The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

The Right to Live

Deadly Religions

I've never understood these groups that don't believe in medical care. If an adult wants to let themselves die, more power to them; but I think that the children should not be subjected to this.

Y'know, god gave us doctors for a fucking REASON. God helps those who help themselves, right? Well, why don't these idiots help themselves to some medical care?

Reminds me of that joke about the guy caught in the flood...He's sitting on the roof of his house, with the water steadily rising; somebody comes by in a boat, and offers him a ride to safety. He says, "no, I have faith in god, he will save me." The water's up to his neck by the time a second boat comes by and offers help. Again, he refuses, saying that he has faith that god would save him. Eventually, he's treading water, and a helicopter shows up and tosses down a ladder. Once again, he refuses. He has faith that god will save him.

Well, he drowns.

He got to heaven, and asked god: "I had faith in you, Lord. Why didn't you save me?"

God replied: "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more do you want?"

I've noticed that when these people are convicted of child abuse or murder, that their sentences are overturned or they're given probation. If they weren't members of these religious-nut cults, would they still be given a pass?

I mean, freedom to practice your religion is one thing. When that freedom begins killing people, I think it's time to draw the line.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Death and Escape

U.S. death toll among infants and children: In 1998-APR, Dr. Seth Asser, a critical-care pediatrician at Methodist Children's Hospital in San Antonio, and Rita Swan, head of the advocacy group Children's Healthcare is a Legal Duty (CHILD) authored a paper in the professional journal Pediatrics. Asser studied 172 reported deaths of infants and children between 1975 and 1995. Deaths were found in 34 states among members of 23 religious groups. They belonged to families of Christian Scientist, Faith Tabernacle, Faith Assembly and several other religious groups that practice faith healing. He compared the cause of death with the expected survival rates if the children had received routine medical care. They found:
140 children would have had a 90% chance of surviving if they had been treated medically
18 children would have had a 50 to 90% chance of surviving
11 children would have benefited from medical care
3 would not have been helped from medical care

any of the conditions and diseases that killed the 172 children were "ordinary ailments seen and treated routinely" e.g. appendicitis, labor complications, dehydration, antibiotic-sensitive bacterial infections and vaccine-preventable disorders. They cited cases in which:
A 2 year old child choked on a piece of banana and died an hour later, while her parents frantically gathered other church members into a circle to pray.
Children with an infection who would have been saved with a single injection of penicillin.
Babies who would have lived if they received oxygen.
Five mothers died from relatively common and treatable complications during labor.
Several children died after long periods of terribly painful suffering. 5,6

The article concludes: "The children of members of faith-healing sects deserve the same protections under the law as other children have. We believe that the repeal of exemption laws is a necessary step toward assuring such protection...before hundreds more children suffer needlessly and die prematurely."

Legal information on faith healing

Interesting

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 06-06-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sidhe
Deadly Religions

I've never understood these groups that don't believe in medical care.
I reckon they dont like big pharma drugs........ If they found an alternative I am sure they would use it.... (MMS for example)

I might be wrong though......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote