The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-05-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
aerion_13
tennis enthusiast

Martha Stewart Guilty

Well what does everyone think? Martha Stewart is being punished for being arrogant and for lying. I won't feel safer on the streets of East Hampton while she's in jail? Will you?
Attached Images

aerion_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

Kinda funny. All major businessmen engage in some kind of insider trading. Most aren't just obvious enough to get caught. She was damn stupid.

In a delicious twist of irony the drug they thought was going to get turned down has since been approved.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
blue
Operations Operative

Thank god, I really didn't care that much but was dreading listening about her "overcoming adversity" ad nauseum for the rest of my life if acquited (sp?).

Now she's a cnvicted felon, good enough for me. Apparently she faces 20 yrs, but in all reality will do 16 months or so at some white collar farm type place without fences.

Now if we wanted real justice, let her swap 100 million (YES, SHE HAS THIS MUCH), for every month, paid directly to anyone with a 401K worth < 100, 000.

And if she does get 3 yrs plus, let her sit in a cage. She'll be out in no time and still have a better life than 95% of the rest of the people on the planet. i.e she's still a billionaire after all.

Disgusting stuff this world, when so few have so much.

Last edited by blue; 03-05-2004 at 06:11 PM.
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Kinda funny. All major businessmen engage in some kind of insider trading. Most aren't just obvious enough to get caught. She was damn stupid.

In a delicious twist of irony the drug they thought was going to get turned down has since been approved.
Martha Stewart was convicted for no offenses committed prior to the start of the Federal investigation. Actually, she wasn't even _charged_ with any such offenses. The case was a travesty, a way for a Federal prosecutor to make a name for himself by getting Martha.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If they successfully nailed some bigshot businessman, that nobody heard of, it wouldn't appease the commoners.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I wonder what type of frilly, country-ish, non-functional BS will be decorating her cell.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:14 AM   #7
jaguar
whig

DoJ have been actually fucking a lot of major businessmen in the last year, something likes 5 times as many as usual. From tyco to Enron they're not pulling any punches.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:29 AM   #8
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Quote:
DoJ have been actually fucking a lot of major businessmen in the last year, something likes 5 times as many as usual. From tyco to Enron they're not pulling any punches.

Hundreds of people lost their retirement when Enron collapsed. So the top execs will have to sell the time share condo to help pay for their defense. The rank and file are trying to make ends meet. (Hugh Hefner did help out the more robust ones with a special Girls of Enron issue.)

Martha tried to make her empire even richer to buy more doilies.

They say that justice was served.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Well, she didn't kill anyone, and she only *really* fucked herself over, so maybe a few months behind bars will suffice.

High five to Jag for this statement:
"All major businessmen engage in some kind of insider trading. Most aren't just obvious enough to get caught."

Precisely.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Even funnier is the fact that if she'd 'fessed up, it would have cost something around $50k, which is pocket change for her. Now she has hosed her entire existence.

Suitable punishment for the sin of arrogance? You decide! I vote yes, though.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

She still has an appeal available and no matter what happens her fans will continue to buy her stuff.

She MIGHT do a little time on a farm, but all she's really losing is a little pocket change.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
russotto
Professor

What she should have done is not 'fess up, but 'clam up'. Can't be dinged for making false statements to investigators if you won't talk to them.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote