The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #61
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Oh, and. ..
Choke11.4mpgChoke
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Psst... your Hemi ain't a hemi, it's a wedge.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

What's this now? It says hemi right on the deck lid! 2 plugs per cylinder....

It's an '06 5.7 ltr. I did notice that subsequent years removed the HEMI logo. .... have I been living a lie?!

What is the difference tween em?
Old 12-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mopar (Jeep) is trading on the reputation of the hemis of old, starting with the 241 ci through 392 ci in the 50's, but particularly the 426 ci from '66 to '70. The 426 was the motor that swept NASCAR, until they outlawed it. The name hemi was slang for hemispherical combustion chamber head design (which allowed better air flow in and out, at high rpm), as opposed to the 383 ci through 440 ci big block Mopars which had a wedge head design.

Around Y2K they tried to build a new V-8 engine with hemi heads but couldn't make one pass emission standards and mileage demands. The only true hemi in the lineup was the 4 cylinder PT Cruiser.

Enter the marketing boys. Since hemi is a slang term having no legal definition, but conjures up the rump-de-rump of Mopar's hayday, we'll use it anyway. So what does Hemi mean? Nothing much, it's a marketing term for their V-8 motors.

By the way, the 426 ci ground pounding "elephant" motors they're alluding to... they only sold 11,000 total in the 60's.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #65
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
It's an '06 5.7 ltr.
A 5.7 liter Chrysler engine was 60 hp/liter in the 2006 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum. By the 1990s, that was an obsolete technology. A 5.7 liter engine in a 2006 Dodge Durango was less - only 59 Hp/liter.

Minimum for any gasoline car since 1992 was 70 Hp/liter. Another of so many reasons why no car needs a six or eight cylinder engine.

Higher performance engines also mean less pollution. Another problem with obsolete technology Hemis.

To make them noisier - so the naive wish it is a high performance muscle car - the 5.7 liter engine in the Dodge Charger was a pathetic 44 Hp/liter. More noise means it is burning more gas uselessly in the exhaust pipe - to enthrall the penis. Low performance (ie 44 Hp/liter) indicates a vehicle of less quality and shorter life expectancy. Crappy (noisier) engines also identify consumers easily brainwashed by myths and soundbytes. As if names such as Hemi, Mustang, or Camaro prove it is better.

A car built in the past 20 years with a V-8 is for consumers who are manipulated by soundbytes; will spend more for an inferior (obsolete technology) product. What was innovative in the 1960s was also obsolete technology by the 1980s. Hemi is a name from ancient history - when cars were being designed by engineers; not by bean counters.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #66
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Thanks, man. I was having difficulty describing to Amanda what flavor of crazy you were. That oughta do it, though.

"My penis is enthralled.' That's great. That's tw-an for 'gives me wood', right?

Well, yeah. The hemi gives me a semi.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #67
tw

Quote:
Thanks, man. I was having difficulty describing to Amanda what flavor of crazy you were.
You do not even know the basics of cars. A finance guy with little knowledge about the product. You probably even drive a V-8. No wonder you only post insults.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I know the basics of your mom
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #69
tw

Quote:
I know the basics of your mom
Basic knowledge says V-8 engines have long been obsolete technology. Recognizing your ignorance, you do what a child does in anger: attack with insults. Deny reality.

You have and post no facts. Just a misguided belief in an obsolete technology. You believed an advertising sales gimmick – Hemi. Cheapshots and naivety do not change reality. A world's lowest performance 2006 engine is a Hemi in a Dodge Challenger.

Advertising easily manipulates the naïve. But worry if you wake up some morning to find a talking Gecko making your breakfast. You do believe in Geckos, don’t you? Advertising says so.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #70
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If Lola Bunny wants a chauffeur, I'll work for only fringe benefits (wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more).
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #71
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Tom,
I reply to you with insults because you are nearly impossible to communicate with. You don't listen to what people say, you just keep repeating yourself. I've said multiple times in this very thread that I have a 2006 Jeep Commander that has a 5.7 ltr V8. Yet, a couple posts ago, you say I probably drive a V8.

I've been on this forum since 2003... In the car business the whole time, and 8 years before that. How could you seriously say that I don't know the basics of cars? I've helped several people buy cars... Hell, I even spearheaded buying a car for someone. I know you know that because you contributed to it!

I would like to get to know you better so that we could communicate effectively. How can we do that? You wanna meet up for beers some time or something?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #72
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

After Lola Bunny gets her new car, I don't think we'll have to worry about her coming back here saying "I could've had a V8! "
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #73
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

yep, v8 is the way to go
Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #74
Griff
still says videotape

Just picked up my kid in town after a nice snowfall, I still love my Suzuki SX4.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Weeee!