The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp
If it makes you feel any better, the Lexapro rundown on <a href="http://www.crazymeds.org/lexapro.html">CrazyMeds</a> says that its effect on the libido is often less than that of other SSRIs. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the link... all the info was quite helpful. I think I'm going to be okay.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:24 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
I started Lexapro today... I'm really concerned with the "bedroom" side effects, but hopefully it won't be as bad as I think it will be.
I know several people on Lexapro. They do not report any of those side effects. Actually, they're getting it on more frequently as they are no longer depressed and have energy to spare.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I am not on lexapro (on prozac) and you can see it's not dampened my sex drive at all!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
undone
work in progess

I've been on 10mg of Lexapro since I had my 2nd baby nearly 5 years ago. It started with post partum and then dealing with all the stress of the kids etc got to be too much. I never want to stop taking it. I feel normal. Finally. I am a better parent and a better wife which makes me feel like a better person. I have less energy in the bedroom and I am carrying around a few extra pounds but I don't attribute it to the meds I attribute it to the heathens masquerading as my children.
I see it the same way as UT, why are these meds any different than the ones used to control other health problems. Anxiety and depression run in my family and I for one refuse to suffer needlessly.
My husband and I both had a poor opinion of these kinds of meds and the people who take them until I became one of those people. He is totally supportive of this regimen since he has had to cope with me when I am not taking the meds. Occasionally I forget to take it but I haven't seen any repercussions. The only drawback is I can't drink as heavily or as often as I used to. Which makes me a cheap drunk!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #20
superbaton
The Cellar team

Citalopram Hydrobromide

or better known as Celexa®
Old 09-23-2005, 07:34 AM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Been almost 2 months now vsp, time for another status report
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #22
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I'm now on a cocktail of Lexapro and Wellbutrin XL... so far so good. I was very mellow on the Lexapro - which was great, but at the same time, I usually a lot more energetic, so this seems to be helping. I think that it has made me return to being the me of yore... and many people close to me are having a hard time dealing with it. Mr.Saur has not been the most supportive because he keeps asking me what I tell my shrink and why I have these problems... it makes me really mad. I think he wants me to blame him for my problems. I told him that if I blame him or anything regarding him, I will come to it out of my own volition and not because the pills or Dr. told me too.

How are things working for you, vsp?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #23
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Staying at 50mg of Zoloft once daily, and it seems to be holding up well. The anxiety is sufficiently muted, and any physical ailments I'm still suffering from are therefore my own lookout. Tiredness, muscle aches, odd pains, etc. are attributable to lack of sufficient sleep and/or acid reflux.

Personality-wise, bedroom-wise, twitchiness-wise, no changes from a month ago, all pretty much at my "normal" state. So far, so good.

Probably the wrong day to ask, as I've been exhausted for the last day or two, but a good weekend of sleep will help cure that. Wife's birthday was Wednesday, so I was doing a lot of running around setting up some things.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
Mr.Saur has not been the most supportive because he keeps asking me what I tell my shrink and why I have these problems... it makes me really mad.
Sounds like Mr. Saur should go into counseling sessions with you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Mr. Saur should go to his own counsellor, and there should be a third couples/marital counsellor.

Never, ever, ever go to the same counsellor as your spouse or other family member. (exception ... one time family session type thing, but if it's to be ongoing, go separate)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #26
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Interesting twist: Been hearing the commercials for a new medication for Restless Legs Syndrome lately. Now, somewhere Jello Biafra is singing "TV invents a disease you think you have," and that goes double for a hypochondriac, but I _have_ been noticing twitchiness in my feet and lower legs more often over the last few months, particularly at bedtime. It happened once in a blue moon before that, but it has seemed more common lately; last night, it annoyed me for about half an hour as I was trying to go to sleep.

The commercial was a mild moment of clarity, one of those "Wait, this happens to other people too?" epiphanies. As the guide goes:
* It's a Physical Quirk if it's just something that happens to you.
* It's One Of Those Things if you talk to other people and they get it too.
* It's a Syndrome once an Expert gives it an official name.
* It's a Disease once Big Pharma creates a medication for it.

So I look it up, and what do I find? Along with expected triggers like stress, caffeine, fatigue and anxiety (all of which apply to me at intervals), assorted reports suggest that RLS can be aggravated by SSRIs and certain other medications. (SSRIs like Zoloft won't cause RLS in and of themselves, but they may cause it to be more frequent and/or noticeable).

Well, shit. So much for the "No side effects from Zoloft so far" status, though it's far from debilitating or something for which I'd seek additional medication.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #27
pinkrose12
Person Who Has Posted

I have been on many different medications. I too suffered from panic/anxiety attacks. I take klonopin for that now as a preventative. The panic attacks were really horrible and terrifying as I would get completely depersonalized and afraid that I wouldn't be able to get back inside my own skin. I couldn't connect with anyone when this happened, all I wanted to do was run away and get in my car and drive to my mother's house.
I first took xanax for the panic attacks. I could trust that they worked 100% of the time. But xanax has a much shorter half life than does klonopin. As the xanax wouls start to wear off I would begin to feel very anxious so now I take klonopin and have no problems with it.

I take effexor for depression and it works extremely well for me.

I take serequel for my fears like hypocondria. It tones my hypocondria way down and spaces my attacks out but I still have my moments when the slightest symptom will drive me into deep fear that I have some life threatenting disease.

I think what happens often in my case is that I transfer my anxiety about something else on to fears about disease.
pinkrose12 is offline   Reply With Quote