The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Ibby
erika

October 9, 2012 - The Heidelberg Project

Quote:
The Heidelberg Project was started in 1986 by the artist Tyree Guyton as a creative response to the blight and decay he saw in his neighborhood. His work, using paint and salvaged objects he found on the street to decorate the houses in his neighborhood, turned the once-threatened area into a tourist destination.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No, that is not a tourist destination.
That is a place of monsters.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Those look like some of the places I've run across deep in the Appalachian mountains, where I grew up.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm sure what we are all really wondering is...who's the cute blonde in the jean shorts?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

I've heard it ranks as the largest tourist attraction in Michigan, in terms of people/year or $/year.

Tyree has a pretty interesting footprint around the city. You'll be driving around the near east side, still blocks from the epicenter, and see buildings with large dots. My current favorite piece of his is the yaweh house.

For a while he was doing these paintings on car hoods. There's a nice one at the recycling center -- it just says "our hood" in his bold style. Although I might be fond of that just because I really dig the atmosphere at the recycling center -- last time I went they were blasting classical music, really loudly, at noon on a wednesday in a fairly dimly lit warehouse.)
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that top house is really architecturally pretty damn cool. I wish they had the money to restore those grand old houses.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yeah, I love those old houses too.

I don't care for this 'art.' It reminds me of Crazy Mary's house.

Story on this site, not quite halfway down the page.

Dead People I Was Mean To.

A friend and I drove by once in HS, and Crazy Mary was watching out her screen door. I never yelled anything at her, but you can't help but be curious.

edit: I don't know if that's the real story. My mom, a lifelong resident of that town, didn't know either. I don't remember just toy cars, there were baby dolls and other toys hanging in the trees.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
that top house is really architecturally pretty damn cool. I wish they had the money to restore those grand old houses.
And the desire. It seems the people that do have the money just want to tear them down and put up a cookie cutter McMansion. Odd shaped rooms, back staircases, and parapets, are the most wonderful places for children... of all ages.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And the desire. It seems the people that do have the money just want to tear them down and put up a cookie cutter McMansion. Odd shaped rooms, back staircases, and parapets, are the most wonderful places for children... of all ages.
I totally agree! and dumbwaiters! those things are the coolest!

Harriet the Spy hid in a dumbwaiter if I'm not mistaken. I coveted her lifestyle. I still do. I keep about seven notebooks on me at all times. And yes, my purse is HUGE. it has to be to carry all those books and notebooks. And pens. And mechanical pencils.

oh, god. I'm becoming strange in my decrepitude....
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

There are a lot of similar houses all over Upstate New York. They are cool, beautiful, fuel wasters, and full of lead paint.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
I'm sure what we are all really wondering is...
Why is Big Sarge looking out the window in the second pic?

Why is Big Sarge dangling from the eave of the turret in the first pic?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote