The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #106
Cloud

I'm not condoning it, but after years of violence and starvation, I do understand there are few options left to them. The only way (okay, maybe not the only way, but probably the best way) to stop it is to make more legitimate pursuits available and sustainable.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #107
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I'm not condoning it, but after years of violence and starvation, I do understand there are few options left to them. The only way (okay, maybe not the only way, but probably the best way) to stop it is to make more legitimate pursuits available and sustainable.
I agree, as long at the US is not involved in that.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #108
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
What kind of acts would you resort to if your children are starving? I'd resort to a hell of a lot.
What makes you think these pirates have children?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #109
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What makes you think these pirates have children?
From some of the pictures I've seen, some of the pirates ARE children.

I agree Merc, that they should consider hiring private security and having machine guns on board. It is not up to the US Navy to act here. Those are private companies, it should be their expense.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #110
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This is going to get uglier. The pirates will begin killing hostages...not only those they now have, but in all likelihood the crews of ships they board.

The pirates themselves have opened the door for any and all retaliation by the nature of their acts of piracy. Sad though it will be when they do start indiscriminately killing their hostages and the ship crews, it will then make it possible for the military forces of the world to simply blast these fuckers off the face of the planet, no questions asked.

Once those who take vessels end up dead *and* empty handed, piracy will no longer be quite so attractive.

Like I said, it is sad, but violent people only understand superior force. Sanity, rationality and anything other than violence is taken as a weakness to be exploited. When we talk about how underprivileged they are, we are being humane, but those who are engaged in wanton antisocial and lawless behaviors such as piracy would gladly take our money and our lives if we gave them a sliver of a chance.

I hold my sympathies back for those who aren't trying to steal and kill their ways out of their plights. If some underprivileged thug comes and steals my shit and threatens my family, my response is *not* going to be to go donate to the Save the Thugs fund.

Last edited by Elspode; 04-12-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #111
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmm, are the shippers, or more accurately their insurance companies, paying ransom to get back their crews or their ships. It's easy to say both, but I wonder if they would still pay with the crew dead?

I think so... business is business.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #112
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
From some of the pictures I've seen, some of the pirates ARE children.
That changes nothing.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #113
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
That changes nothing.
I didn't say it did. And I agreed with you.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #114
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Hmmm, are the shippers, or more accurately their insurance companies, paying ransom to get back their crews or their ships. It's easy to say both, but I wonder if they would still pay with the crew dead?

I think so... business is business.
There was a captain of a ship that had been attacked before on (I believe it was) CNN. He said (I'm paraphrasing) they didn't want to have armed guards on board because they felt it would escalate the situation (and also it is illegal in some countries), and it was more beneficial to just pay the money. So I guess in a sense he was saying paying the money was thought of as a cost of doing business in that part of the world.

Why would they pay if the crew/hostages are dead? If they start killing hostages, then I would think most countries would fight back.

The problem, apparently, is Somalia is ungovernable. In addition, a lot of this money is going to al qaeda. It is an international problem, and there needs to be an international solution.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #115
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
So I guess in a sense he was saying paying the money was thought of as a cost of doing business in that part of the world.
It's seen that way by the pirates as well, which can lead to a weird sense of entitlement, like with corrupt officials and bribery.
Quote:
Why would they pay if the crew/hostages are dead? If they start killing hostages, then I would think most countries would fight back.
And vice versa. I don't think we did anything wrong in this case, but there is good reason to avoid escalation when possible.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #116
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

U.S. Military Considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases
Quote:
April 13 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. military is considering attacks on pirate bases on land and aid for the Somali people to help stem ship hijackings off Africa’s east coast, defense officials said.

The military also is drawing up proposals to aid the fledgling Somalia government to train security forces and develop its own coast guard, said the officials, who requested anonymity. The plans will be presented to the Obama administration as it considers a coordinated U.S. government and international response to piracy, the officials said.

The effort follows the freeing yesterday of Richard Phillips, a U.S. cargo ship captain held hostage since April 8 by Somali pirates. Security analysts said making shipping lanes safe would require disrupting the pirates’ support network on land.

“There really isn’t a silver-bullet solution other than going into Somalia and rooting out the bases” of the pirates, said James Carafano, senior research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, a Washington-based group.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #117
sugarpop
Professor

GREAT. So we are going to have to pay for THIS now too? jezzus. How many countries are we going to spend money on in order to train security forces for them? Does anyone else have the sense that this will eventually come back and bite us on the ass?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #118
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

We are now a nation of apologists. I fully expect this situation which IS NOT OUR FAULT to be our fault is some effed up convoluted way. THEY chose to hijack our ship, we defended ourselves. Eff them and the dingy they came in on.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #119
TheMercenary

BOHICAG
Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #120
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

"...Here It Comes Again -- George?"

Actually, America is the one country best situated to do anything at all about making legitimate activities sustainable once again, Merc, and what's more, we're well situated to make piracy nonsurvivable and harrow all the pirate base towns.

Which is what's needed. Eliminate the troublemakers, hire any survivors to fix things back up. In the Somalis' situation, which is very bad, the one tool that will answer is a two-by-four, both applied to the troublemakers' skulls, and used to frame windows in new houses to replace what's been blown flat.

The recent coup by the SEAL shooters is a great success of the "big dick" approach that tw can't bring himself to properly spell, and which is such an improvement over the emasculated counsel he usually proffers. Billions for cleanout, not another .01 Euro for ransoms. A pirate suddenly deprived of his head is a pirate suddenly improved. A good pirate is a pirate messily split in two, horizontal or vertical dealer's choice, and his boat left in a sinking condition.