The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #61
monster
I hear them call the tide

what is that and why is Inspector Needham speaking scottish?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #62
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
It's from "Comfort and Joy" by Bill Forsyth. Gregory's Girl, Local Hero, etc.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #63
kerosene
Touring the facilities

We played all the usuals growing up. I hated Trivial Pursuit. Always did and probably always will. I am just not good at trivia. Loved Risk, Axis and Allies and Monopoly. We play a game sometimes called Settlers of Catan. It's pretty addictive.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #64
Cloud

I really want to play Settlers of Catan with my family. I keep meaning to buy it, but $40 wow. Do you play the basic game, or do you need to get the extensions, kerosene?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #65
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Last time we had a family reunion, my cousin brought Settlers of Catan and we stayed up late playing it. It wasn't too hard to learn, but it really helped having one person truly familiar with the game to teach us along the way. It would have been much harder if we were all trying to learn at the same time. The funny thing was, the next morning we realized that every single one of us had dreamed about the game in some way. It's a pretty damn good game.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #66
monster

We got Hunters and Gatherers by the same people. It's a good game the kids enjoy. Sort of entry level for Catan, I understand. Eventually we will get Settlers. When we find it on sale Actually, I might get it from the downtown games store with my "Thanks Coach" downtown gift voucher. Or I might get TransEurope (European and slightly harder version of TransAmerica) Or I might get a massage
Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #67
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We used to play a game called Dark Tower. Obsessively, marathon all day sessions sometimes.
It was a cross between a board game, a fantasy game and a "computer" game, although all the computer really was, was an electronic way of putting a random element in.

I didn't realise, but Dads had the game from early November, and learned all the rules, and painted all the figures. This meant we hit the ground running at Christmas, and could play as a family. Also, when a schoolfriend raved about the game after playing it for hours at our house, her Mum bought it for her. Imagine all our surprise when the brightly painted pieces (especially the dragon) were just plain plastic!

She barely played it - the adults in her house weren't interested so it was only ever a two player game with her brother. Nowhere near as much fun.

I love Scattergories, but once I moved away from my peer group I didn't get as many opportunities to play it. Not because my new group of friends didn't like games, but because they perceived it as my special game which I only wanted to play because I won. Which wasn't true - I simply loved it.

I had another one which in the end NO-ONE would play with me, for the same reason. It was called Evolution (I think) and it was all about the origins of words and phrases. I was accused of memorising all the cards. Bollocks. Yes, I did learn a lot from the game, but it was only through playing it, and the fact I found it fascinating. But yes, I always did win. Gave it to a charity shop in the end.

I also liked Pass the Bomb but found few takers. Word games, all. Hated Risk or any other games of strategy Liked Monopoly because you could bumble about and rely on luck.

BTW - how come Shawnee AND IM get to appear on the Cellar Monopoly board? It's a monopoly! Can we have Dana in the pink if IM gets to be in the brown? Although Dana should really be somewhere more serious and worthy. Pink, anyway - what part of the board is that? Are you thinking of burgundy - Pall Mall, Whitehall and Northumberland Avenue?

And no, I have no idea why rent on Piccadilly was £22. Please explain.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #68
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I really want to play Settlers of Catan with my family. I keep meaning to buy it, but $40 wow. Do you play the basic game, or do you need to get the extensions, kerosene?
I don't think you would need extensions, unless you have more than 4 players. I like that the board is so variable, that you end up having to come up with new strategies each time. They also have an online version, that is free to play. I want to get a hold of some of the extensions, but with three of us most of the time, I wonder if it might not be much fun. If there were 6 of us, it might be different.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #69
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Last time we had a family reunion, my cousin brought Settlers of Catan and we stayed up late playing it. It wasn't too hard to learn, but it really helped having one person truly familiar with the game to teach us along the way. It would have been much harder if we were all trying to learn at the same time. The funny thing was, the next morning we realized that every single one of us had dreamed about the game in some way. It's a pretty damn good game.
We learned from some friends. It is much better to learn from someone who knows. We played it one night and didn't have the patience to wait until we could get it cheap, so we spent the 40 bucks at target.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #70
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
BTW - how come Shawnee AND IM get to appear on the Cellar Monopoly board? It's a monopoly! Can we have Dana in the pink if IM gets to be in the brown? Although Dana should really be somewhere more serious and worthy. Pink, anyway - what part of the board is that? Are you thinking of burgundy - Pall Mall, Whitehall and Northumberland Avenue?

And no, I have no idea why rent on Piccadilly was £22. Please explain.
it wasn't/isn't burgundy. it was/is pink. And Pink totally has to be the strawberry festival queen triumvirate. And if im and shawnee can vote in the zengumnamepoll, they can totally do this.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #71
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Risk, Monopoly, Chutes and Ladders (when we were little), Parcheesi, Life....
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #72
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I used to like monopoly when I was younger, but not so much now. Not sure why.

I like pictionary but prefer card games like 500.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #73
TheMercenary

I never learned to play chess till I was in HS, Backgammon as well, which I became totally addicted to playing.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #74
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Oh yeah, backgammon is an awesome game. I play it online sometimes.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #75
TheMercenary

Where? I would like to do that. Post a link.