The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #6721
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I don't think that I have ever seen or heard 'fourths' used instead of quarters, on this side of the Atlantic, although it has the merit of consistency.

Just my 25c worth.
What do you call the last half of the last half? Which quarter is that?
Old 06-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #6722
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What do you call the last half of the last half? Which quarter is that?
That's the fourth quarter, not the fourth fourth.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #6723
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
chips/crisps
a COVID quality soapy hand wash
chopping onions
sunblock
citronella oil for torches
That looks like a really fucked up recipe.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #6724
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
a COVID quality soapy hand wash
Oh, man. We finally got good toilet paper back, but we're still going through the COVID-quality paper towels. They are awful.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #6725
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I saw what you did there.

You can put a link in the other thread to this one. I've gotten a few twofers that way.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #6726
Clodfobble

It's okay. The tagline had a damn typo in it anyway.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:38 AM   #6727
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
That looks like a really fucked up recipe.
I added raw chicken juice to the list. mmm-mmmmmhhhh
Old 06-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #6728
Clodfobble

*Sigh*... There are bigger problems in the world right now, I know. But when everything is crazy and you're already on the brink all the time, sometimes the unexpected little things hit way harder than they should.

My stupid gym is going through Chapter 11, and is closing my location for good. Memberships are a minimum of one year, and they are issuing no refunds during the closure, so they still have all our money--which means they were in such a precarious financial position that three months of no new memberships was enough to put them under. Irresponsible fuckers. Of course, since a couple of their locations will theoretically re-open, they think I can just drive 20 miles south and won't be issuing any refunds for permanent closures, either.

And it's not about the money, anyway. I paid up front to get the discount, so the money's already long gone, budget-wise, and won't be a continuing drain month-to-month. It's the physical location that was key: right across the highway from my kids' school, no excuse for skipping a workout immediately after dropping them off in the mornings. The summers were a wash, but 9 months out of the year I was going 3-4 times a week and doing really well with my overall joint strength, which needs constant maintenance just to function normally. Three months into COVID, I can already feel my knees starting to fuck up again, even though I'm taking morning walks around the neighborhood, because stiff legs on hard pavement don't work out the right stabilization muscles. I can do the "right" physical-therapy approved exercises at home with stretchy bands and the like, but I don't want to. That was the whole point of the gym, to shoehorn it into my routine so I couldn't look across the room at the stretchy bands from my nice comfy chair and say "fuck it." I had a good thing going, and now I have to come up with a new plan, and it sucks.

My one glimmer of hope is that the building itself is super-specialized, including a long skinny lap pool, and maybe a new gym will take the space. I'd gladly pay double membership if it means I can get my location back if/when the schools re-open--which realistically isn't going to happen by August anyway. Texas is about to hit its real surge, and all the things that say they're re-opening in July are going to stay closed when reality comes knocking. The permanent nature of my gym's closure won't even really be a thing that matters for the rest of 2020, at least, so I was going to have to come up with a new plan regardless. I'm just tired, and mildly irritated. That's all.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #6729
monster
I hear them call the tide

That's a real suck
Old 06-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #6730
Griff
still says videotape

Rush Limbaugh is still on the radio.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #6731
Clodfobble

Minifobette's laptop up and died, halfway through the second day of (distance learning) school.

So I rushed to set her up on my old laptop, and 30 minutes into her next class, the speakers stopped working--prompting me to remember why exactly it was that I got a new laptop for myself way back when. >

So now she's on my current laptop, which means I can't do the work I'm supposed to be doing, either now or indefinitely into the future, until we get hers fixed/replaced.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #6732
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That's very frustrating. I wish I could help.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #6733
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Does your old laptop have Bluetooth? If so, you may be able to play it through Bluetooth headphones, speakers (Amazon Echo devices do Bluetooth connections too); or, even your smartphone speaker by linking the phone to the old laptop. It's easy to forget about built-in Bluetooth capability if you're always using Wi-Fi.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #6734
Clodfobble

I'll have to give that a shot--I'm not actually certain whether it's the speakers themselves or the sound card that's dodgy, but she does have Bluetooth headphones that she uses regularly.

Further troubleshooting on her own laptop has revealed that the problem is her DC power jack. It's apparently become damaged inside from aggressively plugging and unplugging it all the time--we can get it to charge and power up, but only if the cord stays in one exact, precarious position. The new part is supposed to get here Thursday, and meanwhile we've got it fully charged and turned off so she can get as far as possible through the day tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 AM   #6735
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I don't think this qualifies as my bum being scorched or my groove being stoned, or whatever the phrases are, so I'll have to content myself with being mildly irritated.

I've lost count of the number of times I have recently received a phone call supposedly from Amazon's security department.

It's the usual spiel with the caller announcing his or her name followed by a kind enquiry as to my state of health and general well being.

In a moment of annoyance the phrase 'bunch of crooks' passed my lips.

There may also have been a rather immoderate qualifying adjective before those few words.

Gentle reader, I will spare you the gruesome details.

Tags
mild cheddar