The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Bobby, put that blouse down.

According to CNN, a Texas mom is afeared of evil elementary school crossdressing and takes action.

Quote:
TWIRP, which stands for "The Woman Is Requested to Pay," was hosted by Spurger schools for years during Homecoming Week -- to give boys and girls a chance to reverse social roles and let older girls invite boys on dates, open doors and pay for sodas.

Plano-based Liberty Legal Institute issued a news release Tuesday reporting that it "came to the aid of a concerned parent" over an "official cross-dressing day" in the school district 150 miles northeast of Houston.

"It is outrageous that a school in a small town in east Texas would encourage their 4-year-olds to be cross-dressers," Liberty Legal Institute attorney Hiram Sasser said in the release

Tanner T. Hunt Jr., the school district's attorney, called Sasser's statement "inflammatory and misleading." He said the district never planned or conducted a "cross-dressing day."

"They are a tiny little East Texas school district," Hunt said. "It never occurred to them that anyone could find anything morally reprehensible about TWIRP Day. I mean, they've been having it for years, probably for generations, and it's the first time anybody has complained."

Delana Davies, 33, said she complained after reading a school notice about "TWIRP Day." Davies, whose 9-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter attend Spurger Elementary, said she viewed the day not as a silly Homecoming Week activity, but rather something related to homosexuality.

"It's like experimenting with drugs," Davies said. "You just keep playing with it and it becomes customary. ... If it's OK to dress like a girl today, then why is it not OK in the future?"
What hijinx instead? Cant the kids have any fun?

Quote:
As a substitute for "TWIRP Day," the schools ranging from elementary to senior high decided to hold "Camo Day" -- with black boots and Army camouflage to be worn by everyone who wants to participate.
Hmmm. perhaps it is like experimenting with drugs. Do the kids sign a pre-enlistment contract?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

People are constantly telling me that I am too judgemental, too critical, but damn people...

Maybe she'd like one of my new patented rodeo belt buckles*.

* with the new smaller, more energy efficient, low-level x-ray emitter module built in.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
jaguar
whig

......All I could think of was

Except with it's actually worse....it's got this twisted backward homophobic macho morality thing....about something designed to promote understanding....incredible, the world never ceases to amaze me.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I'll bet that mom wouldn't have been so 'offended' if she hadn't been societally told to be offended by it.

Me? I'd write it off as a second Halloween, a day where you can dress up and be anything and NO ONE SHOULD CARE.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
garnet

"As a substitute for "TWIRP Day," the schools ranging from elementary to senior high decided to hold "Camo Day" -- with black boots and Army camouflage to be worn by everyone who wants to participate."

Do the kids get to bring semi-automatic weapons and hand grenades, too? After all, if they want to encourage this, the costumes should be "authentic." If it were my kid, I'd prefer the TWIRP thing over this camoflage crap. Silly.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This is a perfect example of the newly prevailing state of Conservative extremism in this country. Unabated homophobia is absolutely okay, and it is more acceptable to dress your kids as little bullet catchers than it is to have them act silly in the tradition of Milton Berle, Monty Python and J. Edgar Hoover.

What country and I living in, again? The Christian States of America, is it?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

Either way the girls can be tough and kick some Sadie Black Hawkins Down ass.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
... it is more acceptable to dress your kids as little bullet catchers...

Yes--on both counts.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I hope they're getting those little girls out of pants and into dresses, too.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
Spurger schools for years during Homecoming Week -- to give boys and girls a chance to reverse social roles and let older girls invite boys on dates, open doors....

.....get drunk, make the first move, and the second, get the kids jeans off, show the big "O" face in the back seat, make a mess, and drop them off before 11 to spend the remainder of the evening playing GTA.

What could be better? Equality. What a concept.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
... show the big "O" face in the back seat...
Of her mom's stylishly practical minivan instead of her dad's showy girl-catcher sportscar/coupe?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why are they listening to this woman? Is she speaking for a group? Fuck her, if she doesn't like it she can keep her kids home that day.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #13
warch
lurkin old school

Lawsuit! Lawsuit! The Liberty Legal Christian lawyers.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

The next time I go to a masquerade ball I'll be careful to not become the bird thats feathers are used to make my mask.
Hiram Sasser, are you kidding me? Is that really his name? Does that Law Institue double as a clown school? What are the entry requirements....the handle off the fridge in mom and dads trailer?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
This is a perfect example of the newly prevailing state of Conservative extremism in this country. Unabated homophobia is absolutely okay, and it is more acceptable to dress your kids as little bullet catchers than it is to have them act silly in the tradition of Milton Berle, Monty Python and J. Edgar Hoover.

To put everything in perspective -

Quote:
Hollywood tough guy Charles Bronson had a rather non-macho childhood. His family was so poor that he had to wear his sister's hand-me-down dresses to school.
...and he was no sissy.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote