, sitting staring straight ahead, looking at nothing. Bench sitters who wait for their turn to see an FA person, who sit and stare straight ahead, looking at everybody who walks by. I think "hey, maybe if you used that time to crack open a book you wouldn't be sitting there waiting to talk about what happens when you drop or fail your class."
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Can't buy from Amazon any more.
Motherfucking tax dodgers.

Feel all your pain re the local shops though.
I only know of one local (indepedent) bookshop.

Do amazing cards and wrapping too.
Shit. Bought in a couple for Bri.

Sorry. I hate to reference her every other thread but she really was a person in my life, not just a Dwellar.
Though a Dwellar is pretty good anyway.