The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Yes.
Explain how interfering impulses which create more backpressure and slow the exhaust, will make it louder. And don't tell me it's because Bush lied.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 PM   #47
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Most resonators actually have a little metal piece that buzzes creating the more "throaghty" sound (i butchered that word i know). I do remember hearing in the summit racing catalog about somthin to do w/ increased back pressure ot improve exhaust flow or somthin along those lines. Dunno what it would do for the noise however. (I'm not very enlightened in the field of automotive technology but im gettin there)
Old 09-10-2004, 08:16 AM   #48
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Explain how interfering impulses which create more backpressure and slow the exhaust, will make it louder. And don't tell me it's because Bush lied.
Periods of minimal exhaust flow followed by a sudden blast out as the exhaust gases of two cylinders exit at the same time. Listen to a vehicle with "tuned headers" - a 1950s technology among car enthusiasts. Tuning results in a sort of smooth buzz. Smooth, even, and quieter. Then listen to an engine without same. It sounds like one loud cylinder among the many farts loudly. Increased noise.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:59 PM   #49
Roosta
Nutter.

I'd never even heard of the spinner things before now. What an utterly bizarre thing to want on a car! To see some really badly modified cars, try www.stupidnorthernmonkey.co.uk
Roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:35 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Periods of minimal exhaust flow followed by a sudden blast out as the exhaust gases of two cylinders exit at the same time. Listen to a vehicle with "tuned headers" - a 1950s technology among car enthusiasts. Tuning results in a sort of smooth buzz. Smooth, even, and quieter. Then listen to an engine without same. It sounds like one loud cylinder among the many farts loudly. Increased noise.
Yes, tuned headers are designed to keep the exhaust pulses from the indvidual cylinders in an orderly progressive flow. Open headers will produce maximum sound levels and maximum hp. The headers themselves will produce the minimum backpressure the engine needs to run at peak power.

But headers by themselves are not legal because of the noise levels and exhaust must be routed away from the occupants for safety. It's the baffling after the headers, in the exhaust system that control the sound level. If interfering pulses occur they increase the backpressure and reduce flow and power but won't effect or affect the sound level as that's a function of the baffling. The baffling may be designed to give a steady flow or a pulsating flow but it's impossible to design the optimum flow for all operating conditions. It's always a compromise.

Even at a sedate idle of 600 rpm, on a V-8 engine that's 2400 pulses per minute (40 per second) and at a honking 6500 rpm it's 26,000 per minute (433 per second). You're not going to hear an individual cylinder pulse or even paired cylinder pulses. What you hear is the pulses of the exhaust system baffling. If it's uneven it's because the design of the baffling is not suited to the flow of that engine at that rpm.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Before you criticize someone for adding anything to personalize their car, tell me why you have curtains when an old sheet hung over the window does the job? Better yet, why have curtains AND blinds or shades?
Old 09-11-2004, 05:01 PM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, why wear a colorful shirt when any simple white T-shirt will cover you with utility.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #53
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Not if you're a chick and it's raining, it won't.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #54
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Good points. Er, I mean point, sorry.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:56 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe so, but it'll cover you with attention,....and warmth.