The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #736
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sad, but nature's way. You do stupid shit, you get fucked up and/or die.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #737
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

A very good perspective on an intelligent gun control measure:

Quote:

Arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to a jarring 28 years to life at Attica, I entered prison. For many years I sifted through a host of rationalizations, but today I accept responsibility. I’m sorry for killing Alex, sorry for taking all the life he could have had.

With this in mind, I wish to add some perspective to the gun-control debate. My first gun was a chrome .25 caliber automatic with a pink, pearl handle. It was beautiful. But it was a killing machine, and at 14 years old I had the same hole in my heart that President Obama, in a Chicago speech, stated other child killers had. I had no business with that gun. Yet making guns accessible to troubled souls is business as usual in America.

Here’s how the game works. Criminals manipulate people with clean records -- cash-strapped students, vulnerable women, drug addicts -- to buy guns for them in states with minimal oversight, like Virginia. The criminal transports the guns to New York, then resells them or trades them for drugs that he’ll take back to Virginia to sell. This was the hustle when I was out in the ‘90s. I’m sure some form of it still continues.

Likewise, it’s bizarre that the bazaars selling guns aren’t regulated. Websites like Armslist.com provide a buffet of leads for charismatic criminals to buy guns from private sellers. These sites are like perpetual gun shows, which are truly the ultimate forums to make connections for criminals who blend in well -- like me.

Bottom line, criminals create an indirect demand for gun manufacturers and merchandisers. For most criminals, purchasing a gun isn’t a one-shot deal. I had two separate gun-possession charges before I killed with an assault rifle. These are my convictions, but they hardly represent the number of guns I went through during my criminal career.

Engulfed in an orgy of violence, my last month of freedom was chaos. Home invasions, robberies, murder -- at the center of it all were guns: They would be disposed of, tossed after shoot-outs, then bought again. Easily. And I always bought new guns, so the notion that criminals just use stolen guns, acquired from a neighborhood burglar, is absurd. (The paper trail may suggest that, because the people making straw purchases also file false reports claiming the guns stolen.) Like most criminals, I created an extraordinary demand for the gun sector.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ontrol/278824/
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #738
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
Today after Obama mentioning how he would like to see Guantanamo closed I saw a quote from Lindsey Graham when it was last proposed saying:

“Simply stated, the American people don’t want to close Guantanamo Bay, which is an isolated, military-controlled facility, to bring these crazy bastards that want to kill us all to the United States,”

But he just voted against any change or increase background checks for gun purchases when the majority of Americans want them increased.

Oh the irony!
Well, Chris, tell me please how doing the antigenocide thing could add up to crazy?

Before you go demonstrating your ignorance of the three prerequisites to get a genocide going, consider that being a well-armed electorate physically prevents a genocide from being successful.

Doesn't stop the odd murder while running drugs, particularly when you note that users are dealers, but it does stop genocides.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #739
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We went over this many moons ago UG. Britain: gun control, no guns, no genocide. Iraq: no gun control, place is lousy with AK47s, genocide.

If you can't reasonably explain this, you MUST change your mind, if you are capable.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #740
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Wasn't there a recently released study showing Russia, which has strict gun control, has a very high gun violence rate? I believe it also showed Norway with a very high gun ownership rate but with the lowest gun violence in Europe.

Anyway, my 5 year old shoots guns and I hope she kills her first deer this year. Addie's "stepdad" and I are in the same hunting club
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #741
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
We went over this many moons ago UG. Britain: gun control, no guns, no genocide. Iraq: no gun control, place is lousy with AK47s, genocide.

If you can't reasonably explain this, you MUST change your mind, if you are capable.
Agreed. It is more about how violent the society is at the time. Violent societies with guns....gun violence. Non-violent societies with guns.....low gun violence. Violent societies without guns.....non-gun violence.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #742
lookout123
changed his status to single

tw must have lost his password.