The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

march 23rd, 2019: Pictures

I discovered a thread on Bored Panda containing 39 unusual pictures.
Some I'd seen before, many I had not. Here's a couple of them...

Quote:
Aurora's are breathtaking cosmic light displays that can be seen from various planets in our solar system. An aurora is the finale to a process that begins with the sun. The sun emits a constant stream of charged particles or solar wind into the solar system. When these winds reach a planet they interact with the magnetic field that surrounds it, and compresses the field into a teardrop shape. The way in which the magnetic field change cause the charged particles to accelerate into the upper atmosphere, colliding with molecules such as nitrogen and oxygen which gives off energy in the form of light. A light ribbon of color is displayed across the sky in an aurora.

Quote:
Here are some interesting facts about spacesuits, according to NASA:
1. A spacesuit weighs approximately 280 pounds on the ground - without the astronaut in it. In the microgravity environment of space, a spacesuit weighs nothing.
2. Putting on a spacesuit takes 45 minutes, including the time it takes to put on the special undergarments that help keep astronauts cool. After putting on the spacesuit, to adapt to the lower pressure maintained in the suit, the astronaut must spend a little more than an hour breathing pure oxygen before going outside the pressurized module.
3. The reason that spacesuits are white is because white reflects heat in space the same as it does here on Earth. Temperatures in direct sunlight in space can be more than 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. No difference exists in a male's or female's suit, though the female astronaut usually requires a smaller size.
5. The shuttle spacesuit was designed to be made of many interchangeable parts, to accommodate the large number of astronauts with widely varying body sizes. These parts (upper and lower torsos, arms, etc.) are made in different sizes.
6. The body measurements of each shuttle astronaut are taken and recorded. Then the measurements are plotted against the size ranges available for each spacesuit component. The suit components are then assembled. Training suits are usually assembled nine months prior to flight, and flight suits are usually assembled four months prior to flight.
Cool stuff.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

aaand apparently you get in through the backpack. interesting!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

And you get out only with help, sort of like a straitjacket.

There are probably some here far enough north to see aurora activity tonight.
Take a look.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
SPUCK
Professor

It appears the auroras all actually make complete circles! I didn't realize that! Probably a current has to flow all the way around.

Interesting about the suits too. If you think about it they need to simply put in high conductivity in the outer most layer. One side of them is 275F the other side is about 5F.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good point on the full circles, I guess when the Sun starts spitting out particles it's like a wet dog shaking,
with them going everywhere. So we get full coverage but they get pulled to the poles. That's interesting, I wonder
if when it's happening at the North Pole it's happening simultaneously at the South pole, or it can just do one pole
without the other? I would think both since that Sun pee is coming from the side.

Keep in mind it's not the pole, but the magnetic pole which drifts. Right now the Russians are pulling the North Pole
away at something like 35 miles a day.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's interesting, I wonder
if when it's happening at the North Pole it's happening simultaneously at the South pole, or it can just do one pole
without the other? I would think both since that Sun pee is coming from the side.
Sorta?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, sorta kinda in a way sometimes.
Thanks HM.