The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Your help with just accepting the raw format would be a great help Toad. Not having the worry of downloading would eliminating a significant obslacle of the whole task. I'll have many other things to be concerned with at that point.

With a trip like that I would be a walking talking recording device of one sort or another. Prolly have a digital audio recorder going all the time just to know what the photos are about.

There would surely have to be high quality MPEGs as well, either with a high end still cam or a full fledged Sony mini-dvd or similar quality.

Can a memory card hold it's data through X-ray machines during shipping? That would make me nervous and we'd have to test that before going full out.

There would surely be other things that I'd want to send back as well, if nothing more sand from Mosul, Baghdad and Karbala.

There are countless issues of security, accomodations and entry requirements to consider as well.

AND if I went there and we put together a package of truly stunning images and recordings, sure, Cellarites would surely have access to them but I'd also want to arrange a collection for some type of profit.

This type of trip would cost a lot more than the others....not that this scares me but I'd want to make at least a portion of the costs back from the sale or use of the Images. We could come up with some kind of business partnership on this as your technical portion of the trip would not be quick or easy.

Someone here to very quickly overinight common things that the people might appreciate there would be nice too. We could put all the money and the shipping arrangements together beforehand.

I would LOVE to go there and do this. WILL I? I dont know but I'm working out some of the details now a full 6 months in advance.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Whatever it takes. I have a buddy who knows all the digital video editing side of things. I've seen the results and they are excellent if done tastefully. I would love a shot at it.

You could sell stuff freelance but I don't know what it would take to sell images. I'd be happy to try to get some of that stuff together though.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #18
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I've had the same memory card go through the airport xrays about 4 times now, and no problems with it whatsoever, all data intact.
And just a little plug: I absolutely love my Canon A620.. 7.1mp and a full range of controls. I've dragged this thing through the snow while sledding, and dropped it from 4 feet up onto a wooden bridge with the lcd screen out.. its a trooper of a camera from my experience.
Anyone looking to buy a decent digital point and shoot should be mainly concerned with two things: the sensor size (not mp), and how much control you are comfortable with over the whole shooting process. A larger image sensor will produce an image with less noise at higher ISOs than a smaller one with more megapixels.

Don't know where all that came from but there it is.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php is a wealth of photography information, I frequent there regularly as BullittMan.