The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
kerosene
Touring the facilities

My husband had his done 8 years ago. Before I met him. He has had no issues with it at all.

Except that now he wants to get it reversed!
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 AM   #18
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I met a guy the other week that has had it done and reversed....3 times!!! 2 different wives, weird, he doesnt seem to see it as a problem, except for the $8k he has forked out the last couple of times.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just install a goddamn valve already!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

that would be a neat solution
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
You all are right. Logically I know this, it is his turn and he'll be fine. But he wants ME to make all of the arrangements for him, because he just doesn't do that sort of thing. And I feel terribly guilty about it, as if I'm making a vet appointment to get my dog neutered. Yeah I know, different procedures, LOL! It just feels pushy and selfish. I can just hear him saying to his buddies, "my wife made me the appointment so I had to go..." which sounds a lot worse than it is. If he would make that phone call himself, I could deal with it better!
Don't forget that you still need protection for up to a month post his procedure and then he still will need a sperm count prior to having sex unprotected. I have seen more than one person show up prego because they didn't wait or check.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #22
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Just install a goddamn valve already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
that would be a neat solution
You thought you were joking, didn't you?

Quote:

Radio-controlled sperm 'tap' turns off vasectomies

A radio-controlled contraceptive implant that could control the flow of sperm from a man's testicles is being developed by scientists in Australia.

The device is placed inside the vas deferens - the duct which carries sperm from each testicle to the penis. When closed, it blocks the flow of sperm cells, allowing them to pass again when it is opened via a remote control. The valve could be a switchable alternative to vasectomy, the researchers say.

Although women can choose from several long-term contraceptive methods, for men vasectomy is really the only option. With this procedure, the vasa deferentia are cut or blocked, a process that requires surgery and can require a week of recovery. The procedure cannot be reliably reversed, leaving some men to later regret their decision.

Now, a team from the University of Adelaide, Australia, may have come up with a more easily reversed alternative. They have designed a small radio-controlled valve that would "push-fit" snugly inside the vas deferens and block the passage of sperm.

The silicone-polymer valve can be flipped between open and closed positions with a pulse of radio waves. A set of conducting "fingers" on the valve act as antennae and convert the signal's energy into sound waves that travel through the polymer and create stresses inside the device.

Remote control
"Since it is flexible, the polymer either contracts or expands as a result, and this movement allows the valve to be opened or closed as needed," explains team leader Said Al-Sarawi.

"It will be like turning a TV on and off with a remote control," added team founder Derek Abbott, "except that the remote will probably be locked away in your local doctor's office to safeguard against accidental pregnancy or potential misuse of the device."

To secure the device against accidental activation, the device works in a similar way to a car's remote key-fob. Each valve responds only to a radio-frequency signal with a unique code.

Another advantage of the microvalve is that would not require open surgery, unlike a vasectomy. The 800 micron-long device could simply be inserted using a hypodermic needle. "The procedure could be performed in a special clinic rather than in a hospital," says Abbott.

The researchers have finished the design of all parts of the valve, and are convinced it will work effectively. The next step is to test it in the lab with a tube of pressurized water. After that, trials could begin in live sheep and pigs, they say.

'Grace period'
One potential problem, however, is that after a while the valve may clog with protein and remain shut, rendering the man permanently infertile.

"We would only propose the device to men who were thinking of having a full vasectomy anyway," said Abbott. "But, unlike in an actual vasectomy, he would have a 'grace period' where the procedure can easily be reversed." How such a device affects gender politics would also make a fascinating social study, he added.

Men who regret a vasectomy can often only have children using donor sperm, says Natalie Gamble, associate with UK law firm Lester Aldridge.

"Although the law protects families conceiving with the help of a sperm donor, this type of conception has significant legal and emotional implications," she adds. " I am sure men will welcome the chance to control their fertility more flexibly, and to preserve the chance to have their own genetic child."

Joe Hofmeister is president of US firm Shepherd Medical Company, which is also working on male contraceptive devices. "Consumer market research performed by an independent third party for Shepherd confirms a strong patient desire for a permanent-yet-reversible male contraceptive such as the microvalve or other such system."
Look for it being marketed as the "Down-Under stop-cock".
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #23
binky
all hollowed out

My husband had a vasectomy after our youngest daughter was born (at 38, and after 2 c-sections, I was DONE going under the knife!). Not only did it not cause us any sexual problems, but not having to worry about using birth control actually jazzed up our sex life.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
You thought you were joking, didn't you?
Look for it being marketed as the "Down-Under stop-cock".
Years ago I saw an article about how they could install what amounted to a tiny stopcock and let the incision heal. The doctor would have to make another incision to turn it back on if you changed your mind, but it could be done and cheaply.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #25
glatt

That radio controlled valve would just be begging to be hacked by evil genius pranksters. Instead of copying your key fob in a walk by rfid sniffing session, they would be making you fertile again, without your knowledge.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Years ago I saw an article about how they could install what amounted to a tiny stopcock and let the incision heal. The doctor would have to make another incision to turn it back on if you changed your mind, but it could be done and cheaply.
I was just thinking about what may have been the same article. There was a really fabulous picture of the teensy weensy gold? valves, so I'm guessing it was in Life Magazine or something similar.

(weird how recall works, sometimes, but I'm also remembering that the tiny little guys were photographed balanced on someone's fingertip)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
That radio controlled valve would just be begging to be hacked by evil genius pranksters. Instead of copying your key fob in a walk by rfid sniffing session, they would be making you fertile again, without your knowledge.
I would never be comfortable with this... if I had it done I'd need to get full-blown snippage. (My wife had her tubes tied after the second kid.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

There is a laproscopic version of a tubal now... it is an out patient procedure.

I had the real deal when I had my C-section... have never looked back... glad I did it all in one...

We basically had a bet going to see who was getting fixed... C-section... me... natural birth and Flint would be sitting on ice packs... you already know who lost. Flint was relieved...
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

When I had mine done about oh 15 years ago, I was told about all this pain and ice and blah blah blah - Missed two days of work - the day I had it done and the next. No big deal, no ice no killer meds. It was done laproscopically and that was it. Three small incisions. I was "back in the saddle" in less than two weeks.
No one should fear the scope - The nurse who shaved the "area prior to surgery - YES, but not the scope.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #30
Tiki

My ex-husband got a vasectomy, and for a couple of years afterward had a severe shooting pain in his testicles at ejaculation... and then a few years later a friend of mine had it done and experienced the same thing. It's not a common side effect, but it is a documented one, and something to be aware of.

I have an IUD. This is my third IUD, and I'm really happy with it overall. However, my youngest daughter was conceived on an IUD that had been in place for two years, so I'm well aware that there is a possibility of failure... it's simply that this is the best option for me right now.