The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Just in case you thought racism ended....

From here

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Yes, but does he count the little bars of soap after they leave?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Cloud

what an idiot. oh, but think of the children! (like, an academy award winning actress, Miss America, and oh yeah, the president). Personally, I'm all for mixing people up. Improves the species.

and we could use some improving. obviously.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS
This will end badly.

Quote:
A Louisiana justice of the peace
Yup. 'Cause we all know how well Louisiana likes to obey federal laws.

Quote:
said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.
1. Is it his decision?
2. Might have? No kids involved at this point, yet he's making a legal decision on something that has not, and might not happen?
3. Place all belongings in the baskets. They shall be returned to you once we reach the camps.

Quote:
Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
How many interracial couples has he married?
Or does he know this as a fact because he and his buddies have 'removed' the 'other than white' spouse?
Remember, kids, marriages end when one of them dies...

Quote:
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"
What? That's racist right there.

Quote:
"I have piles and piles of black friends.
...stacked up in my basement...

Quote:
They come to my home,
... because I refuse to be seen in their neighborhood, or, "The Ghetto", as we call it 'round here....

Quote:
I marry them,
... but I don't want one marrying my sister...

Quote:
they use my bathroom.
It's amazing that you can housebreak them that fast. If you do it when they're young, it saves a world of problems later.

Quote:
I treat them just like everyone else."
Which is not to say that I treat everyone else as sub-human. Just them... I mean I don't treat them bad, I thought the cross was a nice lawn decoration. I don't know how the fire started... Oh, look at the time, I must be going. I have a meeting to go to. If I'm late, the Grand Dragon, I mean, my boss will be just so mad...

FTFA:
Quote:
"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.
But this ain't equal, you Clint-Howard-lookin' asshole.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years

Last edited by Crimson Ghost; 10-17-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Because I god-damn well felt like it!!!
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

very well done CG!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Very nice CG.

It's amazing how this stuff is still going on and it's not until someone speaks up that it gets noticed. When it does, it suddenly becomes a national and international story. It appears that this guy refused to marry at least 4 other couples until he found the wrong ones to mess with.

In some cases, I feel sorry for people caught in the 'media spotlight'. In other cases, I don't care if they burn up like an ant under a magnifying glass.

This so brings back the history of Loving v. Virginia. In that case the couple was exceptionally brave in risking jail. The judge who sentenced them reminded me of this guy.

Quote:
The trial judge in the case, Leon Bazile, echoing Johann Friedrich Blumenbach's 18th-century interpretation of race, proclaimed that “ Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.
Why is religion wasted on assholes like that?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

According to the news, this is not the first time he has refused to marry an interracial couple. He refers the couple to another justice of the peace who will do the job instead.

It amazes me that this is the first time he has been called on this. I understand that if you want to get married, you may well want to avoid controversy, but still I would think that somebody would have complained earlier.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=49720 :

" Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal issued a statement saying the nine-member Louisiana Judiciary Commission that reviews lawyers and judges in the state should investigate. Jindal added, "Disciplinary action should be taken immediately, including the revoking of his license."

U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., said in a statement Bardwell's practices and comments were deeply disturbing. "Not only does his decision directly contradict Supreme Court rulings, it is an example of the ugly bigotry that divided our country for too long."

The other Louisiana U.S. Senator David Vitter, R-La. who is running for re-election has chosen not to issue a statement."

In another development according to USA Today, Bardwell, who has been an elected judge for 34 years, says the state attorney general told him years ago that he would eventually get into trouble for not performing interracial marriages... "I told him if I do, I'll resign... I have rights too. I'm not obligated to do that just because I'm a justice of the peace."

What is unclear is who was the Louisiana State Attorney General who knew Bardwell was violating the law and decided not to investigate and prosecute him.

Bardwell, a Republican, has served as justice of peace for 34 years. He has run without opposition each time. His current term expires Dec. 31, 2014.

Judge Bardwell would not return phone calls and his answering machine is apparently full.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ybenjamin/detail??blogid=150&entry_id=49720#ixzz0UCl7MeUf"

Of course, Vitter was involved with the "DC Madam", so he can hardly be said to believe in marriage.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3037338.shtml
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil View Post
"...I have rights too. I'm not obligated to do that just because I'm a justice of the peace."
"I have the right to trample all over other peoples' rights if I want to."

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil View Post
...Bardwell, a Republican, ...
What a surprise!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
SamIam

Quote:
The other Louisiana U.S. Senator David Vitter, R-La. who is running for re-election has chosen not to issue a statement."
Sometimes silence is better than a thousand words.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Sometimes silence is better than a thousand words.
I agree. A majority of Vitter's voting base probably already considers the judge too progressive for letting 'them' use his bathroom.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Thanks, classic and rich.

Ignorant people like this 'justice of the peace' (and it galls me to call him that) piss me off.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

He must have dementia, as he thinks he's in the 50's.

@Crimson..

Thanks for the laff.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

"I have...black friends...they use my bathroom" ha ha ha
He admits, he will alow it, but obviously it still bothers him at some level.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What a prick.
I mean, really. Does he refuse to marry poor people, because the pressure of living without money puts a strain on the relationship?
Does he refuse to marry police because the instances of alcoholism are high in that profession, or surgeons because rates of suicide are high, or stock market traders because they burn-out so young?

Are gay couples were allowed to marry in Nawleans? I wonder what would happen if an interracial couple of men turned up on his doorstep. Just a guess of course, but I suspect he'd have an apoplexy.