Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Labour and Jews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
In the UK, Labour is using anti-semitism. That appears to be working for them.
From The Economist of 2 Mar 2019:
Quote:
Last week David Hirsh resigned from the Labour Party. He was, he wrote, fed up with being humiliated by anti-Semitism. "I have fought it for years, in the student movement, in the academic unions and in the Labour Party. I won’t subject myself to it any longer." But the 51-year-old sociology lecturer ... is not only worried by what is happening in the Labour Party: he sees a conspiratorial outlook spreading across the political spectrum.

He is not alone. A recent survey by the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights found that three-quarters of British Jews believe anti-Semitism is a problem, up from half in 2012. There has been a rise in the number of recorded anti-Semitic incidents, which range from graffiti to physical violence. The Community Security Trust (CST) ... counted 1,652 such incidents in 2018, the highest annual total since it began in 1984. ...

... under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, Labour Party has faced repeated accusations of tolerating anti-Semitism in its ranks. On February 27th the party suspended Chris Williamson, an MP, after a video emerged of him telling applauding activists that Labour had been "too apologetic" about anti-Semitism. The previous week Luciana Berger, a Jewish Labour MP, quit the party after a campaign of anti-Semitic harassment. Louise Ellman, from a nearby Liverpool constituency, has faced similar abuse. ...

Steve Lawler ... is hopeful that Mr Corbyn will be able to create a fairer society— "if Mossad doesn’t assassinate him before then." ...

Social media not only offer a means to spread bile, they also help to bring people with different hatreds together. One analysis of discussion on a far-right website found that 60% of posts on feminism also mentioned Jews.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote