The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-27-2003, 03:54 PM   #46
perth
Strong Silent Type

this ones a fuckin doozy. im provoked to near fits of savage rage when i see this:

customer calls in with a problem. ANY FUCKING PROBLEM you can imagine. my coworkers response:

"run defrag and scandisk and call us back if the problem persists"

i wish i could put into text the noise my blackened soul makes when i see this.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:25 PM   #47
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Hehe, I used to be like that then I discovered that it solves absolutly nothing except for maybe an occasional slow program launch. I've discovered it's a great thing to stall people who need help with Windows ME or 98 and I'm not going to have time in the next few days as usually they forget to shut down all processes and the thing never finishes. It's also amazing the amount of people who actually swear their computer is much faster after defrag it for them.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:02 PM   #48
Stress Puppy
Elite Elitist

Not even sure if I should start, 'cause I hate my job a lot. This could get rambly, feel free to skip how much ever you please.

First off, I'm a computer guy. However, I work in a goddamn cafe, 'cause I got the job to make it through Tech school, and haven't been able to find a 'real' job yet. I just got turned down for my last, last ditch effort, and I'm now applying for a..... sales job. Anyway. Here goes.

People who make stupid faces when looking at the menu.

People who, when I ask if they want their receipt, say something like, "No, you can keep it."

People who give coupons after I've finished ringing the order up, so I have to cancel the transaction and start all over. Fuck I hate that.

People who don't decide what they want until they've gone through the line, and proceed to hold up the line for 10 minutes while making stupid faces at the menu board, then decide they want 'Pepsi please' (We sell Coke.)

People who ask me, "Do you sell coffee here?" (It's a frigging CAFE!)

People who pick up my "Recycling only" sign, move it aside, then proceed to throw non-recyclable things into my recycling bin.

People who don't tip. Fucking bastards. (As a side, if you don't tip waiters/waitresses/barristas/just about anyone doing you a service.... I probably hate you.)

Co-workers who've been there for more than a month and -still- don't know how to do their jobs.

People who can't bother to be to work on time. I'm a lazy, lazy bastard, and I'm at work early every day.

People who can't pronounce things properly, even though I've corrected them before and it's the only way to logically pronounce it.

People who change their orders.

People who try to tell me that I'm making something wrong.

People who ask for extras in their drinks after they've been rung up.

People who pay for everything in change.

People who pay with huge bills first thing in the morning. (I won't even accept 50's and laugh if they try a 100$)

People who act like their doing me a favour by coming to my job and being assholes.

Assholes.

People that are twice the age of my female coworkers, and try to flirt with them.

People.

My boss' inability to keep the most basic supplies in stock, even though she's been doing this for over 3 months now.

My boss.

Name tags.

Strangers who call me by my name tag. I fucking hate that.

People who desparately want to be 'regulars', but are too stupid/anal/assholish/etc to ever be accepted.

When people don't know what something is, order it without asking me what it is, and then proceed to try to make me make something else because they hate it.

People who use Starbucks' terms at the Border's Cafe.

The fact that the people of this 'city' have nothing better to do on a friday night than to come to a book store's cafe and hang out.

People who hang out at the cafe for longer than my shift.

Yeah. I'm done now. I could go on, but it's getting boring, I'm sure.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:25 PM   #49
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sales may not be the ideal field for you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:07 AM   #50
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Stress Puppy, are you sure you don't work in a small cafe in the northeastern most corner of Montana?
Old 03-02-2003, 01:38 AM   #51
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I am the office manager for a moderately large roofing company here in KC ($5 Million gross sales last year, 60 employees at our location - we are a branch office). As we really only have an office staff of two, I wear a lot of hats, including HR, EEO, OSHA, AP, AR, Payroll, construction submittals, warranties, communications, computers, purchasing and - my personal fave, workman's compensation.

Roofers are a different breed...unfortunately, they verge on being a different *inbreed*. As such, roofers, as employees, present us with absolutely all the possible problems you could have with an employee. They are almost universally drinkers, they more often than not use drugs, they have revoked drivers licenses or so many violations that they cannot operate a company vehicle according to the insurer. They are frequently parolees with POs calling everyday to make sure they are actually at work, they fake or overstate injuries in order to profit via compensatory insurance. They call and tell you they have to go to court the way other people would tell you they had to stay home with a sick kid (and they see nothing unusual in the fact that they spend lots of time in court), theft of tools and materials is rampant (most roofers put on side jobs on their days off, despite their union contract which forbids it). If they slack off or do shoddy work and you fire them, it is not at all unusual to be threatened for your trouble, and fighting on the job between roofers is fairly common as well. 25% or so, on average, will have garnishments to be dealt with, and I field about six or seven calls from collection agencies per day (and they want to argue with me because I won't take a message for them). Their wives/girlfriends call me frequently, either to check up and make sure they came to work in the first place or to tell me that they are hooked on drugs and I should have them tested. Few, if any, can spell any word over four letters, and the only math they know is that they were a day short on their check. We have large numbers of Hispanics, who work really, really hard, and generally shame the American roofers alongside whom they toil, but I don't speak Spanish, and communication can be difficult. And don't get me started on illegal aliens and fake ID's.

Why am I telling you all this? Who the hell knows. Just needed to vent, and this seems to be a thread that doesn't end. I really like my job in general, it is the people I have to deal with that make me want to spit nails.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:31 AM   #52
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Stress Puppy, I'm afraid to ask what "city" you're referring to... I can't decide whether I ought to avoid your place of employment, or come visit and see you in action!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #53
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

If his journal is accurate, he's in PA, between York and Baltimore.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #54
Griff
still says videotape

My er workplace is becoming unmanagable because of the geese. I'm gonna go postal and their will be no consequences bwaha!
Old 03-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #55
wolf
lobber of scimitars

except perhaps for the consequence of having plenty of roast goose in the coming months?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #56
CodeBlue40
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Where we work, people are known for bringing in dishes or take-out for meetings, parties, etc. Well, there was this cheap bastard who would always bring in either drinks or paper products. (Napkins, plates, etc.)

Now, I don't mind someone bringing in pre-packaged food. That's fine. Not everyone has the time or ability to cook. But if there are plates, napkins, etc that we can pull from the break room, as well as sodas, there's no need for someone else to bring those things in. Is it too much to ask that the guy pick up, I dunno...a box of wings, or more French onion dip.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #57
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I knew someone who would regularly bring a can of chickpeas to every company function.

Nothing else. Just the chickpeas.

Not surprisingly, they didn't get opened or eaten (he brought the chickpeas, not a can opener, not a salad to put them on, not some garlic and olive oil to make hummus out of them. Just chickpeas.)

At the end of the event, he'd take the chickpeas back. I think he kept them in the office in the event a party might break out at a random moment and he'd need to bring 'something'.

And, as you might expect, he was the king of taking home the leftovers.

Bastard.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:17 PM   #58
CodeBlue40
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Exactly. That kind of thing kills me. And this guy would be the main one guarding our food if someone else came over. It's like, "Yeah slick, I saw them eyeing your napkins. You might want to get over there, you know away from my desk."

And that's another thing. I don't mind sharing, but I think it would be great if everyone on our team had a chance to pick up something first. At least, before the rest of our building starts coming over and taking liberties. I didn't make enough dirty rice or bring enough chicken for the entire site. All those other shits can wait for the leftovers as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 PM   #59
warch
lurkin old school

Ah, now theres some beauty in the chickpea thing...
You could bring a can opener and a big spoon and just chow them right out of the can, then hand back the empty tin. And say "MAN! I be wanting a wack of garbanzos" Then a big sloppy kiss on the forehead.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #60
Griff
still says videotape

Don't forget to swing by his cubical later on in the day. "An vacant house is better than a bad tenant."