The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #661
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Thanks everyone. I admit to being pleased with them.

Glatt, they are about 8 or nine inches. The base started out at five but was turned down a bit. I didn't measure them before I gave them as a gift.

Here are some photos of the process. The first is the roughed out blank with the landmarks in pencil. They indicate the high points, the low points, any transitions, beads, coves and such. The low points are cut to depth with a parting tool and a caliper. In this case I wanted as much fullness possible for the body of the vase so I did not go deeper than the rough dimension and added the line as a witness.

The second photo you can see I've made rough shapes and if you look closely at the lower vase shape you can see the witness mark is still there.

The next series of photos (not in exact order of operation) shows how I made the copper insert which took nearly as long as turning the stick. Still photos of turning seem silly to me, but if I can figure out a way to rig up my camera I might do a video of the process. Someday. It's an achievement I got this far.

I hunted around for something appropriate and considered soldering some copper flashing but that sounded like way too much work and my metal working tools are limited. Standard taper candle bases are 7/8" (Chinese made candles are metric and thus a little smaller which is why your candles always wobble - because you are buying cheap-ass candles at Walmart, you imperialist stooge) so I looked for something with a 7/8" ID. As it happens, a 3/4" copper pipe coupling is awfully close so I chose that.

It was too short (sort of) to use a pipe cutter (not really, I was just too lazy to go search for the pipe cutter and also the cutting wheel is chipped so it doesn't really work anyway) I made a hash of it with my hacksaw and had to grind the cut ends even. Hack being most appropriate in this case.

The ID being set, the OD was a problem, it is slightly smaller than 1", so when I used a 1" Forstner bit the hole was over sized and the insert would drop out. I decided to flare it so it would make a tight fit. I was worried about the lack of material at the top after drilling a 1" hole, afraid I'd come through or leave the piece so thin that if the copper heated up from a low candle it might expand and split the wood. So, I only went down about 5/8" with the !" bit and then switched to a 7/8" bit to finish the depth. That left a nice shelf for the insert to sit on.

Next, I cleaned out the burrs, and annealed the piece making it soft enough to easily work. I looked around for a tapered tool to flare the coupling but couldn't find one. I didn't feel like checking a piece of maple in the lathe to turn a taper and my pipe flaring kit was MIA along with the pipe cutter and I wasn't even sure it went up to 11, anyway. I kept hunting and found a heavy chrome plated tap handle that was perfect.

Greased both pieces with SuperLube (a product I wholeheartedly endorse) and set it in a handy hole in my benchtop. I was worried that the because of the softness of the copper the end would deform if I used my vise. In the end I had to b/c the hole in the bench was well worn from years of use with a holdfast. It work out fine, it deformed a little but I flipped the piece over and trued it up.

Once I got the flare I measured the depth in the candlestick and drilled into a piece of scrap to make a holding jig so I could peen the edge and further develop the flare. It required another annealing after leaving the jig before being put into the stick where I planished it to conform the the top of the stick.

I tried a couple of types of Minwax stains and fishes but they suck so I got out some oil paints I have from my art school days and mixed up some burnt umber and burnt sienna and thinned them out with a small amount of varnish, just enough to make them brush easily. I let that soak in for a while and wiped it off with a paper towel. When the color was where I wanted it, I went back over the nooks and crannies with the color, let it soak, then wiped it off. I also wiped extra thoroughly on the high points to mimic the wear you'd see after years of handling. It was a quicky finish and I ran out of denatured alcohol so I couldn't mix up shellac which would have really added to the effect by building up selective layers of color vs. transparency. I was very happy with the color and I'd like to use the technique again.

I realize the photos are heavy on the metal work, I'll see what I can do about getting some better turning action shots.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #662
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm glad you found another use for the super lube but the time invested in those inserts is nuts. As beautiful as they turned out, best get some store bought for production.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #663
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Absolutely. The store bought ones are seven cents each...
Old 05-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #664
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Wow! Christmas came early to my little shop. Not one, but TWO different types of brass inserts arrived at my house.

Many thanks to my benefactor, I will get cracking!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #665
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Not today but yesterday. The Cellar T-Shirt gets another outing ...
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #666
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That looks like a small space, it must have been loud.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #667
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That looks like a small space, it must have been loud.

It was indeed a small stage and Biff, our singer, almost capsized my beer, but the hall was of a size to cope with our decibels.

Sent by magic.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #668
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #669
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Biff, our singer, almost capsized my beer
At least a murder was avoided.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #670
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
It was indeed a small stage and Biff, our singer, almost capsized my beer, but the hall was of a size to cope with our decibels.

Sent by magic.
Nice!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #671
thecynicproject
lurker extraordinaire

Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse, etc..
I made this game called Pixelsphere. It has a 4 hour soundtrack and it's free on my website. Unfortunately, it took 5 years to make, so I'm trying to find out, have any TV shows been made since "Breaking Bad"?

http://pixelsphere.org

http://pixelsphere.org
Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #672
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I last made a glass of chocolate Milk
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #673
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

dear thecynicproject

please fix your link

thanks in advance
Old 06-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #674
glatt

Floating selfie stick. Bottle chosen for optimum grip size, durability, and visibility. Whole thing cost me 79 cents.

This is for salt water, so it will rust. Interesting to see how fast with bright steel fasteners.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #675
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I didn't make it so much as assemble it, and it wasn't today, but...

Lego Saturn V
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy