The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Women Are Not Equal

Quote:
A post is making rounds on social media, in response to the Women's March on Saturday, January 21, 2017. It starts with "I am not a disgrace to women because I don't support the women's march. I do not feel I am a second class citizen because I am a woman."
This is Dina Leygerman responding here.

Quote:
Say thank you. Say thank you to the women who gave you a voice. Say thank you
to the women who were arrested and imprisoned and beaten and gassed for you to have a voice. Say thank you to the women who refused to back down, to the women who fought tirelessly to give you a voice. Say thank you to the women who put their lives on hold, who lucky for you, did not have better things to do than to march and protest and rally for your voice. So you don't feel like a second class citizen. So you get to feel equal.
She describes the many ways women are second class citizens then lists some women to thank.

Quote:
Thank Susan B. Anthony and Alice Paul for your right to vote.

Thank Elizabeth Stanton for your right to work.

Thank Maud Wood Park for your prenatal care and your identity outside of your husband.

Thank Rose Schneiderman for your humane working conditions.

Thank Eleanor Roosevelt and Molly Dewson for your ability to work in politics and affect policy.

Thank Margaret Sanger for your legal birth control.

Thank Carol Downer for your reproductive healthcare rights.

Thank Margaret Fuller for your equal education.

Thank Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Shannon Turner, Gloria Steinem, Zelda Kingoff Nordlinger, Rosa Parks, Angela Davis, Malika Saada Saar, Wagatwe Wanjuki, Ida B. Wells, Malala Yousafzai. Thank your mother, your grandmother, your great-grandmother who did not have half of the rights you have now.
I think you ladies should read the whole article.
You men who are just brushing this off, reading the article will make you feel superior, more macho and less pussy whipped.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
I am not a "disgrace to women" because I don't support the women's march. I do not feel I am a "second class citizen" because I am a woman. I do not feel my voice is "not heard" because I am a woman. I do not feel I am not provided opportunities in this life or in America because I am a woman. I do not feel that I "don't have control of my body or choices" because I am a woman. I do not feel like I am " not respected or undermined" because I am a woman.
I AM a woman.
I can make my own choices.
I can speak and be heard.
I can VOTE.
I can work if I want.
I control my body.
I can defend myself.
I can defend my family.
There is nothing stopping me to do anything in this world but MYSELF.
I do not blame my circumstances or problems on anything other than my own choices or even that sometimes in life, we don't always get what we want. I take responsibility for myself.
I am a mother, a daughter, a wife, a sister, a friend. I am not held back in life but only by the walls I choose to not go over which is a personal choice.
Quit blaming.
Take responsibility.
If you want to speak, do so. But do not expect for me, a woman, to take you seriously wearing a pink va-jay-jay hat on your head and screaming profanities and bashing men.
If you have beliefs, and speak to me in a kind matter, I will listen. But do not expect for me to change my beliefs to suit yours. Respect goes both ways.
If you want to impress me, especially in regards to women, then speak on the real injustices and tragedies that affect women in foreign countries that do not that the opportunity or means to have their voices heard.
Saudi Arabia, women can't drive, no rights and must always be covered.
China and India, infantcide of baby girls.
Afghanistan, unequal education rights.
Democratic Republic of Congo, where rapes are brutal and women are left to die, or HIV infected and left to care for children alone.
Mali, where women can not escape the torture of genital mutilation.
Pakistan, in tribal areas where women are gang raped to pay for men's crime.
Guatemala, the impoverished female underclass of Guatemala faces domestic violence, rape and the second-highest rate of HIV/AIDS after sub-Saharan Africa. An epidemic of gruesome unsolved murders has left hundreds of women dead, some of their bodies left with hate messages.
And that's just a few examples.
So when women get together in AMERICA and whine they don't have equal rights and march in their clean clothes, after eating a hearty breakfast, and it's like a vacation away that they have paid for to get there...
This WOMAN does not support it. ~ Brandi Atkinson
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As with any serious protest, in this case the women's march, there will be the very small minority with "pink va-jay-jay hat on your head and screaming profanities and bashing men." I'd guess less than 5% out of multi-millions, but they will get the attention of the media. That doesn't make the cause any less just.

The same with any protest marches, there will always be a tiny minority damaging property and getting all the attention.

So she doesn't think American women should progress until the rest of the word catches up? American women shouldn't lead by example?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Mountain Mule
Slacker

Newbie here, but good grief what a polemic! You guys seem interesting at least. I've been checking out the Image of the Day for a while now and finally decided to officially sign up. Never been much good at lurking anyhow.
Mountain Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Pamela
Deplorable

Welcome! We are an eclectic bunch and 'interesting' is one of the least of the things we are. We are so much more!

Make yourself comfortable, pull up a chair, Jim used to administer the quiz, but I think that has been waived.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
**snip** Jim used to administer the quiz, but I think that has been waived.
shit. there's a pop quiz?

the dog ate it!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mule View Post
Newbie here, but good grief what a polemic!
Polemic, a strong verbal or written attack on someone or something.
I'm confused by your statement... which ain't hard
Are you referring to one of the quoted articles or one of the posts, all, none of the above?

We're an opinionate bunch, and willing to "share" our opinions. But it's not personal, "attacks" aren't directed at the person (except in a few cases cough tw cough), but to make my point, and shout down the dumb bastard who doesn't agree with me.

Seriously though, stick around and jump it anytime you like, I'm sure you have things to contribute.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Classic, of course you are right to quote Brandi's opinion in full. There are, indeed, many countries where women are worse off, far worse off than they are in the States. But not one of those points negates what Dina Leygerman says.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
... But not one of those points negates what Dina Leygerman says.
I'm not buying that negation was the purpose of Brandi Atkinson's post.

It does attenuate the self aggrandizement of women vying for importance by associating themselves with pioneers of equality rather than sedulous hard work. In the quoted response, Dina Leygerman doesn't mention any men to be thankful to. Of course, she's a woman and men aren't the association of opportunity. It's almost as though Brandi Atkinson's post was meant to bring out the superficiality of some in the movement. That can be healthy for any grass roots effort.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

There's no reason to trivialize the March or the Movement, which she totally does. The Women's March, which had nearly a whole world's participation, was about much more than just the women who participated. It keeps the discussion going about preserving womens rights as well as all basic human rights The womens March page explains it best.

And it is definitely a protest against Trump.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
sexobon

Until protests turn into votes, it's marginalized.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Marginalized by some, but it also communicates to others that their experiences and feelings, which have been suppressed by people saying, "that's normal", "that's life", and "that the way the world works", are valid.
It lets them know that millions of others feel the same way, they are not alone.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
sexobon

Rattling their sabers, preaching to the choir. They didn't convince one single person who didn't vote in the last Presidential election to go out and vote in consonance with their cause. Couldn't have been very important.

(bet you had to think about that one)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

You can't know that yet.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But the preaching to the choir was just the performance. The message to the rest is conveyed by the media, and social media, on both sides of the issue.
What about the 40% who didn't vote, would they if this issue was a referendum on the ballot? Is this "the" issue which would spur them in action?