Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #136
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post

OH Snap to that bitch!
You just called me a bitch?

You really are a piece of work, aren't you?

You are a prime example of why I despise Republicans. Utterly incapable of an adult conversation on any topic. And if they don't like what you say, they resort to nasty, ugly rhetoric against their opponent. Your mother must be so proud.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #137
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday View Post
I count three logical fallacies, Mercenary.

Strawman argument
Appeal to ridicule
demanding proof of a negative.

But speaking from experience, the Muslim Brotherhood is no different than the Tea Party in America. Very loud, very obnoxious, and in the final analysis, not a very big deal.
Just three?

Mercenary evidently does not have a problem with ludicrous and inflammatory claims that the Obama administration has been infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood because he appointed the two Muslims to high policy positions in the Dept of Homeland Security.

He evidently doesnt have a problem with his extremist anti-Muslims sources smearing those two individuals either and suggesting that they have to prove their innocence.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #138
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
You just called me a bitch?

You really are a piece of work, aren't you?

You are a prime example of why I despise Republicans. Utterly incapable of an adult conversation on any topic. And if they don't like what you say, they resort to nasty, ugly rhetoric against their opponent. Your mother must be so proud.
You are silly. First, I am not a Republickin, you God Damm fool. You failed to convince me of your partisan bull shit, so you failed in a big way. No big deal. We just disagree. I could give a crap. None of your feelings or opinions change my lifestyle, my income, my relationships with other people, and really have no effect on me what so ever. No big deal. Just move on with your piece of shit life and quit blaming others for your crap life. Your opinions are insignificant. It really should not be life changing for you. Plenty of people in life disagree and you just happen to fall into the category of people who I think do not count.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 05-04-2011 at 06:23 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #139
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Just three?

Mercenary evidently does not have a problem with ludicrous claims that the Obama administration has been infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood because he appointed the two Muslims to high policy positions in the Dept of Homeland Security.

He evidently doesnt have a problem with his extremist anti-Muslims sources smearing those two individuals either and suggesting that they have to prove their innocence.
Wait. All Muslims are in the Muslim Brotherhood?
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #140
TheMercenary

Quote:
Just three?

Mercenary evidently does not have a problem with ludicrous and inflammatory claims that the Obama administration has been infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood because he appointed the two Muslims to high policy positions in the Dept of Homeland Security.

But yet you can not prove me wrong.... carry on.

I have nothing against Muslims and you cannot prove as such.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #141
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
You are silly. First, I am not a Republickin fool. You failed to convince me of your partisan bull shit, so you failed in a big way. No big deal. We just disagree. I could give a crap. None of your feelings or opinions change my lifestyle, my income, my relationships with other people, and really have no effect on me what so ever. No big deal. Just move on with your piece of shit life and quit blaming others for your crap life. Your opinions are insignificant. It really should not be life changing for you. Plenty of people in life disagree and you just happen to fall into the category of people who I think do not count.
:|
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #142
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday View Post
Wait. All Muslims are in the Muslim Brotherhood?
I certainly never said that!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #143
TheMercenary

Quote:
Just three?

And Fairly Unbalanced supports union activists who use violent messages to get support from the masses?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #144
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
I certainly never said that!
No, just that its ok to smear Muslims organizations in the US or Muslim citizens in the Obama administration with no documented proof and then require that they prove that they have no affiliation with the Muslim Brotherhood
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #145
TheMercenary

Quote:
No, just that its ok to smear Muslims organizations in the US or Muslim citizens in the Obama administration with no documented proof and then require that they prove that they have no affiliation with the Muslim Brotherhood
I provided the links. I will let each individual make their own decisions.

Where did I smear "Muslim citizens in the Obama administration"?

You really are reaching now. Please, I mean other than Eric "The Racist" Holder... but I don't recall him being a Muslim....
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #146
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I'm attempting to explain to you WHY that might be. Do you want to understand or do you just want to demonize your political opponents?
I think you answered your own question there m'dear :p

Gotta say Merc, your attitude in this discussion is a little shocking to me. I'm all for robust political debate, but this has descended into outright nastiness and it seems mainly to be coming from you and mainly to be unprovoked. Telling people to fuck off and calling them bitches is no way to debate politics. I'm genuinely surprised. You can be an aggressive SOB in discussions, but you don't usually stoop that low.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #147
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post

When we look at what the people need to know about what the government is up to, there are a number of different perspectives, and they certainly don't all have the same answer.

Surely anyone can understand that if a government has charged the military or some other agency to deal with a certain individual, it's not going to be helpful if everyone in the country knows what's going on, therefore the people find out after the fact and then wonder why they weren't consulted.

The purpose of having a democratically elected government is so that every person has the right to have a say in who represents their own personal views in government because we all understand that if every decision had to be made with the approval of every person, we'd never get anywhere.

So, you vote for your representative and trust that they're going to make the right decisions on your behalf. If you're not happy with it, you don't vote for them again.

If you don't vote, IMO, you shouldn't have a right to complain either way.
I primarily agree with this. We don't need to know everything there is to know about covert operations. There's a reason those operations are "covert" in the first place.

But when your government has lied the country into war, has committed acts of torture, has exposed the identity of a CIA agent to further their political agenda, among other unnecessary lies and deceptions, it should be no wonder that when those who are angered by that behavior from our government, learn of a "secret" group who are charged with sneaking into other countries and killing people at the sole bequest of the Vice-President (which is what was apparently known at the time), that we would characterize them as "assassins".

Under a different government that has no known history of lying us into a war, risking people's lives to cover their own political asses, or torturing prisoners, when we learn of a covert operation to take out the Most Wanted Man in the world, we're less likely to first presume the worst.

This is a concept that Mercenary doesn't seem to grasp. But the American public grasped it handily in 2008 and voted the Party of Lies & Torture out on their asses. As you correctly point out, that is our primary remedy under our current form of government.

I part ways slightly with you on the contention that if you don't vote you can't complain. My husband is a resident alien, and as such, he's not allowed to vote. But what our government does or doesn't do still affects him as much as it does you or me. The same could be said of teens who haven't reached voting age yet. I don't think they shouldn't be allowed to complain.
Quote:

For the record, I dont think the Tea Party is a racist organization.

But simply that your videos of the Muslim Student Association are highly selective.

Religious organizations on college campuses attract a wide range of people, from those who want social connections to those who want to promote a radical agenda.

A Catholic student suggesting that doctors who perform legal abortions should be tried as murderers does not reflect the mission of a Newman Center or Catholic Students Association any more than selected extremists Muslims reflect the mission of the Muslim Students Association.
It should tell you something that you have to literally draw this man a picture in order to try to get him to understand what should have been clear with your first post. It tells me all I need to know, that even with this further illustration of your well-made point, his response is to cuss at you, too.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #148
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I think you answered your own question there m'dear :p

Gotta say Merc, your attitude in this discussion is a little shocking to me. I'm all for robust political debate, but this has descended into outright nastiness and it seems mainly to be coming from you and mainly to be unprovoked. Telling people to fuck off and calling them bitches is no way to debate politics. I'm genuinely surprised. You can be an aggressive SOB in discussions, but you don't usually stoop that low.
First of all, I recognize that I will not in any way change any one of their opinions in any way, no matter what I post, how many links I post, or what my opinion is... That is a given. It has become self evident. None of these people respect me or my opinion, a given, I can accept that. Why should I give them any quarter given the disparaging remarks and comment they have made towards me? Fuck that. I have no time or inclination to give any degree of respect for people like that. Life is what it is. Some people we get along with. Some we do not. Some we agree to disagree. These scumbags are none of the above. There is no mutual ground. I am completely cool with that. It changes none of my Karma.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #149
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:

You are silly. First, I am not a Republickin, you God Damm fool. You failed to convince me of your partisan bull shit, so you failed in a big way. No big deal. We just disagree. I could give a crap. None of your feelings or opinions change my lifestyle, my income, my relationships with other people, and really have no effect on me what so ever. No big deal. Just move on with your piece of shit life and quit blaming others for your crap life. Your opinions are insignificant. It really should not be life changing for you. Plenty of people in life disagree and you just happen to fall into the category of people who I think do not count.
"Fuck off", "you bitch," and now "you G-d Damn fool," "your piece of shit life," and "your crap life."

And this is "no big deal, we just disagree" in your world?

You know nothing of my life, dude. What's the matter with you? Are you mentally ill or something? You certainly seem to have come unhinged.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #150
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:

These scumbags are none of the above. There is no mutual ground. I am completely cool with that. It changes none of my Karma.
Karma disagrees with you, too.

Tags
i love tw, i love ug, merc luvs jill, merry xmas from barry o, rip ug, teh president barry, u want me, who be barrio?