The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Entitlements of prisoners

Recently a Muslim prisoner convicted of sexual assault used anti-discrimination laws in order to demand halal(sp?) food.

If a person commits a crime and is sent to prison as punishment, I don't believe they should get to dictate how their lives are run. I believe they forfeit all those rights once they make the decision to commit a crime. I also believe that if it's for religious reasons that they require the food (or any other special priviledges) then perhaps they should have thought of that prior to committing the crime. I'm not sure there's any religion which stipulates in their doctrine that it's ok to commit sexual assault. Most of them would say they're going to hell anyway, so what does it matter? Unless you're catholic of course. Then all you have to do is say a few hail mary's and you'll be fine.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I see no problem whatsoever with a moslem prisoner being given halal food.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I believe that if dietary requirements are a recognised part of an established religion they should be recognised. I don't see them as a privelege or a benefit of any sort - it's not like the prisoner is asking for brandy and cigars after every meal.

However I think if the cost of providing halal (or kosher) meat is prohibitive to the prison a vegetarian diet is an acceptable compromise.

I don't think that demanding that prisoners abandon any religious beliefs they have can possibly benefit anyone.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
DanaC

Well said Sundae.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I don't think that demanding that prisoners abandon any religious beliefs they have can possibly benefit anyone.
I don't like culliflower. Therefore, when ever they serve it, they should provide me with parsnips. Why not? Why does anyone get special consideration, if not everyone?
What entitles the prisoner to impose even further cost on society? I'll bet providing halal food for this guy would be just as expensive as brandy and cigars. Maybe more so.
Another good reason for the death penalty, eliminate this kind of whining crap.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Prisoners can believe whatever they want. However, the life they have chosen has severely restricted the practice and expression of those beliefs. That's one of the punishments of prison. You don't get what you want when you want it; your time is not your own, it belongs to the state. Perhaps the experience is meant to teach you that if you don't commit a crime then you can do what you want, including eat a halal diet.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

Feed all prisoners soylent green!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Prisoners have done something to warrant the decision to remove them from society. No special amenities should be given to them what so ever. They have done something that shows that they are not fit to walk amongst regular society and so they should not be treated like regular society.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Prisoners should be treated well but they should also help out the community doing projects. Letting them rot in prisons won't do anything but waste tax payer money.

I'm guessing a 30 year old, tough looking, prisoner in jail for murder would be more convincing as a public speaker to keep kids out of drugs or gangs then a 40 year old mom could ever be.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
I'm guessing a 30 year old, tough looking, prisoner in jail for murder would be more convincing as a public speaker to keep kids out of drugs or gangs then a 40 year old mom could ever be.
In my (pretty rough) junior high school, we had a yearly program where convicts currently serving prison sentences would be brought it to talk to us.

The second year they only made the "at-risk" kids go again, but the 7th graders all had to go. The thing that seemed to make the biggest impression on the budding hoodlums was when this grizzled, muscular guy said, "It's not just that you get raped in prison, boys. It's that everyone has their needs, and after 20 years, I'm here to tell you that you do things like that willingly." They were all ready to turn over a new leaf, for at least a day or two...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

people in hell want ice water. but they aint gettin it.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

If your religious conviction isn't strong enough to overcome this kind of superficial obstacle, then it isn't worth much.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
In my (pretty rough) junior high school, we had a yearly program where convicts currently serving prison sentences would be brought it to talk to us.

The second year they only made the "at-risk" kids go again, but the 7th graders all had to go. The thing that seemed to make the biggest impression on the budding hoodlums was when this grizzled, muscular guy said, "It's not just that you get raped in prison, boys. It's that everyone has their needs, and after 20 years, I'm here to tell you that you do things like that willingly." They were all ready to turn over a new leaf, for at least a day or two...
That reminds me of that program from when I was younger "Scared Straight." As I recall, most of the kids went back to their same old ways after a time.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
DanaC

Quote:
I'll bet providing halal food for this guy would be just as expensive as brandy and cigars. Maybe more so.
In what was would halal food be as expensive as brandy and cigars? Get real.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
In what was would halal food be as expensive as brandy and cigars? Get real.
Halal requirements

A sample list of items which are either Haram (the opposite of Halal) or Mushbooh ("Items that are designated as mashbooh are items whose status is doubtful or questionable. Muslims who are exceedingly strict may reject all mashbooh items , certain sects within the faith will also reject some mashbooh items that other Muslims would accept."):

Animal fat
Animal Shortening
Bacon
Cholesterol
Collagen
Diglyceride(animal derived)
Emulsifiers
Enzymes
Fatty Acids
Gelatin
Glyseride
Glycerol/Glycerin
Glycerol Sterate
Glycogen
Hormones
Hydrolyzed Animal Protein
Lard
Lecithin(dependent on source of product)
Monoglycerides
Pepsin
Phospholipid
Pork
Soaps(soaps are unacceptable if derived from lard, beef tallow is acceptable)
Whey
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote