The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #2626
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Reading 'Gone Girl' again as a study in psychopathic personality. Pondering how much is inborn and what may be precipitated as a survival mechanism in an abusive environment.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #2627
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why did no one warn me that Divergent is a terrible, lame, load of crap?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #2628
Griff
still says videotape

Cuz we didn't read it, and now won't. Thanks for taking one for the team.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #2629
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Started listening to Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers last night. Very enjoyable, and offers some interesting statistical insights for parenting and personhood in general.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #2630
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #2631
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Re: Terry Brooks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
...lord what a thicket of adverbs and adjectives and maybe a third of them necessary...
WORD.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #2632
monster
I hear them call the tide

I decided not to proceed further with the Book Thief. Am I the biggest philistine around? And how do you pronounce that anyway?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #2633
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Phyllis Steen

I don't know anything about the Book Thief, I just keep hearing the name thrown around. Should I try it? Or is it dumb? Usually books that are this popular are very appealing to Oprah's Book Club types, and thus not at all interesting to me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #2634
Griff
still says videotape

The girls here read and liked it. I didn't read it but thought the movie was good.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #2635
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
W.E.B Griffin Hazardous Duty. MASH goes to the white house.
You made me giggle.

WEB Griffin wrote several of the MASH Goes to sequels. Very funny. I have the whole set.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #2636
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gone Girl was some serious kind of fucked up. But unfortunately predictable.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #2637
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Gone Girl was some serious kind of fucked up. But unfortunately predictable.
The book was predictable, but a psychopath of that sort is not uncommon. I imagine the author knew one. She communicated the coldness and inability to empathize on any level very well.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #2638
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'm listening to the audiobook of The Passage by Justin Cronin. What a wonderful book! And beautifully read too.

I'm so pleased to be into something again. Had a spell of not being able to get into anything. tried a dozen books on kindle and several on audio that just didn't click with me. Probably because I'd previously had a run of superb books that spoiled me for a while. Y'know when a book or a series gets right under your skin and you just want that same hit, but nothing quite compares?

Some of the books in that run of awesomeness:

1. If You Fall I Will Catch you , by Eifion Jenkins. Unusual for me to go for a standalone novel. Usually I prefer series or at the very least standalones by an author with a large back catalogue of books to hit if the style grabs me (like Tom Holt or Stephen King) - but this was a real gem of a novel. Not all that long, maybe 350 pages - but by the end of it I felt like I'd read an epic. Hard to describe it - it's sort of sci-fi, but with a spirituality to it. Beautifully written and with a surprising depth. Set in the future, after a plague (I think was a plague) has wiped out much of humanity. The world is dominated by a Spanish empire of sorts, but the main character, Gwidion is in a Welsh village (to start with). He's haunted by a memory of sorts - and a 'twin' brother who never existed. The twin is connected to the events of 9/11, and event Gwidion knows nothing about, and yet is connected to via the twin and dreams of falling.

I'm not doing it justice - just take my advice and read it. You'll be glad you did.

2. Dark Eden - another standalone. And another sort of sci-fi with a spiritual edge. Set a century and a half after a small group of people landed on the planet they called Eden. A strange planet completely alien to Earth, with no sunlight. The light all comes from the plants and animals. The descendants of the small group are all one family, though divided into little groups. They've remained in theplace where the craft landed - fearful of ever straying too far in case the shps came from Earth to retrieve them and can;t find them - stuck in a cycle of repetition and locked into living in the same way, following the same paths their forebears had, with most of the planet unexplored. One youngster wants to change ho they live - he recognises that they cannot continue to exist in the little valley, with food running scarce as their population continues to grow. Again, I'm not doing this justice :p One of the lovely things about it is the language. It's told from the perspective of different characters, swapping between them as the story unfolds, and using the dialect and speech patterns of the little colony. Reminded me a little of Ridley Walker at times. The rhythms of the speech and the little survivals of words and concepts from Earth (such as the yearly meetings known as Any Virsries and the occasional Strordinry Meeting - with the Secret Ary taking notes, scratched on bark).

I've already talked about the Gentleman Bastards series on audio - listened to the three currently available - was a marathon! 70 hours or thereabouts - like watching a boxset :P Made it difficult to get into any audio afterwards - was so good and so well read.

The other series that got under my skin was on kindle - The Demon Wars cycle, by Peter V Brett beginning with The Painted Man (The Warded Man in the US). Tried the audio and it didn't click with me - but then I got them on kindle and they blew me away. Love the way it's written - the dialects remind me a bit of Game of Thrones (inasmuch as I can hear the accent). Really well- built world, with a clear sense of place and people. Gutted when the third book ended on a (fairly literal) cliffhanger! Now probably have a year to wait at least for the next instalment.

The Demon Wars trilogy spoiled me on reading, in just the same way that Gentleman Bastards spoiled me on audio. I so wanted that same kind of feel and just couldn't find it anywhere.

I tried so many different books on kindle and audio and nothing was clicking with me. I'm a chapter or three into about 8 books just now. I'd get into one a little and read for a night, but then didn't feel drawn to return to that story. And tried a few audios too, none of which took. Then I remembered The Passage, which I got through audible a couple of years ago for Mum and never listened to it myself.

So pleased it's good. I really needed to be into a book!

Last edited by DanaC; 04-13-2014 at 02:28 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #2639
busterb
NSABFD

"True Evil" by Greg Iles. A good read. IMHO.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #2640
BardoXV
B.O.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I'm listening to the audiobook of The Passage by Justin Cronin. What a wonderful book! And beautifully read too.
Many years ago the local PBS radio station had a program called "Reading aloud" and there were a few good books that I was able to listen to. I heard the end of the play "Equus" by Peter Shaffer and many years later was able to acquire a copy to read. I also say the movie but was very disappointed, because they took a stage production and shot the movie on non-stage locations. Next I listened to parts of "Miles from Nowhere" about a bicycle trip by a couple who rode around the world. In One of the more interesting segments, they were crossing Northern Africa and stopped for the night next to some Bedouin shepherds, visited with them and then want to bed in their tent. A short time later they heard them approach on foot and were afraid they might be attacked, robbed, and killed, and then they heard the men playing their musical instruments and singing, they were serenading them to sleep.
BardoXV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books