The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
be-bop
Operations Operative

East German Metal
haven't a farking clue what they're on about just love the track
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #17
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Very interesting Be-bop. Here is Running Wild from Germany with Black Hand Inn(1994) Total traditional british styled heavy metal in the vien of Judas Priest,Saxon and old Iron Maiden with Di Anno on vocals is the best way to discribe this. Been a fav of mine for some time now.
J.D.DIAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

one of the new ones by SMC

Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Very cool plthijinx. Iced Earth's 2nd album and title track 'Night Of The Stormrider". I only like Iced Earth's first 2 albums and this one is a classic.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Judas Priest - Demonizer from 2005's Angel Of Retribution....the last "real metal"album from this once great band.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #21
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Dimmu Borgir

The Sacrilegious Scorn

if you don't like heavy heavy metal...don't click.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Cool Plthijinx,

Immortal - One By One from the Sons Of Northern Darkness album,I bought this one when this came out in 2002. Totally excellent.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #23
drfroth
May Ter Dee

@plthijinx

Thanks for posting that up here...that was mighty moist of ya. Glad you will be making a few more shows soon.

my blog: Frothtonomy
drfroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
Datalyss
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Or traditional death metal like (old)Slayer,Onslaught,Protector,Hobb's Angel Of Death(old)Morbid Angel,(old)Deicide
Actually, Slayer is one of the four main thrash metal bands, along with Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax. Onslaught is also a thrash metal band. Protector and Hobb's Angel Of Death I've never heard of. You're right that both Morbid Angel and Deicide are Death Metal, but my primary preference for American Death Metal is Nile. For Swedish Death Metal...Arch Enemy FTMFW! And let's not forget about the brilliantly brutal creation of Brendon Small...DETHKLOK!

Quote:
Black metal bands like Venom,Mercyful Fate,Hellhammer,Celtic Frost,Bathory,Possessed,Sarcafago,Mortuary Drape ect...
I prefer Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, and Gorgoroth myself.
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #25
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

[quote=Datalyss;708760]Actually, Slayer is one of the four main thrash metal bands, along with Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax. Onslaught is also a thrash metal band. Protector and Hobb's Angel Of Death I've never heard of. You're right that both Morbid Angel and Deicide are Death Metal, but my primary preference for American Death Metal is Nile. For Swedish Death Metal...Arch Enemy FTMFW! And let's not forget about the brilliantly brutal creation of Brendon Small...DETHKLOK

Yeah your correct about Slayer being a thrash band nowdays. Back in 1983 they were considered "black metal" with the first LP 'Show No Mercy" with the overtly satanic lyrics and the proto corpse painted eyes with tons of spikes and chains ect...by 1984 and 85' with Hell Awaits they were then considered death metal by the underground metal media but your right,eventually by 86' they were definately thrash.I know these labels are irritating but thats how it was back then.

Onslaught however,thier first LP 1985's "Power From Hell" was absolutely considered a "death metal" album as on the back of the LP it says "1985 DEATH METAL AT IT'S HEAVIEST" and it still sounds death metal all the way with Paul Mayhoney on vocals and with the basement chalk sound and satanic lyrics with the band supporting spikes and chains and remember the band mentioning death metal in zine articles....this was real death metal in the mid 1980's and was the original type of sound/style started by Hellhammer who were obviously influenced by the mighty Venom,but the band still played gigs with other thrash bands by all means.

By the second album they changed vocalists and went "thrash",the vocalist from the 2nd Onslaught LP is actually the lame singer that would eventually sing in "Grim Reaper" HAHA!

Hobb's Angel Of Death and Protector are excellent hidden true death metal from the 80's. I don't care for the newer age of death metal that much,but I respect your views on it. Nile do have some interesting themes though.

As for black metal,I've folowed it also from the 80's,I bought Venom's At War With Satan LP when it came out in 1984 when I was 14,even Mercyful Fate were considered black metal at that time which alot of people have a hard time understanding even though Euronymous himself used to explain why they were,Celtic Frost's first 2 albums,Bathory's first 4 albums,Sarcafago,Possessed.

Early Mayhem with Dead and Euronymous,Mortuary Drape,Von,early Darkthrone,Immortal,Emperor,early Gorgoroth,Carpathian Forest,Satyricon's first LP Dark Medieval Times,Mutiilation,early Marduk,Graveland,Abigor,Sommoning "lugburz" album,Infernum,Enthroned's first 3 albums all from the early 90's totally kick balls too.The only other black metal bands I care for are 2 of Judas Iscariot's albums "Heaven In Flames" and "To Embrace The Corpses Bleeding" I've always thought are amazing, Weltmacht and Cult Of Daath.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 01-30-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #26
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Onslaught - Power From Hell 1985,this was the blue prints of death metal for what would eventually become Nile's sound of today ect... At this time there was nothing that was heavier except for Hellhammer from 1983.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #27
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Onslaught - Lord Of Evil -1985
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
Datalyss
Huh?

Well J.D. I don't really look that closely at the different genres (if I want to know what genre a band is, I Wiki it). I just listen to what sounds good to me, whether it's the easiest listening classical opus, true black metal from Norway, or the most brutal death metal.

BTW, here's an interesting tidbit: Tom Araya, Slayer frontman, is Catholic.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
J.D.DIAMOND
Compatriot-at-Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datalyss View Post
Well J.D. I don't really look that closely at the different genres (if I want to know what genre a band is, I Wiki it). I just listen to what sounds good to me, whether it's the easiest listening classical opus, true black metal from Norway, or the most brutal death metal.

BTW, here's an interesting tidbit: Tom Araya, Slayer frontman, is Catholic.
I agree with you on the genres,I was just saying how it was back in 1984 ect... And if thats what makes Tom happy then thats good for him. I was never able to get into any Slayer album after 1986 Reign In Blood album.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #30
Datalyss
Huh?

Quote:
I agree with you on the genres,I was just saying how it was back in 1984 ect... And if thats what makes Tom happy then thats good for him. I was never able to get into any Slayer album after 1986 Reign In Blood album.
Speaking of which, I thought you might find this interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Wikipedia contributor
Reign in Blood is regarded by critics as one of the most influential and extreme thrash metal albums. In its "Greatest Metal Bands Of All Time" poll, MTV praised Slayer's "downtuned rhythms, infectious guitar licks, graphically violent lyrics and grisly artwork," which they stated "set the standard for dozens of emerging thrash bands," while "Slayer's music was directly responsible for the rise of death metal." MTV described Reign in Blood as essential listening, and the album was ranked number 7 on IGN's "Top 25 Most Influential Metal Albums."
What other music do you like besides metal?