The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
laebedahs
Abecedarian

Anime! - Which ones are you watching?

It's time for an anime thread! I didn't see one when trolling these forums looking for things to do, so decided I'd start one. I prefer to watch the original anime that has Japanese audio with english subtitles. One day I hope to learn Japanese, though.

I'm currently watching Naruto -- on episode 121 right now -- waiting for the next episode of Bleach to <strike>come out</strike> download (the newest episode, episode 63, is a one-hour special).

In the past, good ones I've watched are: Hyperpolice, Bannou Bunka Neko-Musume DASH! (All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH!), Flame of Recca, Ronin Warriors (haven't seen that show in about 10 years), Onegai Sensei (Please Teacher), Onegai Twins (Please Twins), and Star Ocean. Some ones I wasn't very pleased with were The Twelve Kingdoms, Comic Party Revolution (didn't give that one much of a chance though)... and I think that's it.

So sound off, I just know there has to be at least one person here who loves anime besides me.
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Princess Mononoke

Akira

Spirited Away

All favorites.

Plus Speed Racer.

Yes, yes, HM, Grave of the Fireflies. Incredibly sad movie, thanks for the tip a while back. Very worthwhile, did I mention how tragically sad the movie is? Get a box of tissues and watch the movie.

Edit:

Kiki's Delivery Service and ---grr interrupted and brainlocked...oh well. latermaybe

reedited. still learning to spell and profread

Last edited by BigV; 01-12-2006 at 12:53 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Grave of the Fireflies

Lots of Miyazaki

Soft spot for Ranma 1/2, though I wouldn't really say it's good.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have a couple tapes of Ranma 1/2 (tapes 1 and 2, as it happens) that I got in a bargain closeout bin years ago.

Lately I have been experiencing the joys of Comcast OnDemand service which has several anime channels. I am not very up on anime at all, so I have not selected for quality, but rather based on the name of the programs.

OnDemand adds an episode usually about once every two weeks, and also adds additional programs quite regularly, but I only have so much viewing time available.

I have gotten hooked on two for sure, and one sort of.

My for sures are:

Witchhunter Robin (I've seen episodes 1-5)

and

Paranoia Agent (Episodes 1-6)

I have also started watching Inuyasha. I caught episodes a time or two on Adult Swim and decided it looked pretty neat. They just started those, so I've seen episodes 1-3, so I have some more continuity regarding the story.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Macross
Macross Plus
Macross II
Lupin
Puppet Princess
Vampire Princess Miyu
Akira
Fist of The North Star
Ghost in The Shell
Ghost in The Shell: Standalone Complex
the many incarnations of Dragonball
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ranma 1/2
Speed Racer

Many unnamed others at various cons over the years.

I've been dabbling for a few quite a while now.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Anything Lupin III rules everything else. Anyone who hasn't seen Castle of Cagliostro really really needs to do so.

Inuyasha gets sneered at by hardcore animu types, but it's not all that bad at all in actuality. It's the Wonder Bread of anime, but hey, sometimes you just want to poke your frontal lobes out and enjoy a feel-good comedy/romance.

Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are also good choices for anime newcomers. The former is a lighthearted steampunk romp that sneaks an actual pathos-driven story in halfway through, the latter is essentially a very-well-done Lupin-knockoffs-in-space series, and both are on Adult Swim seemingly endlessly.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I tried to do Naruto -- hey, I have a bit of an interest in the plot.

...but after I got past episode 19, which was wonderful, the whole thing went downhill. Nothing happened and some of the basic plot sequences took 5, 10, even 20 or more episodes to resolve. I couldn't stand that the first 5 minutes of most episodes was a recap, complete with recycled animation, of the one just before it. It just took too much time for so little in return.

Around episode 60, I started fast-forwarding past large chunks of staring contests, still frames, and frozen tense moments that were simply there to buffer the episode time with as little animation funding as possible. I finally gave up somewhere around episode 108 or so. That aside, the three episode sequence with the bridge is still one of my favorites of all time of any anime and because of it I'm sad that Cartoon Network imported it and dubbed it to destruction. It really is their kind of show, though -- an impossibly large number of episodes to buy, cheap, and very popular. They'll never purchase anything beyond episode 35 and will just loop that set, repeatedly, like they did for Inu Yasha.

Enjoying Phantom Memory Kurau at the moment, but little else is really drawing my attenton for some reason. I crave something like Cowboy Bebop (damn, I loved the music!), again, or anything that doesn't follow one of the basic anime patterns:
  • The hilarious adventures of a shy, socially inept boy trapped with lots of aggressive, attractive girls of various ages.
  • Young teen with hidden, magical powers must save the world/stop impending doom, but must hide their secret from all but one or two of their closest friends.
  • Student goes to cram school and amusing events happen because they have little money.
  • Giant robots/spaceships and thousands upon thousands of missiles.
  • Any mixing or slight variation of the above.

Among my favorites: FlCl, Haibane Renmei, Lain. Suggestions are welcome -- I miss anime!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have literally 120+ anime DVDs. It's pretty much the only kind of DVD we ever buy.

Laebedahs, if you liked Onegai Sensei, you should try "Martian Successor Nadesico." It's more sci-fi, but the same basic character types.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I loved Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away. I wish I had more time to cultivate my interest in anime because I really enjoy it.

I lean towards the dark/atmospheric stuff. I bought the 4 DVD set of Soul Taker several years ago and thought it was fairly decent.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

nerds
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

cock
Old 01-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

pickle chugger
Old 01-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

cock smoking ass blaster
Old 01-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ah yes, the new insult association thread. the post count will be at 300 by monday night.

sperm burper
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
ashke
Don't look at me!

I've been discovering Ghost in the Shell (SAC) & 2nd Gig, Cowboy Bebop and Witch Hunter Robin lately. Great stuff.

Been watching BLEACH, Mai Otome and Black Cat for the more current anime.
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amv, anime