The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-09-2001, 08:40 PM   #1
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

When Cable Providers Go Wrong

Two months ago, Cox Cable Services announced that they were bumping up their monthly internet access rate by $10 a month (or $120/yr). At this time, (Plot Thickens) Cox suggested that their subscribers could defray the $10/month charge by buying the cable modem equipment instead of renting from Cox ($180 at the time via pricewatch). I declined to delay that purchase so I'm paying the higher rate ($55/month).

Just last week, I got a flyer in the mail from Cox telling me that my internet rate would go up another $10 a month after 01.01.2002 if I didn't subscribe to their television service. (Their 'Preferred-Pricing' racket) I think $65/month ($780/yr) is too much to pay for internet access that varied wildly in speed. Looks like dialup for me. (DSL is not an option) I think it was fairly calculating (sneaky) that Cox would make another rate increase after getting a good chunk of their base to invest a pretty-penny in equipment that is worthless without Cox's service. Cox is the only HS internet provider in the area.

Anything similar happining to you all?

Comments...commiserations..? Tips?

Anyone have any luck setting up cooperative neightborhood nets with internet access?
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 08:52 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cox is evil...I believe they handle cable in Fairfax County, VA. Last year, they got into a battle with Fox over carrying new Fox channels on their cable system. Cox wound up pulling the plug on Fox channels for like 2 weeks. So, no Fox 5 (the local affiliate in Washington, DC). And this happened during football season, with the Redskins being shown on Fox just about every week. And Fox 5 is apparently hard to pick up with a standard antenna. Man, were people pissed!

I'm assuming that Cox is the only game in your town for cable access, unless you have an upstart, like RCN/Star Power. If you have to go with dialup, you may wish to check out Earthlink or your local phone company (depending on where you live).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:57 PM   #3
Scopulus Argentarius

Cox is the only Game in Town

Unfortunately, DSL from any provider (that would be ONLY BellSouth) or any re-seller (most of those guys have gone belly-up) is out of the question due to the length of copper run from my house to the closest exchange. That leaves dialup or stupidly wasteful ISDN.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:41 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

*translates 55 a month*
110 a MONTH
fawk - even wiht earing more relatively thats alot (50sih UScent for AU$1

2 companies here, 2 options. FOr a long itme it was 1 option. Its a tough choice now

Option 1: $70ish a month, 3gb max a month, 150kpsmaxish transfer

Option2: Bandwidth limit is 10x the user average (ALOT), $60sih a month, transfers up to 600 often

Not a hard one. Hopefully getting number 2 soonish. As a general rule all broardband suppliers anywere seem to be absolute bastards with a tendancy to go bust often.
Old 11-10-2001, 12:46 PM   #5
dave

Yes, those fucking pieces of shit handle cable here in Fairfax.

It's worthy to note that Cox certainly got their fucking name right - just spelled it wrong.

That's why I'm on DSL and we have DirecTV instead of that fucking shitty ass piece of shit cable.

Fucking Cox.
Old 11-10-2001, 02:09 PM   #6
Scopulus Argentarius

Cox...

I guess that means that the whole company is comprised of 'Cox-Suckers'????
Old 11-10-2001, 03:11 PM   #7
dave

Re: Cox...

Quote:
Originally posted by Scopulus Argentarius
I guess that means that the whole company is comprised of 'Cox-Suckers'????
No.

Cox-uckers.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:54 PM   #8
Scopulus Argentarius

You Say Tomatoe I say Tomato

Spelling aside, their pricing and marketing earns them the title.

I won't even get intot he time when a tech had to come over to my house (I was n't there to supervise him) and replaced a malfunctioning cable modem. He pooched my settings. I do the dual boot thing with linux and had to re-figure out the internet settings....