The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Headed to Australia next week and wondering if I will have any hassels with Customs

We are headed to Australia next week and only just found out that one has to declare prescription meds upon entry at Customs. My BP and asthma shouldn't be too much of an issue as they are pretty common but I also take a testosterone hormone treatment because mine became very low.

Come to find out just about all forms of the stuff are illegal there and I am having to apply for an import permit which may or may not arrive before I depart. So I have been told on some travel forums that they may confiscate it which sucks because it is expensive and one needs to taper off of it and avoid suddenly stopping.

Other then that I'm excited about the trip!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I realize the thread is about the trip but how's the treatment working out for you? How did you find out it was low?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I realize the thread is about the trip but how's the treatment working out for you? How did you find out it was low? And how can the rest of us get some?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

It was about a year ago when I had some of the usual signs for a 55 year old male like not as much interest in sex but also some unexpected weight gain, lack of energy, elevated blood pressure. I usually see my urologist annually since my dad had prostate cancer and he suggested a blood test for testosterone. Sure enough it was very low.

So he prescribed this stuff. Overall it has had many positive effects. Probably the only negative is that it is a gel solution and you have to message it on to an area of muscle mass like chest/shoulder area or thighs (my preference) and it's kind of cool from the alcohol in it but it dries pretty fast.

Oh and it is expensive if you don't have insurance, about $900 a month for my dose but I get it for $15 copay!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I understand it's customary for an American to buy a round of drinks for all the Aussies, when you enter a bar. That's what they told me, anyway.

What, not those kinds of customs?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Remember to call everyone Bruce to avoid confusion.

ETA: Try not to die. Everything in Oz will kill ya.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Chris - can you get a Dr's Certificate/Letter to take with you?

Generally, so long as you declare, the label matches your details and the drugs enclosed, and you arent carrying 4kgs for a month stay - you will probably be questioned, but nothing bad should happen (well, I dont see a cavity search as bad, YTMDFM).
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Remember to call everyone Bruce to avoid confusion.

ETA: Try not to die. Everything in Oz will kill ya.
Yeah, but you do get to invent funny names for stuff.

"What's that?"

"A sock?"

"No, it's a willigumwuppat!"

Here's an Aussie slang list

My personal favorite is - "Mappa Tassie : map of Tasmania - a woman’s pubic area"
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 08-31-2012 at 08:14 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I have no idea about the medicine, but you'll get in trouble for any fresh food, meat, cheese, plant material, seeds; anything that could have some kind of agricultural pest that could get established here.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You learned your lesson with the rabbits, eh?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Not quite footie...but the Cane Toads sure woke us up!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, that and the goats. And the foxes. And buffalo. Feral cats and dogs, too, camels, horses, donkeys, pigs, pigeons, millipedes... and there are persistent sightings of puma/cougar looking felines allegedly released by USAF shenaniganistas during WWII.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I warned Mum about taking her own tea.
Even in this country, she will generally have a sandwich bag with a couple of teabags in it. The lady is fussy. When I raised the issue she wasn't as dismissive as I expected. I mean after all they are teabags from a known seller, not some loose bark from the garden. But I think she respected my Border Control watching credentials.

And in fact it turned out that boxed, sealed, Twinings or not, they would have been confiscated. I can only assume that the vast majority of Australian weed is homegrown.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

Funny, the Americans are similarly strict but they allow tea. That's all banana lady has in her suitcase.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
And in fact it turned out that boxed, sealed, Twinings or not, they would have been confiscated. I can only assume that the vast majority of Australian weed is homegrown.
What I find odd is that items like packaged tea, which when boxed and shipped in 40 foot containers, gets passed through with minimal inspection, would be confiscated when a single easily inspected unit in a person's possession.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote