The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #121
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Pirates 3 was better than Pirates 2. Long though.

That's just about the only thing I got out of bed, er . . . the house for this weekend. That, too, makes me happy.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #122
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Raw seafood is the most dangerous thing you can eat, next to live Grizzly bear.
Aw c'mon Bruce, that's not even close to true. Raw shellfish is pretty scary, but certainly no more so than a hamburger, alfalfa sprouts, deli meat, or a restaurant omlette. How about an all-you-can-eat chinese buffet?

(and both meals that SG listed have the same amount/type of raw food)
Old 05-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #123
Cloud

no, there was no intermission. weird.

I really like the way they build up the mythical pirate culture and ethos--a mishmash of things and yet, very clever. Very Disney.

And speaking of which--I like that these movies were spawned by a theme park attraction. The attraction has now been updated to coincide with the movies, so it's come full circle!

Arrgh! (Doesn't Geoffrey Rush do a great "Arrgh!"?)

I think this latest film lacked some of the splashy (ahem!) or funny special effects, like the kracken, or the wagon wheel. It was more based on the big methos of ideas and darker themes like death, betrayal, and the history between the characters.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #124
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
no, there was no intermission. weird.
No, honestly. The fact we had an intermission is weird. I've been to see longer films and haven't experienced this since.... well probably since the 70s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
very clever. Very Disney.
That's definitely an oxymoron
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #125
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

The weather was very mellow and warm. It's been a great weekend for a couple of drives.
I made double time in a half today at work. That's like work one get one free!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #126
Ibby
erika

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #127
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I get to go on a field trip with my son, tomorrow!
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #128
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

2 DAYS TO THE BEACH !!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 AM   #129
ThirstySoul
Refrigerate after opening

In ~10 hours and 40 minutes, I get these casts off of my hands! I've been in casts for over 10 weeks after breaking both wrists. Can only type with a finger or voice recognition software. Oh to be able to scratch my hiney again, or feed myself without making a mess, and to finally get to drive again!!! Woohoo!
ThirstySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 AM   #130
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I just sent the final copy of my thesis to my professor. The only thing that stands between me and my Masters degree is a 20-minute presentation, which I'll be doing either later tonight or next week.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #131
jester
why so serious

whowee the bosses are gone & it's just me, for the rest of the day
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #132
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I just sent the final copy of my thesis to my professor. The only thing that stands between me and my Masters degree is a 20-minute presentation, which I'll be doing either later tonight or next week.
Rock on fella!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #133
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I have completed the collecting and organizing of the current state of our digital photography collection. 48 gb and 65 k files. Whew!

I am around the third turn and heading down the home stretch on the music library. Current status: 67 gb and 17 k files. I will finish today. Happeee!

Oh, then I'll be making a couple of images of the disk for backup.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #134
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I have completed the collecting and organizing of the current state of our digital photography collection. 48 gb and 65 k files. Whew!

I am around the third turn and heading down the home stretch on the music library. Current status: 67 gb and 17 k files. I will finish today. Happeee!

Oh, then I'll be making a couple of images of the disk for backup.
What's your organizational method for the photos?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #135
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Good question!

I found a bunch that didn't work for me.

Random -- easy to do, impossible to live with.

Date order -- the same.

Short subject name on folder -- still easy to do, but not... not navigable.

Other concepts that are more a part of the problem than of the solution:

Multiple cameras -- unavoidable, so just plan accordingly

Multiple computers -- also unavoidable, but can be networked, or shared etc. combination of problem and solution.

Multiple hard drives -- BIG part of the problem until synchronized. Then, BIG part of solution, especially regarding sharing and enjoying and redundancy.

Oh, you wanted me to answer your question. Ok.

I use Windows, and in Windows Explorer I settled on this directory structure:

..\placeholder dir\another placeholder dir\Pictures\

Then

\2000\01\
\2000\02\
\2000\03\
\2000\04\
\2000\05\
\2000\06\
\2000\07\
\2000\08\
\2000\09\
\2000\10\
\2000\11\
\2000\12\

I repeat this structure for 2001 - 2007.

Then

Under each month I create a folder name with a short descriptive title. Many times I repeat this folder name, or part of this folder name. For example, I have many different copies of \year\month\Kids or \year\month\Misc or \year\month\KidA sport or \year\month\KidB event or \year\month\KidC Bday. This lets me record the "birthday party pics" for different kids in the same year, and for the same kid in different years. I can also record picture taking sessions that happen only once "\year\month\Space Needle trip".

The chronological superstructure suits how I live in the world, how I remember stuff (mostly). For the things I'm not sure of I can "search" for a folder name and get multiple hits "Volleyball" or "Bday" and just get the subset of those folders.

There are exceptions to this method, of course. I have a folder named Misc, a sibling to the year layer of the directory structure. Under this I have \misc\pix and \misc\vids. In these folders I've put a bunch of .... junk stuff that I have accumulated that doesn't really fit anywhere else. At least until I come up with a better way to organize these misfits.

Back to the major structure. I envison adding another feature to the leaf folders described above: ..\year\month\event\outtakes. This will let me segregate the photos of a given event into keepers (focused, composed, interesting pictures) and then everything else. I have a hard time discarding photos unless they're complete crap, but when I'm going through the pictures of an event, it's nice to be able to view and show off the nicest ones first. I can/may even rename the pictures so that they sort properly.

Which reminds me, one of the critical attributes of the files that permit this kind of organization is "Date picture taken". It's in there in the metadata of the file produced by most cameras, even though the default Windows Explorer doesn't show that attribute. This is the hard date I use to determine where/where to put the picture/folder. Not the created date, that's the date the file was created on the disk and I might download from the camera to the computer several different photo "sessions". Not the modify date either. Some cameras don't provide this data, so I wing it.

Even further down the road I envision adding meta data to the pictures themselves, singly or in bulk. Right now the folder says \year\month\kida\bday but the pictures are named DSC00791.jpg. It would be nice to tag the picture with this data too. And with any other useful future search hook. Down the road though...

Did I answer your question? How do you do it? How do y'all do it?