The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2/27/2003: Nigerian confusion

What the...? This was shot in late January; in Lagos, Nigeria, traffic is entirely stopped while people look at a UFO.

The official caption has it as "Unidentified Flashing Object" - they say it's some mysterious flashing thing that appears, mysteriously, at traffic intersections around the city.

And, seriously, that's all the information given. I tried to get more details and all I learned is that traffic like this is routine in Nigeria. Apparently they have terrible gridlock problems, such that if there is a problem somewhere the entire city winds up locked.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why are all of their vehicles yellow?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

I wonder if the UFO brought the paranormal snake?

Paranormal Snake Kills 7 In Nigeria

[Original headline: Mystery snake kills seven women]

Lagos, Nigeria: [Reuters] A single snake has been blamed for the deaths of at least seven women in a village near the northern Nigerian city of Kano, prompting residents to ask snake-charmers for help in a climate of superstition and fear.
The villagers of Rijiyar Zaki said the victims died last week after attacks by the snake, which residents said can only be seen by women and disappears immediately after striking, The Independent Vanguard newspaper reported on Friday.

Aside from the seven already killed, 19 other women are being treated by traditional snake charmers, residents said, adding that all the mystery snake's victims were all housewives. Local officials were not immediately available for comment.

"The snake charmers are showing me indications that it is the same snake that terrorised Jangusa, a neighbouring village," the newspaper quoted a prominent villager as saying. "We are consulting them (charmers) on how best to get rid of that snake before it finishes our womenfolk."

Villagers fear the snake attacks were caused by a some sort of curse placed on the village. A snake charmer in the village said his fellow charmers were doing everything possible to appease the mystery snake.

Rijiyar Zaki is the village where the late Muhammadu Maitatsine, the leader of an Islamic fundamentalist group that terrorised cities in northern Nigeria in the 1980s, fled to after the army forced the group out of Kano. Local officials told the newspaper that snake antidotes had been supplied to the three clinics in the area to complement the efforts of the traditional charmers.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 12:00 PM   #4
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Re: 2/27/2003: Nigerian confusion

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
[B"Unidentified Flashing Object" - they say it's some mysterious flashing thing that appears, mysteriously, at traffic intersections around the city.[/b]
Yeah, they have those occasionally in East and West Baltimore too -- when people pay any attention to 'em, it really snarls up traffic. I believe they're called traffic signals. You're driving along, and all of a sudden, you have to stop! Man, I hate when that happens!
Old 02-27-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Ooooh I know I'm gonna deserve whatever I get for this..but I just hafta....

Maybe they like yellow "Car-nations"

Dagney

Perfecting the Duck and run

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Owie.

(to paraphrase something I said to Russotto in the wee hours of last night ... If I aim for your center of mass and you duck, that will put you in line for a good head shot ...)

Someday science will discover a cure for the pun. I am, however, a realist and understand that this will likely be after the cure for AIDS and the cure for cancer.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-27-2003, 01:28 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Looks like we got us a convoy.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

To speculate on my own question:

Many of the yellow vehicles appear to be multi-passenger conveyances. If these are part of a mass transit system that leads to another quandry ... mass transit, ride sharing, and carpooling are supposed to reduce congestion, but here appears to be the cause of it ...

My head hurts.

Old 02-27-2003, 02:40 PM   #9
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Maybe they're all waiting for me to send them my personal bank info so they can send me the $10M they promised upon dutiful receipt.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
linknoid
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
To speculate on my own question:

Many of the yellow vehicles appear to be multi-passenger conveyances. If these are part of a mass transit system that leads to another quandry ... mass transit, ride sharing, and carpooling are supposed to reduce congestion, but here appears to be the cause of it ...

My head hurts.
Actually, look closely. All the yellow vehicles are on the right side of the picture (in other words, the left lanes). Maybe it's like we have carpool lanes, they have public transportation lanes. All the cars on the left side of the picture appear to be the normal variety you would expect.
linknoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:46 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was thinking maybe they were taxis.

A good possibility though, linknoid. Nigerians drive British-style (on the left side), and most bus lanes are the outer lanes on highways.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:05 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by linknoid
Maybe it's like we have carpool lanes, they have public transportation lanes. All the cars on the left side of the picture appear to be the normal variety you would expect.
I had actually noticed that, but was intentionally ignoring it for humorous effect.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM   #13
Nothing But Net
Professor

They export all their <b>Flubber</b><sub>TM</sub>, therefore they are solely dependent on land based transportastion.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:33 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

I think its just a temporary flea market. You drive until you can't, then set up shop. Nobody has to pay property tax or a user fee. Its the perfect system.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

That sounds like a neat idea. They should block off Roosevelt Blvd. one day, and just let sellers drive along until they can't drive anymore. Then they can set up shop. A 15-mile long flea market...how cool is that?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote