The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-26-2002, 09:24 AM   #16
Nic Name
retired

If you don't wanna switch ... the iPod does Windows.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,105263,00.asp
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:54 AM   #17
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Thanks Dave, now If I can just talk myself into spending that much cash....
Old 11-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #18
dave

It is definitely a pretty good investment, but I feel it's worth it. I'm on my second iPod now (gave my first one, a 5GB, to Jenni), so that should tell you something. Once you have it, you'll know it was worth the money.

But, if you don't have the money to spend, you can't really get one, either. I recommend the 10GB model @ $400. You can fit about 2,000 songs on it at 160KBps, it's about the size of a deck of playing cards, pretty light, runs for about 10-12 hours on a single charge... and you can put songs onto it at a pretty quick rate The navigation is really efficient (it's hard to stress how well this works - that's why I <b>strongly</b> recommend you play with one before buying) and... it's cool. There, I said it.

Plus, you don't have to carry around a boatload of minidiscs and whatnot. And the 32MB buffer gives you ~20 minutes of skip-free joy.

Hey, here's another thing - the display is amazing. If you get to play with one, here's a fun trick - hold it up close to your face and put your hands around it so it's really dark. Then hold the menu button (top part of the circle) for ~2 seconds so the backlight comes on. Man oh man. <b>Everyone</b> I have showed that to is impressed.

Nowadays, when I buy a CD, the first thing I do is rip it - and then stick it back in its case and toss it on a shelf. I never go anywhere without my iPod, and it's pretty much all I listen to music on.

And hey, if you're a university student, the 10GB is only $369. So that always helps.

If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask me. I've got no problem going on and on about probably my favorite toy
Old 11-26-2002, 12:31 PM   #19
dave

I should also note that you can have as many playlists on the iPod as you want - I just realized I maybe wasn't real clear about that earlier.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:16 PM   #20
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I should also note that you can have as many playlists on the iPod as you want - I just realized I maybe wasn't real clear about that earlier.
I was wondering about that! ("Damn, 2 playlists doesn't sound very useful...")

The only thing holding me back is that I use mine primarily for jogging. Research into iPods and jogging pretty much turned up "they appear to do fine, but no one knows how long they'll last with that kind of constant jarring."

That's not quite good enough for me; I know hard drives have come a long way but a head crash is still a head crash, so I'm sticking with no-moving-parts models. Although I have seen several anecdotes about people dropping them from their bike going 25 MPH, for example, and they do just fine.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #21
dave

It's definitely pretty tough, but I wouldn't recommend it for jogging. Here's how I use mine on any given day:

- in the car on the way to work - .5 hours
- sitting on my desk at work - 8.0 hours
- in the car on the way to the gym - .5 hours
- jogging on the elliptical trainer - .5 hours
- in the car on the way home - .25 hours

Though when it's on the elliptical trainer, it's not moving around as much as it would be when you're jogging. I think it probably <b>would</b> be okay for jogging, but if that's your main concern, I'd recommend a smaller solid-state player such as the MuVo. The iPod is super great for plane rides (never run out of new music), in the car (easy one-hand operation and a ton of music at your fingertips without the need to change CD's, etc), going for a walk, riding a bike... hey, pretty much everything <b>except</b> jogging. If I ever get into jogging, I will probably buy something like the MuVo and an arm-strap for it.

That having been said, the iPod is pretty tough. My dad dropped mine on the plane coming back from California in April (5GB model) - and then Jenni dropped it on a department store floor (from about waist height) a few months later, and it still works fine. My 10GB hasn't been dropped (except once, when it was in a padded case), so I can't speak of the newer models. But the old 5GB was definitely one tough cookie. I bet you could find 'em on eBay for ~$200, maybe even less.