The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-27-2004, 09:12 PM   #16
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
Old, drunk, homeless men ... use to try to go through my pockets at night and I'd have to beat them off
Whose hands were in whose pockets?

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #17
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Originally posted by quzah
Quote:
I'd be sleeping outside and homeless people would come up and reach into your pocket(s) to grab whatever they could - wallet, money, whatever. I would wake up and kick them off - some didn't take the hint and needed additional encouragement.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a place indoors but there were a few of us broke college students out there (which is why I stayed there) and we all had to deal with them.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #18
staceyv
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
You know I'm almost certainly going to regret this, but how you doing lately Stacey?

thanks for asking...arsen and i are getting along well. i went to the gynocologist and found out i had a ruptured cyst in my uterus and that there's nothing he can do for me but prescribe pain relievers, so i will continue to work 3 weeks out of the month. my boss seems to be okay with it, as long as i ask in advance...and the week off work helps my arttitude a lot!
i am learning to speak russian. it's a challenge, but i like it.
i went to open mic this thursday and played the drums and people were dancing and everyone was saying how great i was for someone who only played for a year and doesn't own a drumset! i also sang karaoke that night at another bar and i got lots of compliments. it was the most fun i've had in a long time.
i am still living on potatoes and fish- but i found that i can eat frank's red hot sauce! yay. okay, i've covered my marriage, health, social life...oh, and financially-arsen is holding down this job and seems to be doing well. he sold a lot of cars this month.
i feel happy. there's no drama in my life right now, so i'm better able to handle all the other crap like my health...i also learned how to use a straightening iron on my hair and make it look longer, so i'm happy about that.
i guess i haven't been posting so much lately because i don't have anything major on my mind and that is always good! thanks for asking...are you sorry?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:22 AM   #19
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
I'd be sleeping outside and homeless people would come up and reach into your pocket(s) to grab whatever they could - ...
joke
--------
head

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:09 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Quzah.
Heh, I decided to leave that one alone, gotta make your way somehow.

We didn't have money when I was a little kid but we never went hungry either. We had land to raise beef and grow veggies. My clothes weren't the coolest but they were clean and mended. I knew kids a lot worse off and my folks were always moving forward income wise.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #21
blue
Operations Operative

Are you sorry?

No, I was interested. I could have done without the uterus info. Glad to hear things are looking up a little.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #22
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

When I was really young, six, seven or so, my dad was fairly worthless, yet he insisted that my mom not work. He bought a house that was waaayyy beyond our means, so we rarely had sufficient food in the house. The electricity would get turned off on occasion. He was also a stinking drunk, and that made things interesting.

I didn't realize that we were hard up until I got a lot older, and compared some of the things that my mom was doing to things that I did when times were tight.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

I didn't realize that we were hard up until I got a lot older, and compared some of the things that my mom was doing to things that I did when times were tight.
Excellent point, Els. Basic training for hard times and appreciation for good times.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #24
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My dad worked 2 jobs for a long time, and my mom worked, and I didn't realize how fortunate I was to grow up in a 70's middle class household.

Then they divorced, and I was still pretty clueless about how things worked.

Then I got pregnant and married and homeless and I was brought into the wide world of "holy shit this sucks".

8 months pregnant, living in the park in southern california (there are worse places, I know), eating *cold* ramen and coconuts and drinking water out of the water fountain at the library where I would spend many days reading quietly.

My sister was in training to be a correctional officer near my mom's house, so between 12 and 1pm three times a week I would go over there and take a shower while she ate lunch. I'd bring a pack of ramen and have *hot* ramen for lunch. That was a treat! My mom never knew.

A guy my husband met let us stay there a couple weeks until he found out I was 17 then he kicked us out. The state wouldn't give me aid because my mom wouldn't let me give her address, because if I did, they wanted her social security number, and she didn't want to give it. So I couldn't get on medicaid or foodstamps or afdc or anything.

To this day, I can't eat Ramen without gagging.

The best part was giving birth on my aunt-in-law's couch tho. Go me! After that I could get a job and we moved into a 33 foot travel trailer, so things improved, but that was the "dirt Poor" period of my life. The first and last one.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:28 AM   #25
staceyv
Lecturer

i cannot believe that your mother or aunt in law or sister wouldn't let you live with them when you were pregnant!! WTF???
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #26
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My mother and I don't talk about that time, and it's mostly because if we did we'd fight and that would be the end of our relationship. At the time she told me that her landlord would not allow us to stay there unless we were married, so we got married, then two weeks later she kicked us out anyway, saying her landlord didn't want us staying there.

I didn't have the presence of mind to ask why her landlord had anything to do with who lived there in her 2 bedroom house, when it was only her living there.

My sister was already on state aid in a hud house with her three kids, and her roommate had 2 kids, and my husband didn't like kids. So we couldn't stay there.

And the Aunt in law is the one that kicked us out in the first place the previous june.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
my husband didn't like kids. So we couldn't stay there.
You were pregnant at the time, and didn't see the doom implicit in this statement?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #28
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

No, I was fully aware of his dislike for children when he asked me if 5 and 1/2 months was too late for an abortion. I said, "yes" and he said, "Well, you better do something or I'll kill it."

**and I really dont mean to hijack the thread, please continue this in the Philosophy forum, "Seriousness" thread.....**
Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #29
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by staceyv
thanks for asking...arsen and i are getting along well. i went to the gynocologist and found out i had a ruptured cyst in my uterus and that there's nothing he can do for me but prescribe pain relievers, so i will continue to work 3 weeks out of the month. my boss seems to be okay with it, as long as i ask in advance...and the week off work helps my arttitude a lot!
i am learning to speak russian. it's a challenge, but i like it.
i went to open mic this thursday and played the drums and people were dancing and everyone was saying how great i was for someone who only played for a year and doesn't own a drumset! i also sang karaoke that night at another bar and i got lots of compliments. it was the most fun i've had in a long time.
i am still living on potatoes and fish- but i found that i can eat frank's red hot sauce! yay. okay, i've covered my marriage, health, social life...oh, and financially-arsen is holding down this job and seems to be doing well. he sold a lot of cars this month.
i feel happy. there's no drama in my life right now, so i'm better able to handle all the other crap like my health...i also learned how to use a straightening iron on my hair and make it look longer, so i'm happy about that.
i guess i haven't been posting so much lately because i don't have anything major on my mind and that is always good! thanks for asking...are you sorry?
Good to hear that things are going ok. I am seeing a professional myself to help me deal better with my chronic illness. He taught me a really cool relaxation exercise to do to un-stress myself (because stress tends to exacerbate bad health). If you (or anyone else) is interested, I could share this technique with you. It's really good...the first time I tried it, I was pain free for several hours (the good doc said that it helps to release certain hormones in the brain to relieve pain). Just a suggestion to help the next time you are going through stressful times.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:17 PM   #30
jinx
Come on, cat.

I'm interested.